*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Speedometer and rev counter gauge stopped working

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Speedometer and rev counter gauge stopped working

Postby cross.damien » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi,
I have a 2004 Mk6 90 t350 jumbo transit. Went to shop, parked up van. When i started it again. the rev counter and speedometer gauge were not working. started and stopped it a few times but still not working.
Anyone any ideas what is wrong here? The fuel gauge works fine, and all the lights etc.

Cheers
cross.damien
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Speedometer and rev counter gauge stopped working

Postby gjt » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi

I have just read your post and i have had the same problem vith my van today. Have you had any luck with your van as i would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks
gjt

Postby whitevanw0man » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:24 pm

Mine did this once, not long after I'd got it in Nov 2010. It had stood for a couple of weeks in very wet weather, and it felt a bit damp inside the cab. No speedo or revs when I started it. Drove 10 miles to petrol station, filled up, and it was fine after that. It's never done it again since. I put it down to a loose connection, perhaps made worse by damp conditions but I don't know anything about electrics so that's just an uneducated guess.
whitevanw0man
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cross.damien » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:27 pm

I replaced the speedometer sensor in the gearbox, still no revs and no speedo working. :-(
Im out of ideas. I might take out the clock and check connections
cross.damien
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gjt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 pm

i took the battery lead off over night, cleaned up all the earths, took the two sensors out the gear box and cleaned. still nothing.
gjt

Postby Nighthawk » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:20 am

Have you checked the fuses?
Transit.........Job done
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby finnon » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:36 am

friend of mine has a t260 swb and his van does this. it seems to be intermitent. be interested seeing your replys. he wanted to try the clocks out of my van but i dont fancy striping mine all down aswell. especially when mine seems fine.

randomly enough the light on my radio never works. but last night i started it up and the light came on for say 5 seconds. enough for me to go ohh look at that lol. then went off again. strange.
present van is a 55 reg t280 85ps lwb semi high
finnon
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cross.damien » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:24 pm

At the weekend i decided to take out the speedometer. I had already previously changed the sensor in the gearbox, but that didnt solve the problem. When i took out the speedometer clock, in behind it were 2 fuses. One of them was blown - 15amp. I changed that. Plugged out the clock, plugged back in, started van, and it is now working.

Hope this helps.

I dont know how it would have worked intermittently if it was the fuse that was wrong. Doesnt make sense
cross.damien
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Maestro66uk » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:23 pm

I'm having the same problem with my instrument cluster.

It randomly goes off.
Rev counter drops out, Speedo drops out, temperature gauge drops out, mileage display displays dashes, fuel gauge works fine.
I've found that when it all drops out if I thump the dashboard it all comes back to life......for a few seconds, a few minutes, a few hours or a few days.

Some days it works fine, but today it's been an absolute pain!! On and off constantly every minute or two.

I've looked all over the internet over the past hour trying to find a resolve to this problem. It would seem that NOBODY has an answer!!

Everyone is stabbing in the dark as to what the problem "may be".
I have read that stripping the clocks out of the dash and cleaning with WD40 is a definite NO NO!
It would appear that once the clocks start doing this, they're buggered and have to be replaced, or send your unit to a company in the UK who will repair the unit and send it back to you for £99.
Fitting a second-hand unit from the scrapyard is a no go too as the unit has to be programmed to the ECU.

This is crazy.
Is what I've read true then? The instrument cluster is buggered and will need to be repaired??

*****EDIT*****

I've just found this on Youtbue......I'm thinking this is the problem!!!
https://youtu.be/dPXTUtbM8i8
Maestro66uk

Postby paul2012 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Maestro66uk wrote:I'm having the same problem with my instrument cluster.

It randomly goes off.
Rev counter drops out, Speedo drops out, temperature gauge drops out, mileage display displays dashes, fuel gauge works fine.
I've found that when it all drops out if I thump the dashboard it all comes back to life......for a few seconds, a few minutes, a few hours or a few days.

Some days it works fine, but today it's been an absolute pain!! On and off constantly every minute or two.

I've looked all over the internet over the past hour trying to find a resolve to this problem. It would seem that NOBODY has an answer!!

Everyone is stabbing in the dark as to what the problem "may be".
I have read that stripping the clocks out of the dash and cleaning with WD40 is a definite NO NO!
It would appear that once the clocks start doing this, they're buggered and have to be replaced, or send your unit to a company in the UK who will repair the unit and send it back to you for £99.
Fitting a second-hand unit from the scrapyard is a no go too as the unit has to be programmed to the ECU.

This is crazy.
Is what I've read true then? The instrument cluster is buggered and will need to be repaired??

*****EDIT*****

I've just found this on Youtbue......I'm thinking this is the problem!!!
https://youtu.be/dPXTUtbM8i8

COmmon problem for the mk6 digital (hybrid) cluster to fail.

You can fit a used./second hand one. Transit mk6 instrument cluster don't require to be programmed to van :!:
2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ECONOMY VEHICLES » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:15 pm

Hi guys,
A common reason for the dials to stop working on the dash is the electrical switch on the back of the ignition barrel. They are less than £20 from fords and fail all the time.
I suspect this is why the problem is intermittent for some of you!
I hope this helps.

Regards,

David.
ECONOMY VEHICLES

Postby ninja » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:08 am

Just joined the forum to say...
David you are a legend.
Walked out to mine and pushed the key in a bit while running and sure enough the RPM started displaying. I knew it was something silly as the scan tool could see the RPM's fine but nothing on the tacho.
Thanks again.

Luke.
ninja

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits