*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What is this pipe for?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: What is this pipe for?

Postby philclemo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Thanks James, the thing is the EGR pipe was fitted to the valve but not to the exhaust manifold (the pipe is complete also). So it was blanked at both the valve and the exhaust.

I'm glad you confirmed that there is a difference but I'm still stumped, it doesn't make a lot of sense as to why the flange is different
philclemo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby philclemo » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:38 pm

Here's a pic of the EGR tube.

DSC_0447.jpg

EGR end is on the left
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
philclemo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby James-B93 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:35 pm

philclemo wrote:Thanks James, the thing is the EGR pipe was fitted to the valve but not to the exhaust manifold (the pipe is complete also). So it was blanked at both the valve and the exhaust.

I'm glad you confirmed that there is a difference but I'm still stumped, it doesn't make a lot of sense as to why the flange is different

Yeah that’s the same pipe as fitted to mine, just sounds like some questionable design choices from Ford!
James-B93
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby philclemo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:11 pm

Update.

After a lot of searching I managed to buy the correct EGR pipe for my ABFA engine. It was an eBay seller who was very helpful in measuring up the exhaust flange for me. This pipe is very different to the one on my engine and there was no way it was going to marry up to the manifold outlet.

So, I thought, if I drill out the bung fitted into the EGR outlet on the exhaust manifold I could maybe find some way of attaching the EGR pipe. After a week or so of drilling, breaking numerous bits, swearing etc I finally realised what I was attempting was impossible.

I sourced a second hand manifold, bought gaskets for the head to manifold and Cat to manifold unions and took the plunge on Saturday morning. As I was part way through this whole process I had already removed the turbo to air box pipe and disconnected the brake servo vacuum hose. So the first thing to do was the disconnect the oil feed and oil return pipes on the turbo. Next issue was the exhaust and Cat. The Cat is large and fills most of the void between the engine and the bulkhead. I undid the two nuts on the Cat bracket. I then removed the four nuts holding the Cat to the manifold. Then, supporting the centre boxes with a trolley jack placed in line with the exhaust I unhooked its rubbers and then manipulated the whole system backwards.

This gave access to the manifold fixings, all 13mm bolts except cylinder No 2 lower and No 3 upper which are 15mm nuts on studs. Access was restricted to most of them the worst being No 1 upper, this was done by feel more than anything.

Once free, we lifted the manifold/turbo assembly out over the top of the engine. Now on the bench we removed the turbo. Remember the actuator rod is held with an E clip. The original one crumbled on removal, so new one sourced from our local motor factors all was good. To allow fitting we applied a little air pressure to the actuator to push the rod to a more convenient position. Secured the turbo with its clamp, gasket in place and back on it went. I now had to refit the Cat/exhaust system, then the hose to the turbo. As I purchased a new EGR too, that was fitted. A note of caution here. The threaded holes in the new valve where not quite a long as the original which meant that the screws that hold the EGR to the air box could have potentially either cracked the valve body or stripped the threads. I reduced the length of the screws and all was good. Finally I attached the new EGR pipe which did fit perfectly by the way.

Take a look at the old manifold, and my attempt to remove the bung. The top threaded screw hole had been bodged and the lower one was filled with a broken stud and to think I was going to attempt to either drill and tap it or weld a stud to it - all blind. What was I thinking?
DSC_0463.JPG

Anyway all appears to be working, first test drive presented a whooshing noise which turned out to be a loose jubilee clip on the intercooler pipe on the EGR. The MOT will be the ultimate test however.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
philclemo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby philclemo » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:04 pm

Another Update

Presented the Transit for MOT this week and it passed an the second time of asking. The emission test was passed with flying colours to quote the tester. The initial fail was corrosion to a nearside rear outrigger which was rectified quickly and to his satisfaction.

Happy days!
philclemo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Ducatiman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:40 pm

OMG! I'm in the process of deciding which van to get, Transit was on my list but having read this horror story I'm shaking in my boots!! :)

My 08 connect was a nightmare, even had to replace one of the alternator brackets as the dipstick tube was bolted to that and a previous owner had glued the casting back together when it broke.
Ducatiman

Postby philclemo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:39 pm

I think you are quite safe choosing a Transit, this is definitely a one off and most probably a previous owner having a brain fart!
philclemo
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits