*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Van broke down and won't start :(

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Van broke down and won't start :(

Postby WheelyBigBox » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:59 pm

Hi Guys,

It's a T330 2.4 RWD.

On my way to work today the van decided to cut out with the glow plug light on, then restarted itself, then cut again and left me coasting slowly towards the left hand side of the dual carriageway.

Tried to restart, success and no glow plug light! Waited a few seconds in case it needed to stabilise, tried pulling away, then it cut again but this time with no glow plug light.

Called out the breakdown, they got me back home and dropped it off outside for me. It now cranks but won't start - at all.

I've seen several peoples mention glow plug light and others saying its the fuel pump.

Where do i start?
2002 Mk6 2.4L T330 (Turbo) 90HP with Auto gearbox / clutch / shifter.

Also has a built in brown trouser momenter due to the novel rear suspension and a "this'll cost a lot to fix" thought generator :!:
WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Van broke down and won't start :(

Postby KING OF ENGLAND » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:25 pm

You need to read the codes could be crank censer fuel filter
Filter head pump edc or wiring mate
KING OF ENGLAND
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:38 pm

Yep...getting the codes read is the only way to find out what's going on if there's no glow plug flash codes.

Forscan will tell you what's going on.

Guessing a throwing parts at it is costly, time consuming and futile.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WheelyBigBox » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:01 pm

Forsscan.. on ebay there's quite a few different ones. Do i need any particular one? What about software?

Thanks for your help!

Also has a built in brown trouser momenter due to the novel rear suspension and a "this'll cost a lot to fix" thought generator :!:
WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:30 am

WheelyBigBox wrote:Forsscan.. on ebay there's quite a few different ones. Do i need any particular one? What about software?

Thanks for your help!

Foscan is the software....and you'll need a "modified" ELM-327. Has been covered many, many times on here.

Forscan download here..:

https://forscan.org/download.html

ELM-327 here..:

https://tunnelrat-electronics.fwscart.c ... 45457.aspx

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WheelyBigBox » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:09 am

Thanks fella, i'd typed in forscan on ebay and it came up with loads of adapters but i had no idea which one to get and assumed that was the right name / term.

Thanks again for your help, you're an absolute star mate.

WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:26 am

WheelyBigBox wrote:you're an absolute star mate.

I don't think so...most of the stuff I try to help with came from the other knowledgible chaps on here.!

They've helped me greatly over the years.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WheelyBigBox » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:05 pm

You're worth more credit than you realise.

Right, had someone come out yesterday evening with a snap-on code reading computer thingamebob.. read out loads of stuff about the fuel pump being shot, one of the master relays, all sorts of woes about the ECU, fuel ECU, transmission ECU etc.. kinda sounds grim really... i didn't actually get any fault codes though, just told what it had found - bit stupid in hindsight but i'm about to ring him anyway to find out how much he can get a pump for.

But these master relays.. where are they? - are they the ones under teh dashboard cupholder or in the bonnet?

I suspect i'll be wasting my time even investigating the relays but if one turns out to be shot am i still in the crap as the van seemed to bump start itself back into life when the engine cut the first time (you know, just like the universe is trying to give an extra kick - i only realised last night when seeing the thread about bump starting).

Really not sure what to do with it now..

WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby WheelyBigBox » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:05 pm

Righty.. bumped into a neighbour today who had a plug in diagnostics linked to his phone...

He pulled out the following codes:
P1664 - FIP Malfunction
P1564 - Requesting Reduced Fuel Flow
P1631 - PCM Main relay,

I'm guessing the fuel pump is completely goosed then?

WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:41 am

WheelyBigBox wrote:Righty.. bumped into a neighbour today who had a plug in diagnostics linked to his phone...

He pulled out the following codes:
P1664 - FIP Malfunction
P1564 - Requesting Reduced Fuel Flow
P1631 - PCM Main relay,

I'm guessing the fuel pump is completely goosed then?

Not necessarily...those codes often point to the pump EDC not happy or a wiring connection to it is poorly. The actual mechanical part of the pump itself is quite robust....it's all the electrical gubbins like the EDC and timing solenoid hanging off it which usually fail.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby WheelyBigBox » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:37 pm

So wheres the best place to start? - Surely if it was the timing solenoid there would be a different code? - or am i hoping for too much lol

Also when i found a dead relay in the bonnet fusebox, i shorted the two contacts and for a split second when i cranked it, it sounded like it was starting to fire, then stopped and i saw magic smoke coming from my multimeter wire that i'd used to short the relay socket lol.

So i got an old renault relay (50A instead of 70A) and put that in. Tried again with a neighbour rpesent and he reckoned he saw smoke coming from the wires outside the fusebox to the left somewhere.. Is there a common hiccup in that area?

Will try some easy start tomorrow..

I love the van, i really do.. but i must admit i'm feeling a bit overwhelmed right now.

WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:17 pm

Are you sure that the smoking wire, isn't the fusible link to the glow plugs? It's quite common for that wire to burn out if the glow plugs are faulty (short circuited) The relay that you replaced could be the one supplying the glow plugs :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby WheelyBigBox » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:44 pm

Altransit wrote:Are you sure that the smoking wire, isn't the fusible link to the glow plugs? It's quite common for that wire to burn out if the glow plugs are faulty (short circuited) The relay that you replaced could be the one supplying the glow plugs :idea:

I think you're right. Having looked into the fuel pump / timing chain videos on youtube and reading the comments, it's the fusable link and yes, having looked in the manual, the relay i replaced was for the glowies. I'm impressed, this van has always started in 2-3 turns!

So i've been looking at these videos, i suspect it will be easier for me to dive in and get on with it myself. The only thing that really scares me is the cooling system. I've had two volvo engines overheat and fail on me after putting into the car (although finding the radiator cap hadn't been opened properly wouldn't have helped). I don't like refilling cooling systems.

Anyway i'm now looking at the idea of having the pump out and replacing that mosfet that fails and also doing the chain at the same time. After that it's the pesky oil leaks and then the HPU motor at some point.

Checked the fuses this evening, those are all good, only thing left for me to try is the power supply directly to the pump. If that's live then the pump is mullered.

There must surely be a way to override the immobiliser function of the pump? - eg just have a circuit in there that does what it's meant to do without the immobiliser code business?

WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:42 am

WheelyBigBox wrote:
Altransit wrote:Are you sure that the smoking wire, isn't the fusible link to the glow plugs? It's quite common for that wire to burn out if the glow plugs are faulty (short circuited) The relay that you replaced could be the one supplying the glow plugs :idea:

I think you're right. Having looked into the fuel pump / timing chain videos on youtube and reading the comments, it's the fusable link and yes, having looked in the manual, the relay i replaced was for the glowies. I'm impressed, this van has always started in 2-3 turns!

Mosst of the Mk6's don't need glow plugs for starting, unless you live in a very cold country. I ran mine for 2 years without that wire, which had burnt out.

WheelyBigBox wrote:There must surely be a way to override the immobiliser function of the pump? - eg just have a circuit in there that does what it's meant to do without the immobiliser code business?

There possibly is a way if you're savvy with electronics, but that part of the electronics isn't the only part which stops the pump working, when faulty.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby WheelyBigBox » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:21 am

Altransit wrote: but that part of the electronics isn't the only part which stops the pump working, when faulty.

Do tell?

Is there another bit of electronic wizardry that goes wrong or something mechanical?

WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits