*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sump Change Advice - Mk6 2.0 Di FWD

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Sump Change Advice - Mk6 2.0 Di FWD

Postby yakob » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:19 pm

Hello people, never posted on here before, hope I'm doing it right!

I was on the M6 yesterday and something rolled out from under a lorry, I had no time to react and I hit it with a huge bang. Not sure what it was, but some kind of metal cylinder. Looked a bit like a fuel filter or camping gas canister. Anyway it hit the sump, which is now crumpled and leaking.

Seems I got off pretty lucky given what it could have hit, and I've just got a new sump for £30. It seems like a simple job but I'm no mechanic and have a couple of questions:

1) Do you think something else might have been damaged except for the actual sump/oil pan? I really don't want to take it off, only to find the problem is bigger than thought. And then have to wait around for parts with a dry engine.

2) The new sump (from TPUK) comes with a gasket but Haynes say to use sealant. I've been planning to just use the gasket but is there any reason I shouldn't?

I'll add some pictures in a min. I think I've explained everything there is to explain. Does this sound like a disaster waiting to happen?

Any advice much appreciated. Cheers
Mk6 2.0 Di FWD
yakob
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Sump Change Advice - Mk6 2.0 Di FWD

Postby yakob » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:28 pm

Here are the pics of sump
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mk6 2.0 Di FWD
yakob
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:34 pm

Without removing the sump it’s hard to say if it broke anything else, that said the only thing in there is the oil pick up, I used rtv sealant on the sump and torqued the bolt up.

At least you want have to drain the oil with the van being upside down :lol: :lol:
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby yakob » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:46 pm

Yeah, just need to bite the bullet and get in there. Should have all the bits + oil by Sunday. Fingers crossed the pickup is still in tact, would cost me more than the sump by the look of it.

I'll roll the van back over to drain dont worry, just wanted to get some good pics! :lol:
Mk6 2.0 Di FWD
yakob
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Chug » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:33 pm

It looks like the oil pick up might just survive, but I can imagine the bang it made and what happened to the cannister did it come out behind you and hit any other vehicle, or what?
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby v8dave » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:30 pm

Don't use the gasket.

The gasket supplied for many aftermarket applications ( not just Transits ) is usually too soft.
When you do the bolts up the flange of the new sump gets bent by the force on the bolts, it then leaks.
Sealent on the gasket acts as a lubricant and makes the problem worse.

When you use the sealant only the excess just squeezes out of the way.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby yakob » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:32 pm

Chug wrote:It looks like the oil pick up might just survive, but I can imagine the bang it made and what happened to the cannister did it come out behind you and hit any other vehicle, or what?

No idea what happened to it afterwards, I was taken completely by surprise. I had a look at the dashcam footage and I reckon it's less than a second between it appearing, and it hitting the sump. Can only hope it ended up off the road because it could do some serious damage to a lower vehicle.

My immediate reactions was f*king furious as Ive been in and out of the garage for weeks and finally got my MOT only to hit some stray scrap on the first proper trip. If it happened again I like to think I'd be much calmer!
Mk6 2.0 Di FWD
yakob
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yakob » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:53 pm

v8dave wrote:Don't use the gasket.

The gasket supplied for many aftermarket applications ( not just Transits ) is usually too soft.
When you do the bolts up the flange of the new sump gets bent by the force on the bolts, it then leaks.
Sealent on the gasket acts as a lubricant and makes the problem worse.

When you use the sealant only the excess just squeezes out of the way.

Thanks for this. I was hoping to use the cork gasket because its cheaper and easier and less messy, but the last thing I want is to be redoing it. Just bought some Loctite 510 as recommended in the manual. Bloody expensive stuff mind! I've read some people say and old sealant is fine but not being very experienced I like the peace of mind of a proper product. Am glad I joined this forum now instead of jumping straight in there!
Mk6 2.0 Di FWD
yakob
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yakob » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:56 pm

I got the sump off alright :D

took oil pickup off expecting to have a good clean, but turns out it's already spotless. putting it back on, there's a very small gap between pickup pipe and the engine. can't remember if it was like that before. I undid the bolts and retightend while gently pushing the pickup into position. it improved slightly but theres still a little gap. does that matter?

doesn't ever seem like it'll be watertight but I have no clue about these little details. oil pickup isn't even in the haynes index.

hoping to get new sump on after work tomorrow, if someone could put my mind at ease that would be great!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mk6 2.0 Di FWD
yakob
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yakob » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:21 pm

Spotted the o-ring hidden in a recess, happy days
Mk6 2.0 Di FWD
yakob
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits