Transitmania 12 @Santa Pod 15th to 17th May 2020


Sliding door lock jammed

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Sliding door lock jammed

Postby ZoeAndBritney » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:36 pm

Hi! Thanks for having me here.

I bought my transit MK7 just over a week ago. The sliding door was never locking properly from the start. It would stay locked but the van would always beep after I locked it to tell me that it wasn't lining up properly with the sensor. I never had any problem getting it locked or unlocked physically though.

I noticed yesterday morning, while the door was open, that the catch had jammed in the locked position. I tried opening it with the back dial that manually unlocks the door but it won't turn all the way to 2 o clock. Just from 12 to about 1. After watching some videos on the locking mechanism I decided to try to take the entire actuator/lock out and see if I could get it working, however I couldn't get it out as I cant get the black dial etc off. In the end I just took the bolt off (the bit that the lock catches on when you lock it) in order to shut the door full and chain it from the inside so I can leave until a mechanic can come and have a look at it.

Any tips on what I can try to fix this myself? New locks are very expensive and mechanics don't seem to want to go near it. If anyone can recommend a mechanic in Brighton that would also be great.

Thanks in advance,

Zoe

Zoe
ZoeAndBritney
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:24 pm
Location: Brighton UK

Re: Sliding door lock jammed

Postby Stumble » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:28 pm

See this - particularly my last post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=202109&c=1

Black knob pulls out with sharp snatch

See vid, the lock lever must spring back as in vid, if not adjust as shown
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:17 pm
Location: SW UK

Re: Sliding door lock jammed

Postby ZoeAndBritney » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:18 pm

Stumble wrote:See this - particularly my last post viewtopic.php?f=5&t=202109&c=1

Black knob pulls out with sharp snatch

See vid, the lock lever must spring back as in vid, if not adjust as shown


Thanks so much for this! I did watch this video yesterday actually and was planning on having a go at it today but was worried about forcing the black knob out incase it snapped inside. I'll have another look at it though! I could also only get one of the cables undone as my van is converted and my sink is somewhat in the way :lol:

Will update tomorrow once I've had a wiggle around.

Thanks again!
ZoeAndBritney
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:24 pm
Location: Brighton UK

Re: Sliding door lock jammed

Postby ZoeAndBritney » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:36 pm

UPDATE: I got the mechanism out. If you have time to watch this video I made and let me know what I should do next that would be fab :D really determined not to have to call a mechanic for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r87Ap0RosHg
ZoeAndBritney
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:24 pm
Location: Brighton UK

Re: Sliding door lock jammed

Postby Stumble » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:40 pm

ZoeAndBritney wrote:UPDATE: I got the mechanism out. If you have time to watch this video I made and let me know what I should do next that would be fab :D really determined not to have to call a mechanic for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r87Ap0RosHg


IIRC, you flip the yellow plastic part up, its sort of hinged one side, then you can release cable
The other one, I think you move white plastic part, so you can get cable nipple out, then release cable
Hard for me to describe

I think you' might be best getting Stanley knife and carefully trimming that plastic out. You're unlikely to get it back in At your risk tho
Use WD or 3in1 spray and clean and lube the lock lever area

Was that actuator working and or making noises ?
Where are you ?

You should be able to unlock it by pulling one of those cable ends out of the body
If the actuator is not working, might be best to take it out of the body
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:17 pm
Location: SW UK

Re: Sliding door lock jammed

Postby ZoeAndBritney » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:58 am

Stumble wrote:
ZoeAndBritney wrote:UPDATE: I got the mechanism out. If you have time to watch this video I made and let me know what I should do next that would be fab :D really determined not to have to call a mechanic for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r87Ap0RosHg


IIRC, you flip the yellow plastic part up, its sort of hinged one side, then you can release cable
The other one, I think you move white plastic part, so you can get cable nipple out, then release cable
Hard for me to describe

I think you' might be best getting Stanley knife and carefully trimming that plastic out. You're unlikely to get it back in At your risk tho
Use WD or 3in1 spray and clean and lube the lock lever area

Was that actuator working and or making noises ?
Where are you ?

You should be able to unlock it by pulling one of those cable ends out of the body
If the actuator is not working, might be best to take it out of the body


Thanks for your response.

I'm in Brighton.

I've tried pulling all the cable ends but nothing unlocks. Not sure about the actuator, I didn't pay much attention to it before this happened so I wasn't listening out for noises or anything but I'm pretty sure it was working fine. I don't know if I should order a new part today just in case. I can't really leave my van unlocked like this for much longer.

I'm hoping with a good clean up and some fiddling it might snap back into action!
ZoeAndBritney
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:24 pm
Location: Brighton UK

Re: Sliding door lock jammed

Postby Stumble » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:15 am

If you have flat battery you cant try it ? or have you sorted that ?
As you've adjusted it and assuming the actuator is ok, it may well work now - IIRC there's only one screw holding actuator in, if it has jammed it could stop it working
Don't forget to clean and lube the lever area
Chinese actuators (as mine is) are cheap enough and do work but the lock itself is hefty money new
Sorry but Brighton is too far for me to offer assistance
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:17 pm
Location: SW UK

Re: Sliding door lock jammed

Postby ZoeAndBritney » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:05 am

Thanks so much for all your advice, I greatly appreciate it!

It's just the leisure battery that's flat, so it should affect anything. I could have been working with the engine running but trying to draw as little attention to my unlocked van parked in the street as possible :lol:

Plan for today is to clean and lube it, take out some of the plastics stuff and put it all back to test it

I may well order an actuator too to save time and if it's not needed I'm sure I can pass it on to someone else.

Thanks so much again!
ZoeAndBritney
Newbie
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:24 pm
Location: Brighton UK

Re: Sliding door lock jammed

Postby Stumble » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:32 am

Fingers crossed :wink:
Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:17 pm
Location: SW UK

Re: Sliding door lock jammed

Postby Stumble » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:44 pm

Stumble
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:17 pm
Location: SW UK


Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users