*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine knock...but described well

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Engine knock...but described well

Postby Stitch » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:55 am

2011 Transit mk7 85hp swb low roof, 110k 2nd owner. Full service up to 92k, then I got it at110k.

It had a knock when I bought it, but the circumstances in which it came to me meant I couldn’t resist.

As soon as I got it, I did a full service, with best quality kit.

I’ve done 5k miles.

Knock only exists at idle, as soon as it gets to 15k/2k rpm knock goes.

No smoke. Starts first time. Pulls well. Sits happy at all speeds. Tics over well.

Breaths heavy on oil filler cap removal, but not frighteningly so, kinda like a bunged up breather pipe type thing (I think).

But the knock is doing my napper in, I’m not bothered about the noise, it’s not loud or obtrusive, but it’s there and I know it is and I don’t know what’s making it or if it’s just normal or if it’s about to drop it’s guts. It’s the not knowing that does my head in.

So please for the love of anything/everything/nothing or anything else.......please please please someone give me an idea of what to do to find out what the knock is......

(Ps I’m not a mechanic, but I build motorcycles for a hobby, so I am mechanically minded, but no idea of technical terms etc)

Pss seriously I’m retired on mental health issues, so my heads never right, but this is insane. It’s 3am and I’ve been up since 7am reading everything I can find.

HELP, PLEASE.
confused, bemused and bewildered.....and that’s on a good day
Stitch
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Engine knock...but described well

Postby Airthies » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:08 am

Check injectors, is there oil around them where they come through the cover?
If so it may be just loose injectors, they would need removed, seats cleaned up and recut, refitted with new copper washers, new uprated clamp and new bolt.
Maybe get them tested while there out.

Sent from my anu5 using crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Stitch » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:10 am

Cheers....I’ll have a nose tomorrow and if I see as you suggest I’ll book it in ASAP. I appreciate you replying :-)
Stitch
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Stitch » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:41 am

If looking from towards the front of the van. 1st cylinder on the left going to 4th on the right, cylinder 3 had oil deposits all around. Unplugged the wires I dividualy but that made no difference. Put everything back together, noise no worse or better.
Need to take it to see my mate to do a diesel test, ya know with the tubes and glass vessels.
In the meantime I took off the belts from the crank pulley as I read they can cause issues.
Removed belts, no difference, removed pulley, no difference, put back together with original parts as theywhere in good condition, no tears or breaks, used my neat way of using a tool I made to put the belts on. All torqued up, first to 45nm, the 120degree turn on stretch bolts, never reuse stretch bolts more than twice.
Engine still knocking.
I’m a biker n know sh*t loads of mechanics. There’s now a sweep stake going on cos no f*** got a clue.
People moan about the nhs, but as a nurse I’ve never rubbed my chin and said “well it could be this, or this, or this! “

I’m thinking if I get the diesel test done, replace the ‘O’ ring or washer and it’s still got the noise, I’ll find a new engine.

No fault codes are showing, so I’m hoping this is a good sign.
No smoke. Runs well. Accelerates well (ish 85bhp)
So times 1st gear jump out at traffic lights and 3rd can be notchy.

Apart from that all is well. I’ve done 4K since I bought it and thenoise has t altered.

Advice??
Thoughts??
P!ss takes??

Yeh I build bikes, yeh I build bike engines, but they’re different to van engines cos they’re a: not in a van an b. Engines in cars or vans are in my head totally different, which they are really, but in my small twisted mind they’re different.

So yeh....please....
Stitch
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Mad Husky » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Sounds like my van but mines a lot older but same symptoms. Mechanic at the truck garage when i got it mot'd said sounds like timing chain tensioner not looked at it yet so don't know hoping it will last until after race season.
Mad Husky
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits