*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

EGR Valve or Cooler?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

EGR Valve or Cooler?

Postby Welshhobo » Tue May 17, 2022 10:37 pm

57 plate 2.2TDCi 110hp

So i got the van in Feb 2020. Previous owner said it had an EGR valve replacement 6 months before (~Aug 19). By about September 2020 i had warning lights on - did a scan on my little £10 scanner and it gave me a P1409 code. Apparently this is "EGR Vacuum Regulator Solenoid Circuit Malfunction". I ignored this until Feb 2021 when the MOT was due and got the EGR replaced - no warning light.

6 months later the warning light pops up again and its the same code. I ignore it again and check the codes a few months later and get a P1103 code aswell - "Mass Airflow Sensor in Range But Higher Than Expected".

Now in September 2021, i had a cylinder misfire - got it towed to a mechanic and he said a fuel injector stopped working. I give the go ahead to do the repair and he calls me back saying that the glowplug snapped off and fell into the cylinder chamber - the head needs to come off to retrive it and clean out the cylinder chamber. They were also short staffed and ended up keeping my van from September until just before Christmas and charged me £1800 to get the head milled, new gasket fitted, fuel injectors replaced, and glowplugs replaced. All codes are cleared

I get the van back and after about a week i start getting the P1409, P1103, and a new P1402 code - P1402 = EGR Function Open. Again i ignore this and wipe the codes just before MOT and it passes before the warning light comes back.

I drive the van to Oxford (from Cardiff) for some job. Just outside of Oxford my van starts losing power and i don't know wtf is going on. I check my fuel gauge twice thinking i must be running out of fuel or something. On the second inspection i notice my temperature needle is trying to break its way out of the dash. Van is overheating. I pull over, check under the bonnet - water tank is empty. I fill up what i can with my drink of water and just manage to limp it to a petrol station. Whilst there i find the problem - the oil cooler hose has burst. I find myself a screwfix and bodge it back together with some PVC pipe and jubilee clips. It works well enough to get me back to Cardiff - although i made sure i kept the cabin in sauna conditions with all the heaters on.

But now i'm thinking that maybe the EGR valve isn't the problem. Why would 3 EGR valves break in under 3 years? Either i'm just unlucky or that isn't the source of the problem. Would a failed EGR cooler cause hoses to burst and EGR valves to repeatedly overheat without any warning lights about the cooler popping up?

The weird thing is that the guy in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=108737
Had the EXACT same problem on a Van with the EXACT same year and EXACTLY same codes and hose bursting on him.

Any thoughts?
Welshhobo

Re: EGR Valve or Cooler?

Postby Frag » Tue May 17, 2022 11:20 pm

Replace the hose,
Buy ‘better quality’ EGR valves…
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Welshhobo » Wed May 18, 2022 1:35 am

Yeah i replaced the hose the next day after i got home. Its been fine since, but something must've happened to make it burst length ways. I can't believe it was just a gradual thing that just happens with age, but maybe i'm wrong - the van has about 208k miles on it. Do they just burst sometimes if they're old?

When the guy in the other thread had the exact same issues coming up, it doesn't seem like a coincidence.
Welshhobo

Postby knobby1 » Wed May 18, 2022 6:35 am

Welshhobo wrote:Yeah i replaced the hose the next day after i got home. Its been fine since, but something must've happened to make it burst length ways. I can't believe it was just a gradual thing that just happens with age, but maybe i'm wrong - the van has about 208k miles on it. Do they just burst sometimes if they're old?

When the guy in the other thread had the exact same issues coming up, it doesn't seem like a coincidence.

Are you talking about a turbo boost hose bursting..?? If so, it's fairly common, especially if 15 years old and with 208k miles on it..

EGR valves have nothing to do with the turbo boost hoses.

EGR coolers don't have any sensors so will not throw any codes, even if they fail.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Welshhobo » Wed May 18, 2022 11:13 am

knobby1 wrote:
EGR coolers don't have any sensors so will not throw any codes, even if they fail.

Lord Knobrot

Thats good to know - if i remove it, is there any way i can test it works correctly?
Welshhobo

Postby knobby1 » Wed May 18, 2022 7:53 pm

Welshhobo wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

Thats good to know - if i remove it, is there any way i can test it works correctly?

EGR coolers have no moving parts, they're a sort of radiator to help cool the exhaust gas before it reaches the EGR valve/system. When they leak, you lose coolant out through the exhaust and sometimes get small bubbles in the cooling system.

They can b "by-passed" as an elimination check to try and help find stray, hard to find coolant leaks.

Lord Knobrot
Last edited by knobby1 on Wed May 18, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Noctule » Wed May 18, 2022 8:33 pm

Welshhobo wrote:Yeah i replaced the hose the next day after i got home. Its been fine since, but something must've happened to make it burst length ways. I can't believe it was just a gradual thing that just happens with age, but maybe i'm wrong - the van has about 208k miles on it. Do they just burst sometimes if they're old?

I recently had the water pump to egr cooler hose split, about 2 inches long near the top. This was on a 56 plate rwd mk7 with 210,000 on the clock. The lengthways split may be down to the way the reinforcing cord is set in the pipe wall.

The hoses don't seem to be as good quality as the mk5, but then again the mk5 doesn't require so many hoses with complicated routing.

Mat
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Welshhobo » Thu May 19, 2022 2:02 am

knobby1 wrote:
EGR coolers have no moving parts, they're a sort of radiator to help cool the exhaust gas before it reaches the EGR valve/system. When they leak, you lose coolant out through the exhaust and sometimes get small bubbles in the cooling system.

They can b "by-passed" as an elimination check to try and help find stray, hard to find coolant leaks.

Lord Knobrot

Presumably it could just get blocked with crap over time and there would be no symptoms? If that happens, the EGR valve could easily just overheat and pack in right?
Welshhobo

Postby knobby1 » Thu May 19, 2022 2:47 am

Welshhobo wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

Presumably it could just get blocked with crap over time and there would be no symptoms? If that happens, the EGR valve could easily just overheat and pack in right?

Unlikely the EGR cooler will block if the coolant is maintined properly. It's more likely they will corrode from the inside if the coolant is not up to the task. Some EGR valves are water cooled, some are not.....my Mk7 2.4 140 is not. There are a lot of vehicles running around without EGR coolers fitted and they don't seem to suffer.

The Mk6 75ps 2.4 engine didn't have an EGR cooler from the factory.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits