*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 7 Surging at idle

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk 7 Surging at idle

Postby waerhy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:56 pm

Lived with it for a while now but its starting to do my head in a bit. The van Starts first flick every time and runs faultless when driving, but 90% of the time at idle hot or cold the revs surge up and down slightly. Sometimes it levels out when you lift off the clutch out of gear sometimes not.

60 plate FWD 2.2 tdci
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk 7 Surging at idle

Postby Altransit » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:33 pm

If it does it when the clutch is down, that will be the anti-stall software faffing about. I think it's fairly common, but not sure if it's fixable :? :roll:

Or it's this :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=73368
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:35 pm

waerhy wrote:Lived with it for a while now but its starting to do my head in a bit. The van Starts first flick every time and runs faultless when driving, but 90% of the time at idle hot or cold the revs surge up and down slightly. Sometimes it levels out when you lift off the clutch out of gear sometimes not.

60 plate FWD 2.2 tdci

Could also be a poorly SCV.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby waerhy » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:44 pm

Altransit wrote:If it does it when the clutch is down, that will be the anti-stall software faffing about. I think it's fairly common, but not sure if it's fixable :? :roll:

Or it's this :arrow: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=73368

It does it with the clutch out too.
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby waerhy » Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:53 pm

The van is has also started to miss fire when starting from cold and at idle. It drives fine though when I pull away, only seems to do it a idle. Been reading up on PSV and SVC being a common problem, would this be a good starting point to get changed out?
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby waerhy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:37 pm

Update on this. I did a pump and injector learn through Forscan which cured the van for about 4 days, so I decided to fit a new PRV and SCV (Denso ones). The SCV went on no bother but the PRV is pouring fuel out when I start the van. Does it have to be stupidly tight or PTFE tape on the threads? the one that came out had no PTFE on it so I thought against it. The picture is of the new one, I put the old one back in and no leaks at all

processed.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:18 pm

waerhy wrote:Update on this. I did a pump and injector learn through Forscan which cured the van for about 4 days, so I decided to fit a new PRV and SCV (Denso ones). The SCV went on no bother but the PRV is pouring fuel out when I start the van. Does it have to be stupidly tight or PTFE tape on the threads? the one that came out had no PTFE on it so I thought against it. The picture is of the new one, I put the old one back in and no leaks at all
processed.jpeg

Yes, they're done up to a silly torque, 172nm or ~126lbft, definitely no PTFE tape, pieces of it could fall off and get into the injection system. What sealing washer is fitted to it.?? The sealing washer, (Ford call it a gasket), can get stuck inside. They usually have a thin sealing washer, the cheaper aftermarket/eBay valves often have a thicker crush washer.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby waerhy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:52 pm

knobby1 wrote:
waerhy wrote:Update on this. I did a pump and injector learn through Forscan which cured the van for about 4 days, so I decided to fit a new PRV and SCV (Denso ones). The SCV went on no bother but the PRV is pouring fuel out when I start the van. Does it have to be stupidly tight or PTFE tape on the threads? the one that came out had no PTFE on it so I thought against it. The picture is of the new one, I put the old one back in and no leaks at all
processed.jpeg

Yes, they're done up to a silly torque, 172nm or ~126lbft, definitely no PTFE tape, pieces of it could fall off and get into the injection system. What sealing washer is fitted to it.?? The sealing washer, (Ford call it a gasket), can get stuck inside. They usually have a thin sealing washer, the cheaper aftermarket/eBay valves often have a thicker crush washer.

Lord Knobrot

Sealing washer? :oops: there were 2 washers in the box but they were on the banjo fitting end
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:28 pm

waerhy wrote:Sealing washer? :oops: there were 2 washers in the box but they were on the banjo fitting end

There will/should be a sealing washer inside the fuel rail where the valve screws in. Best you check to see if the old one is still stuck in there..!

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby waerhy » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:00 pm

processed (1).jpeg

Not had a chance to take the old one off, but this is all I got in the box. there was no sealing washer for the large threaded end that fits inside the rail. Is it an o ring?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:49 am

waerhy wrote:
processed (1).jpeg

Not had a chance to take the old one off, but this is all I got in the box. there was no sealing washer for the large threaded end that fits inside the rail. Is it an o ring?

Not an O-ring...there's the best part of 1600bar, (23,200psi) in there at full noise, no O-ring is gunna hold that..

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby waerhy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:01 am

knobby1 wrote:
waerhy wrote:
processed (1).jpeg

Not an O-ring...there's the best part of 1600bar, (23,200psi) in there at full noise, no O-ring is gunna hold that..

Lord Knobrot

So I'm missing a seal of some sort? any idea what?

Also just found this manual

https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/trans ... tdci_(puma)_diesel/description_and_operation/diagnosis_and_testing/general_procedures/removal_and_installation/fuel_pressure_relief_valve/
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby waerhy » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:33 pm

any idea where I can get a new sealing washer from?
waerhy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:37 pm

waerhy wrote:any idea where I can get a new sealing washer from?

Is the old one not still stuck in the fuel rail..??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Brettbear63 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:18 am

my van had the same surging problem , I changed my Air filter and it stopped , I think that as it couldnt breathe properly it was struggling at tickover
Brettbear63
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits