*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 2.2 power issues

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK7 2.2 power issues

Postby Andy7757w » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:26 pm

Hello everyone, just after some help, got a 2008 mk7 2.2, the van ran fine for a few miles and then it looses power, won’t rev above 3k but will go back to normal after being left for a while. I done some research and found out it’s more then likely the scv and pcm valve, changed them and done a pump learn. It was perfect for about half an hour and then started doing the same thing, I did the pump learn on a Bosch KTS machine not forescan. Also wondering if it could be a faulty scv valve, I did get them off eBay and they claimed to be genuine desno parts. Also haven’t changed the fuel filter yet, could this cause the issue? Thanks :)
Andy7757w

Re: MK7 2.2 power issues

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:04 pm

Many eBay sellers "claim" to sell genuine Denso when they aren't...trouble is, us poor unsuspecting buyers just don't know.

PCM valve..?? I suspect you mean PRV (Pressure Relief Valve) on the end of the fuel rail. Poorly SCV usually causes hunting idle and stalling/cutting out when coming to a stop at junctions etc....not so much power loss.

Change out the fuel filter if it hasn't bee done recently, do you know when it was last replaced..?? If "all" the learns passed successfully we can assume the injectors are ok. Did you do the pilot/injector learns too..??

EGR valve ok..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby TheCake » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 pm

many on here would say avoid fleabay if looking for genuine denso try https://www.pfjones.co.uk/ for an scv and prv, but first try giving the egr a clean and the boost pipe section with the sensor on top that leads to the egr valve (its located on front of engine to the left on a 2.2 euro 4 its a pig to get to the bolts behind it though and theres a chance they will sheer off if they are rusted but it can easily be re drilled and tapped, I would think it'd be worth checking with forscan to be sure as i have no experience using any other systems as worked well for me, easy way to check if prv is gone undo the leak off return pipe (if yours has one) and if any fuel comes out its probably buggered.
hope this info will help.
is that rust spot new?

2010 mk7 t260 85 p.o.s. FWD, SWB
TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Andy7757w » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:27 pm

knobby1 wrote:Many eBay sellers "claim" to sell genuine Denso when they aren't...trouble is, us poor unsuspecting buyers just don't know.

PCM valve..?? I suspect you mean PRV (Pressure Relief Valve) on the end of the fuel rail. Poorly SCV usually causes hunting idle and stalling/cutting out when coming to a stop at junctions etc....not so much power loss.

Change out the fuel filter if it hasn't bee done recently, do you know when it was last replaced..?? If "all" the learns passed successfully we can assume the injectors are ok. Did you do the pilot/injector learns too..??

EGR valve ok..??

Lord Knobrot

yes i meant PRV, Im not sure when the fuel filter was last changed we have only had the van a few months, im going to order a new filter tomorrow, when i plugged it in an EGR fault did come up but would this cause severe power loss? like i say it does not cut out or stall just has no power sometimes, seems to happen more when i accelerate hard, cheers
Andy7757w

Postby Andy7757w » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:28 pm

TheCake wrote:many on here would say avoid fleabay if looking for genuine denso try https://www.pfjones.co.uk/ for an scv and prv, but first try giving the egr a clean and the boost pipe section with the sensor on top that leads to the egr valve (its located on front of engine to the left on a 2.2 euro 4 its a pig to get to the bolts behind it though and theres a chance they will sheer off if they are rusted but it can easily be re drilled and tapped, I would think it'd be worth checking with forscan to be sure as i have no experience using any other systems as worked well for me, easy way to check if prv is gone undo the leak off return pipe (if yours has one) and if any fuel comes out its probably buggered.
hope this info will help.

There was an EGR fault when i plugged it in but wasnt sure that would cause the power loss. It looks like a right pain to remove. would a faulty EGR cause those symptoms? thanks
Andy7757w

Postby TheCake » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:29 pm

egr istelf isnt too difficult to but can be a bit fiddly but should be able to do it from above although jacking up and working from under would be advantageous,
remove two 8mm bolts and two 10mm bolts and iirc two coolant pipes be prepared for lots of coolant loss from the pipes unless you clamp them all off and have some more coolant ready to fill back up when youre done, brake cleaner should work well to clean egr save to save a possible needless cost of buying a new one and wont do any harm cleaning it to see if it makes a difference, what was the code for the egr fault that came up?
is that rust spot new?

TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby TheCake » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:31 pm

could also be worth checking boost pipe for any splits or other damage
is that rust spot new?

TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Andy7757w » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:58 pm

TheCake wrote:egr istelf isnt too difficult to but can be a bit fiddly but should be able to do it from above although jacking up and working from under would be advantageous,
remove two 8mm bolts and two 10mm bolts and iirc two coolant pipes be prepared for lots of coolant loss from the pipes unless you clamp them all off and have some more coolant ready to fill back up when youre done, brake cleaner should work well to clean egr save to save a possible needless cost of buying a new one and wont do any harm cleaning it to see if it makes a difference, what was the code for the egr fault that came up?

ok thanks for the advice mate, the codes where
P1402-EGR control valve open circuit or disruption
P1409-EGR control valve open circuit or disruption
P0404-Exhaust-gas recirculation system outside specified range

I didn't think the egr would cause huge power loss that's why I instantly went and changed the diesel valves
Andy7757w

Postby TheCake » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:49 pm

looks likely the egr is stuck give her a clean and see if that helps also check the contacts are clean on the connection and check wires for any damage if it doesnt work then at least youll have a clean egr.
if you keep forscan open when running engine pull up the table and put anything egr related on there and see what it does when engine is cold, warm, low rev, high rev ( but dont rev too high when not under load as thats not good for engine is what ive seen mentioned on here) you should be able to see if the egr is opening and to what percentage.
you shouldnt need to go over 3k revs mine sits at just under 3k doing "70" mph on dual carriageway.

after reading again it does seem to be tied to engine temp as you say its fine for a few miles which i believe is how the egr operates basically the computer tells it to open and close as the temperature goes up and down.

whats your average journey distance? if its not that far the egr will soon clog up as it doesnt got hot for long enough to burn any crap off it and if its getting stuck too far open itll let to much exhaust gases in and starve the engine of oxygen which could cause it to loose power.

its well worth giving the system a clean i cleaned the whole egr and connected pipe system and i think mine goes a fair bit faster now also good quality fuel will play a part never fill with supermarket trash fuel, though she still has plenty of problems chuggs a bit when low on fuel as have air in system that im trying to find root cause of.

sometimes it can be something really simple that causes problems and as is said alot on here check for codes before throwing money away on parts, ive done the same its a learning experience ive never worked on my vehicles before my transit and i think im getting hooked on trying to repair everything myself.
is that rust spot new?

TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:35 am

Andy7757w wrote:ok thanks for the advice mate, the codes where
P1402-EGR control valve open circuit or disruption
P1409-EGR control valve open circuit or disruption
P0404-Exhaust-gas recirculation system outside specified range

I didn't think the egr would cause huge power loss that's why I instantly went and changed the diesel valves

It will if stuck open. The only time it should be open is when at idle and very low throttle settings, after that it should close progressively as engine rpm builds. Looks like you may have a bad wiring or connector and/or the valve itself is done. Pretty common for them to fail though. They get all caked in crap inside and the valve can't move freely, this causes the little stepper motor gears to break.

Lord Knobrot.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Andy7757w » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:54 am

Ok thanks for the replies I will take the egr off on the weekend, cheers
Andy7757w

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits