*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

brake lights not working

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

brake lights not working

Postby tonycarr » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:55 pm

hi....i have a 2010 mk7 transit

my brake/stop lights just failed to operate, i checked the bulbs and they are all good,.... i checked the fuse (fuse No F65) that is ok also,... i then purchased a new Brake Stop Light Switch.....still no brake lights?

not sure where to go now???........ is there a relay i should check?

i noticed that when i changed the switch which is black in colour that there is another switch below (a blue and white one) for brake pedal position? i think looking at (euro car parts) this may be just for vans with cruise control which i dont have, i do wonder why its there if i dont have it? perhaps its there if i want to fit cruise control?? please tell me if im wrong

as i say, not sure where to go now

any help would be greatly appreciated

tony
tonycarr

Re: brake lights not working

Postby NSG666 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:17 pm

I have a 2012 Transit and when it was 3 years old I had all sorts of problems with the brake lights bring on dash warning symbols. I removed both rear light clusters and found the connectors very crudded up. A good clean and a squirt with electrical contact spray and they have been fine since. Not sure it will fix your problem but it's worth a try.
NSG666

Postby tonycarr » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:42 pm

Anything's worth a try, thanks nsg666
tonycarr

Postby tonycarr » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:51 pm

FIXED :D

turns out it was the brake light switch, it had developed a fault, as there was no reading on my multi meter

i took the switch apart, inside there are 2 plastic parts, one black and one white, these had become misaligned with the spring plunger, messed about for ages to try and align them whilst at the same time clicking the switch back together

in the end i fixed it by discarding the 2 plastic bits dropping a 10mm washer into the bottom and then fitting it back together with the spring plunger now when the plunger is pressed and de-pressed it simply moves the washer back and forwards engaging and dis-engaging, creating the circuit ....JOB DONE...WORKS PERFECTLY
tonycarr

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits