*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

power steering union

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

power steering union

Postby Onionman » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:35 pm

mk6 2000 2.4 TDDI RWD

Can someone tell me how #2 comes apart. Maybe a link to a video?

I think #1 releases the hard pipe, and then i just pull out the hard pipe up at #2?

Do i need to undo the 18mm nut around the hard pipe at the power steering pump.
I need a new teflon seal fo the 18mm nut, as it leaks there. i assume theres an oring on the pipe?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Onionman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: power steering union

Postby andz327 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:43 am

If it's similar to the fwd set up , un bolt the two mounting bolts at position *A*. then slacken the 18mm nut and remove *B* as the pipe comes out with nut attached, you'll need to either replace pipe and nut or carefully cut /split old nut off pipe without damaging pipe as once pipe is pushed into this nut, the nut can only be removed off pipe by cutting off(without damaging pipe) and the seal that leaks is part of the inside of the nut.
The nut supposedly gets torqued into pump then pipe pushes into fitted nut
I've replaced a few for mates by carefully cutting using Dremel with metal cutting discs Image

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Onionman » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:53 am

Wow!! In 15 years of panel beating I've never seen such a rubbish idea.

I wrapped the thread of the union nut with a heap of ptfe tape today. Looks good initially, hope it will hold while I source a part.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk
Onionman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:34 pm

Onionman wrote:Wow!! In 15 years of panel beating I've never seen such a rubbish idea.

I wrapped the thread of the union nut with a heap of ptfe tape today. Looks good initially, hope it will hold while I source a part.

they don't leak up the threads...they leak up the O-ring in the middle of the union.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:53 am

knobby1 wrote:
Onionman wrote:Wow!! In 15 years of panel beating I've never seen such a rubbish idea.

they don't leak up the threads...they leak up the O-ring in the middle of the union.

Lord Knobrot
Yuip i did mention the seal that leaks is inside the nut but guess there's a sh!t load of ptfe tape stuffed in the union noo mucker

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Onionman » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:27 am

Strange mine was definitely leaking out the thread. Looking forward to using the dremel and small cutting wheel...hope I don't mess it up lol should just buy the pipe now lol

Onionman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits