*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Non Starter

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Non Starter

Postby WrexhamIan123456 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:59 pm

Hi,

2011 2.2 85ps 130K

Had high crankcase pressure, oil bubbling through injector seals. Replaced copper washers and o rings but still pressure in rocker cover, nothing coming out of breather pipe. Van ran fine for a while even with breather problem, just had to keep topping oil up. Then it started making a noise above 2500rpm (sounded like exhaust noise but wasnt, hard to explain but loud like exhaust wasnt on.) Pulled into my road and put it in reverse to get on drive and she died on me and will not start. Turns over but wont fire. Have taken rocker cover off to have a root about and one of the injector clamps was loose, could it be that simple? Will replace with new seals and get a new rocker cover as well as it was all cracked underneath and diaghram for breather looked knackard. While the cover is off, is there any way of doing some sort of compression test through the injector ports while they are out? I have had a borescope down there but cant really see anything. Also is it worth getting injectors tested while they are out? Do these have a DPF, have read somewhere that they dont? Have had fuel rail off and cleaned. SCV, PRV problem why it wont start? Can only do so much with a Haynes manual and youtube lol. Hope you can help. cheers.
WrexhamIan123456
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Non Starter

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:05 am

WrexhamIan123456 wrote:Hi,

2011 2.2 85ps 130K

Had high crankcase pressure, oil bubbling through injector seals. Replaced copper washers and o rings but still pressure in rocker cover, nothing coming out of breather pipe. Van ran fine for a while even with breather problem, just had to keep topping oil up. Then it started making a noise above 2500rpm (sounded like exhaust noise but wasnt, hard to explain but loud like exhaust wasnt on.) Pulled into my road and put it in reverse to get on drive and she died on me and will not start. Turns over but wont fire. Have taken rocker cover off to have a root about and one of the injector clamps was loose, could it be that simple? Will replace with new seals and get a new rocker cover as well as it was all cracked underneath and diaghram for breather looked knackard. While the cover is off, is there any way of doing some sort of compression test through the injector ports while they are out? I have had a borescope down there but cant really see anything. Also is it worth getting injectors tested while they are out? Do these have a DPF, have read somewhere that they dont? Have had fuel rail off and cleaned. SCV, PRV problem why it wont start? Can only do so much with a Haynes manual and youtube lol. Hope you can help. cheers.

Firstly, it depends on what month in 2011 it was built..! Any Mk7 built from 26th September 2011 will be Euro-5 and have a DPF. Easiest way to tell is stick your head underneath and have a look. If you have a PRV in one end of the fuel rail, it will be Euro-4.

If Euro-4...Were the copper washer seats reamed & cleaned properly.?? Were new bolts and upgraded clamps fitted..?? Were they torqued correctly..?? If you have pressure in the rocker cover and nothing comming out of the breather...that would indicate a blockage of some sort in the breather system...or a possible cracked piston..??

Compression test can be done through the injector holes or the glow plug holes. Testing of injectors..?? How many miles on them..?? Some have been know to do over 500k miles without issue.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WrexhamIan123456 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:32 pm

knobby1 wrote:
WrexhamIan123456 wrote:Hi,

2011 2.2 85ps 130K

Firstly, it depends on what month in 2011 it was built..! Any Mk7 built from 26th September 2011 will be Euro-5 and have a DPF. Easiest way to tell is stick your head underneath and have a look. If you have a PRV in one end of the fuel rail, it will be Euro-4.

If Euro-4...Were the copper washer seats reamed & cleaned properly.?? Were new bolts and upgraded clamps fitted..?? Were they torqued correctly..?? If you have pressure in the rocker cover and nothing comming out of the breather...that would indicate a blockage of some sort in the breather system...or a possible cracked piston..??

Compression test can be done through the injector holes or the glow plug holes. Testing of injectors..?? How many miles on them..?? Some have been know to do over 500k miles without issue.

Lord Knobrot

I will have to check the month, have a feeling its Jan 2011. Must be a euro 4, has a prv on fuel rail. I had a garage do the seals about 2 months ago, but have my suspicions they didnt do it right looking at the state of the copper washers I have just taken out. I also asked them to check the breather and they said it was clear!!!!! probably just checked the short bit of pipe that comes out of rocker cover. He said he put new copper washers, new o ring seals and new strecth bolts in. Probably not torqued up!!!! The injectors are the origionals so 130K. and they want £30 per injector to test them, but they did say that if seals have been blowing for a while it could contaminate the oil and 'sludge' it up and stop the oil from being cooled properly, apparently after it goes through the cooler it sent though perferated pipes and 'squirted' to the underside of the pistons to cool them down. If its all sludged up they might not be getting cooled enough and could cause a holed or cracked piston, hence wanting to do a pressure test.

Can I ask how to do a pressure test through injector holes please?

cheers
WrexhamIan123456
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:50 pm

WrexhamIan123456 wrote: Can I ask how to do a pressure test through injector holes please? cheers

You can get compression test kits similar to the one below.....uses injector hole or glow plug hole.

https://www.amanstoyshop.com.au/product ... QMQAvD_BwE

Glow plug is resonably difficult to get at on the Mk6's & 7's though, inlet manifold needs to come off for easy access.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WrexhamIan123456 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:12 pm

knobby1 wrote:
WrexhamIan123456 wrote: Can I ask how to do a pressure test through injector holes please? cheers

You can get compression test kits similar to the one below.....uses injector hole or glow plug hole.

https://www.amanstoyshop.com.au/product ... QMQAvD_BwE

Glow plug is resonably difficult to get at on the Mk6's & 7's though, inlet manifold needs to come off for easy access.

Lord Knobrot

Would this do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoze-Cylinder ... 194&sr=8-1

I assume i can just hold the rubber cones in the injector holes and turn the engine over?

Thanks v much for your time.
WrexhamIan123456
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:30 pm

WrexhamIan123456 wrote:
Would this do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoze-Cylinder ... 194&sr=8-1

I assume i can just hold the rubber cones in the injector holes and turn the engine over?

Thanks v much for your time.

No, that's for a petrol engine....only goes to 300 psi. Some diesels are up near 380-400psi compression pressure. You'd be very lucky to hold that sort of pressure by hand methinks. They are in the 17.5:1-ish compression ratio range. Normal petrol engines are only ~10:1-ish.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits