*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Mk7 heater and cooling issues.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK7 Transit cooling & Cab Heating

Postby Mbeak » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:13 pm

Hi all,

New to transits, I bought a 2011 transit 285 SWB semi high top crew cab with 128k on it, 85ps model.

During the cold snap when the van has warmed up the heater went cool when standing, when driving under load it seemed nice and hot, not all the time but noticeable. Tonight, I thought I’d check under the bonnet after a run, temp gauge is fine, never heard the fan run though at all since I’ve had it. The coolant level is on min, there appears to be a weep of coolant on the mid lip of the expansion tank with a few drip on to the inner wing. Also top rad hose is pretty cold, when bottom hoses are nice and warm, they don’t appear to be pressured up to much. Expansion bottle was making a popping sound when I switched the engine off. Looked under the oil cap again, not full of mayo or anything, slight misting under the cap but that’s it. What could be issue? Water pump? Thermostat? Troubling me and knocking my confidence in it. I’m only using it at the mo to run to the next town in ad I was going to turn it in to s day van for my mountain bike and to take the family and dogs out for days out etc etc.
Mbeak

Transit Mk7 heater and cooling issues.

Postby Mbeak » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:28 pm

Hi all,

Recently bought a transit mk7, crew cab, 280 85ps SWB semi high top on an 11 plate with 128k on it.

Noticed during cold spell, when standing when warmed up, heater temp would feel cooler, when driving it’s nice and hot. Not all the time though.

Also tonight, I thought I’d check the coolant level, it’s a little low, coolant drops on expansion tank mid rim edge and a bit on inner wing, drip like.

Top rad hose, is very cool, bottoms are nice and warm/hot.

After turning off engine, I can hear the coolant tank making a popping noise.

Oil cap does not have loads of mayo, just a slight misting.

Never heard the rad fan run. Temp gauge it’s on the middle, sometimes drops a bit, again not often. Only done about 300 miles in it as I wanted to turn it in to a day van.

Anyone got any ideas? Water pump? Thermostat? Head gasket?

Knocking my confidence with it.
Mbeak

Re: Transit Mk7 heater and cooling issues.

Postby tranmx2 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:20 am

Seems the thermo' is open and there is air/gas in the system. Air / gas in system could be from combustion spaces. Air can be taken in on the inlet side of the coolant pp.
Liquid on the lip of the bottle and down below is likely condensate from the cap relief valve letting off pressure/steam.
Coolant pp is not pumping/circulatiing at idle. Belt slip. Pp knackered.
There is a test for gasses in the coolant. There is also a pressure test. A cap I bought off ebay was undersize.
There is a spring inside the thermo which holds a plug in place the plug is covered by the bottom of the thermo,' when the thermo' is open the plug can be moved by pressure and pass some hot coolant to the inlet side of the coolant pp.
Air/gas in pipe from thermo to rad = when thermo is open coolant passes along the bottom of the pipe to the rad.
Air/gas can be pressurised - it can contract and expand depending on conditions.
Better to do some checks with engine idle and eng stopped hot and cold.

2011 is OBD2 you may need to do some 1 hour + runs to get things heated up and circulating and the DPF to regen if one is fitted.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:25 am

tranmx2 wrote:Seems the thermo' is open and there is air/gas in the system. Air / gas in system could be from combustion spaces. Air can be taken in on the inlet side of the coolant pp.
Liquid on the lip of the bottle and down below is likely condensate from the cap relief valve letting off pressure/steam.
Coolant pp is not pumping/circulatiing at idle. Belt slip. Pp knackered.
There is a test for gasses in the coolant. There is also a pressure test. A cap I bought off ebay was undersize.
There is a spring inside the thermo which holds a plug in place the plug is covered by the bottom of the thermo,' when the thermo' is open the plug can be moved by pressure and pass some hot coolant to the inlet side of the coolant pp.
Air/gas in pipe from thermo to rad = when thermo is open coolant passes along the bottom of the pipe to the rad.
Air/gas can be pressurised - it can contract and expand depending on conditions.
Better to do some checks with engine idle and eng stopped hot and cold.

2011 is OBD2 you may need to do some 1 hour + runs to get things heated up and circulating and the DPF to regen if one is fitted.

He has a Euro-4, so it has no DPF. Euro-5 wasn't available in 85ps.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:29 am

Mbeak wrote:Hi all,

Recently bought a transit mk7, crew cab, 280 85ps SWB semi high top on an 11 plate with 128k on it.

Noticed during cold spell, when standing when warmed up, heater temp would feel cooler, when driving it’s nice and hot. Not all the time though.

Also tonight, I thought I’d check the coolant level, it’s a little low, coolant drops on expansion tank mid rim edge and a bit on inner wing, drip like.

Top rad hose, is very cool, bottoms are nice and warm/hot.

After turning off engine, I can hear the coolant tank making a popping noise.

Oil cap does not have loads of mayo, just a slight misting.

Never heard the rad fan run. Temp gauge it’s on the middle, sometimes drops a bit, again not often. Only done about 300 miles in it as I wanted to turn it in to a day van.

Anyone got any ideas? Water pump? Thermostat? Head gasket?

Knocking my confidence with it.

You might have the old water pump coupling issue, reasonably common on the FWD's. The water pump is driven by the PAS and the splined coupling wears out....the water pump then often fails to turn properly. The only way to check it properly is to remove the pump and check the splines. If the splines are worn, most just replace the PAS and water pump as a pair.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mbeak » Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:02 pm

Do you think the head gasket could be knackered too? What is a pp? Excuse my ignorance. Only had the van a few weeks, dealer I got it from send to Playing nicely, so I might just get my money back. It’s going in to my garage on Thursday to be looked at.
Mbeak

Postby knobby1 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:55 pm

Mbeak wrote:Do you think the head gasket could be knackered too? What is a pp? Excuse my ignorance. Only had the van a few weeks, dealer I got it from send to Playing nicely, so I might just get my money back. It’s going in to my garage on Thursday to be looked at.

Head gasket failure is very unlikely on a Transit, not unheard of, but very rare.

Ask your garage to also have a look at the PAS to water pump coupling/drive.

PP = pump.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mbeak » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:35 pm

Thanks for your responses. Much appreciated. I’ll get the garage to look at that. They are really good, they have rebuilt god knows how many transits.
Mbeak

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits