*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 intermittent fault

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 intermittent fault

Postby carlburt78 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:48 pm

Hi all my backup transit that I'm using for work and it seems to have a few intermittent faults , driving to work the other day it cut out whilst driving at 40 which made all the dash lights come on ,but it started on it's own and kept running ..... on a few occasions whilst idling it almost cuts out with the dash lights all coming on ,but then it keeps on running and lights all go off.

Most of the time ,even when it almost cuts out it idles normally but the engine does hunt on occasion, but turning it on and off sometimes stops it hunting.
Tonight after getting fuel I started it and it cut out after about 2 seconds , it done this 3 -4 times it ran for longer when I gave it some revs but cut out after I dropped the revs , the starter clicked on about the 4th attempt but the engine finally started and I drove it home and parked up and managed to successfully restart the engine whenever I tried, ......my job is a courier so the van is in use constantly for 6 days a week and is a real work horse.

Its a 2008 transit FWD with 220k on the clock ,its had a new starter and alternator about 3 months ago , the fuel filter is showing ok and I had the EML light on a week ago as I had the egr unplugged because it dosnt drive great with it plugged in , I had diagnostics run on it with Snapon and the only codes were egr related so I plugged it back in and cleared the codes , but it cuts out whether egr is plugged in or not . The non starting issue has only started happening since I plugged the egr back in though .sorry for the long winded post ,but any ideas ? Thanks
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Mk7 intermittent fault

Postby carlburt78 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 pm

On a side note my van is really smokey under acceleration when the egr is plugged in and feels very sluggish , I changed the egr back along thinking it would stop it smoking but it didn't make any difference so that's why I unplugged it which cured the smoke issue instantly, also it kept on failing emissions when I had driven it for long periods with it plugged in, and it was like I was driving a new van ,it was so responsive
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Airthies » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Check the basics, as someone else pointed out the other day nothing more basic than the battery terminals, but I'd be more inclined to check wiring harness along past starter motor as there known for issues there.

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby carlburt78 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:04 am

Quick update , read codes using Forscan and I have had 11 codes

P0480 FAN CONTROL CIRCUIT, circuit short to ground

P1103 MAF IN RANGE BUT HIGHER THAN EXPECTED( I have the EGR blanked and think its causing this code)

P068A POWER RELAY DE-ENERGIZED TOO EARLY, , says it could be s faulty relay or connector/ wiring

BCM - UO100
U0001 loss of communication

All other codes are loss of communication

I had a look at the wiring in the area of the starter motor and found that the connector on the power lead to the starter motor isnt looking too good and about half of the copper wire is hanging out of the crimped end, could this cause my van to cut out??

This is such a strange fault , because sometimes it cuts out and others times it almost cuts out ,all dash lights come on but go off again
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby eskimodoodle » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:19 pm

Hi

Did you find out what the problem was ?

Thanks
eskimodoodle
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits