*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cruse control and clutch down to start?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Cruse control and clutch down to start?

Postby Motorhomemadness » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:57 pm

After getting my motorhome's crazing handling fixed after 2 years I have been wondering about 2 things.

Happened to ask the garage about the cruise control not working as it has not worked since I owned the van, he then said the van starts without the clutch down but wasn't sure if that model has one. Mk7 2.2 front-wheel drive. Also not sure if the cruse control maybe been turned off when the cab was covered to be a motorhome. ??
Motorhomemadness
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Cruse control and clutch down to start?

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:55 pm

Motorhomemadness wrote:After getting my motorhome's crazing handling fixed after 2 years I have been wondering about 2 things.

Happened to ask the garage about the cruise control not working as it has not worked since I owned the van, he then said the van starts without the clutch down but wasn't sure if that model has one. Mk7 2.2 front-wheel drive. Also not sure if the cruse control maybe been turned off when the cab was covered to be a motorhome. ??

All transits will start without the clutch down. Do you have the controls fitted for cruise control etc..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Motorhomemadness » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:24 pm

As I,m the second owner I don,t know if the controls were added at a later date, but I do know the cruise control lights show when starting but have no control over it.

When it was remapped I don't know if it was turned off as I've never really thought of using the curse control. But thought it may save some fuel. I did read on here a while ago there's a number of sensors, is that right?
Motorhomemadness
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:43 am

Motorhomemadness wrote:As I,m the second owner I don,t know if the controls were added at a later date, but I do know the cruise control lights show when starting but have no control over it.

When it was remapped I don't know if it was turned off as I've never really thought of using the curse control. But thought it may save some fuel. I did read on here a while ago there's a number of sensors, is that right?

The controls may have been added after it left the factory...but was it enabled in the PCM/BCM..?? If it wasn't enabled, no amount of button pushing will make it work.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Motorhomemadness » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:26 am

Ohh, had to look up PCM, so its a software update, now when I first had the van I had to take it to a Ford dealer to help try and find why it had a bad flat spot, they gave it an update but I wonder if they missed or stopped the cruise control from working.

Would a plug-in tester find out why?

I
Motorhomemadness
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:50 am

The Mk7 probably works differently, but on my 2012 Focus, there are switches on the clutch and brake pedals, which, if not working, will stop the cruise working.
Might be a red herring, but could be worth checking to see if you have these switches, and that they're working(if you do)

I would have thought that if your cruise light on the dash lights up, then it should already be enabled in the BCM, and the fault lies elsewhere :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Motorhomemadness » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:37 pm

Yeah, that's right, there are a few switches, will take a look tomorrow. I did read on here ages ago when I first tried the c control and someone stated when they go wrong there's a number of things to look at. If the switches are at peddle ends I may be able to fix it myself.

I had wondered if auto-trail who makes these motorhomes may of turned it off due to the extra weight of the build, I was not sure if the cruise control would work with extra weight or if the ECU is smart enough to handle the job. if you get that.
Motorhomemadness
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:35 pm

There could be two switches on the clutch pedal, near to the pivot, one at the top of the travel, and one at the bottom, fiddly to change but DIY-able (is that even a word!) there's just one on the brake pedal, and again, cruise would need to see that one working.
On my Focus, there's a 3rd clutch switch, mounted in the master cylinder, but it's unlikely (I would think) that your Mk7 has this one.

There's no reason to deliberately disable cruise on your camper, weight would be of no consequence to its working properly.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Motorhomemadness » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:50 pm

Cool, I have a look at them tomorrow. There's plenty of room under here.
Motorhomemadness
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits