*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

condensation

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: condensation

Postby ray1965 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:02 am

thank you for the link, ive saved that
hopefully im not breaking any regulations, as all the parts are proper ford parts from a tourneo, and everything mounted as ford did, the only change being the seat anchor nuts, as the tourneo ones were welded to the floor, but the original bolts are being used with load spreading nuts, then those locked in place with stainless steel nylock nuts and the van will still only remain a total of 6 seats
the window im after will be the correct ford one as well, if i can find one lol
will also be fitting the rear inner door knob from a minibus, so if needed the passengers can get out the rear doors

it will only carry the passengers on 2 to 4 ten minute journeys once a week at max, but at the moment we are having to use 2 vehicles for it
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bortaf » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:38 pm

I used sticky backed close cell foam in my tourneo connect behind the roof linning and it made a lot of differance to keeping in the heat and noise reduction BUT it made the condensation worse on the glass cos i'd taken away 80% of the cold surfaces for it to condense on so it got worse on what was left, hense i say let it escape, one of those spinny roof vents or similar, i pretty much have to leave my rear (boot area) windows cracked open when i have people in the back seats (middle of the van with non opening windows) to let 5 peoples worth of breath out as the cabin heater/blower forces it all rearwards :?
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ray1965 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:36 pm

ahh, yes can see where your coming from, think its going to be a suck it and see, the big difference i can see between the 2 vehicles being, you have a tourneo, so no bulkhead, i have a van so no glass, glass does condensate even in the home, i took the wooden panels off the sides today, and the void is quite wide, whilst the roof was saturated, the sides were dry as a bone, which was pleasing, the original hardboard has been removed when the wood was done which is a tad annoying, i started to put bitumen sound deadening pads on the sides, but time wasnt on my side, now looking for what would be best to fill that void insulation wise, dont want anything thats going to suck up the water

im toying with the idea of better side panels as well, as i want to fit the cargo rails from my mk6,

but i dried the condensaton on the roof, and the van was in my unit under the blow of a reznor heater for about 3 hours, with all van doors open, but under the strengthener rails in the roof, it was still saturated

im going to go for it, as ive got several mods to do at the same time, while its all out, cant get the tourneo ceiling yet due to guy having covid either
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bortaf » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:57 pm

I use recycled plastic bottle insulation from B&Q, seems ok :? doesn't absorb moisture, bowt £16 a roll and it goes a fair way, i ripped it in half as it was too thick and compressing it ruins it's R value :)
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ray1965 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:04 pm

funnily enough i just bought 2 rolls of the very stuff, which i bought to use on the lower side behind the wood

ive put bitumen sound deadening pads on the side panels first, think ill do the same on the roof, then put the insulation

cutting its thickness souldnds like a good plan on the roof

thank you
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits