*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil leak mk6 transit tipper 2.2l fwd

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Oil leak mk6 transit tipper 2.2l fwd

Postby Ray86 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:00 pm

Hey

Noticed a patch of liquid on drive (looked lime oil) so got under van to see and noticed a few stained areas after cleaning up I've found the below

https://ibb.co/y0Tnhyt
https://ibb.co/5L9wB1N
https://ibb.co/0tHWs41

I'm guessing one is oil filter and a new one should stop leak?

The others I'm abit lost apart from I know one is coming from withing the bellhousing and the other seems to be by the oil pressure switch.....

I've also noticed oil at the front just above the sump similar to this post

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=188726

So I'll go with the crank seal as ot doesn't seem to be leaking any higher than that corner sumop area.

I tried to post twice now but first haven't arrived so dunno what happened there

Any help would be gravely appreciated..

Ray86
Ray86

Re: Oil leak mk6 transit tipper 2.2l fwd

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:57 pm

Ray86 wrote:Hey

Noticed a patch of liquid on drive (looked lime oil) so got under van to see and noticed a few stained areas after cleaning up I've found the below

https://ibb.co/y0Tnhyt
https://ibb.co/5L9wB1N
https://ibb.co/0tHWs41

I'm guessing one is oil filter and a new one should stop leak?

The others I'm abit lost apart from I know one is coming from withing the bellhousing and the other seems to be by the oil pressure switch.....

I've also noticed oil at the front just above the sump similar to this post

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=188726

So I'll go with the crank seal as ot doesn't seem to be leaking any higher than that corner sumop area.

I tried to post twice now but first haven't arrived so dunno what happened there

Any help would be gravely appreciated..

Ray86

Your thread header says "Mk6 transit tipper 2.2l FWD"...I'm afraid there's no such animal as a Mk6 2.2....And I would have assumed very few if any FWD tippers..?? Must admit, I've not seen a FWD tipper in my travels....but I guess it could be possible.

Oil leak at bell housing indeed looks like engine oil so the rear crank seal may be leaking, or is it coming from higher up..?? Oil pressure switch and oil filter leaks should be a relatively easy fix.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ray86 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:15 pm

Thanks for the reply knobby1

New to all of this van stuff.....

I believe its a 2006 mk6 rwd 2.4l twin wheel diesel tipper.
(As a side note I'm needing to get drums off but not sure if it's normal drum i can beat off or dana that needs stripping)??

The leak at bellhousing seems to come from within everything around that area and above is clean and dry if wiped up it quickly returns odd thing is engine oil isn't dropping so I'm actually starting to think it might be gearbox oil.

I was thinking of dropping the engine and trans oil for fresh in the hope this could reveal exactly what side.

I've figured so far it's box off job no matter what by looks of it any ideas what seals are here and am I best to just do the lot whilst in there.

I've purchased a new oil filter generally hoping for it to just be a clean up and maybe a bit of tape to help seal the thread.

Also noticed a slight drip of oil on the front side seems to be from around the bottom pully just above front of sump.
I've had a quick search and come up with front crank seal this sound about right?

Thanks again for the reply really appreciated
Ray86

Postby Ray86 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:48 pm

@knobby1 wondering if you could help diagnose something related to the above...

Started working on the van and so far

Replaced front discs an pads freeing up all sliding pins as some where seized no leaks on pistons and all bk working fine (pedal a little spongey but guessing they need bedding as stiffen up when pumped with engine off and only feels spongey at idle braking at 40mph is what seems normal)

I've drained engine oil replaced oil filter and new o ring and put new sump nut on which has stopped the oil drips here.

I've removed rear diff casing then cleaned. applied new sealant to casing refitted left 24 hr and refilled with no leaks so far

Also managed to drain and refill gearbox but this is where I think something is a miss and would like to put right if I can.

The gearbox is apparently mt75 van is a transit tipper 5 speed rwd 2.4l 115 t350 on a 2006 plate

Having filled all oils I'm starting the think the drip at bellhousing drain might actually be clutch/brake fluid

The resivoir doesn't look empty but it's defo just under the full line

To find the 8mm allen fill plug on box I've had to remove the slave cylinder found info that it just twists out so went ahead carefully removed drained and filed the box and then carefully reinserted slave and twisted to lock.

Upon starting the van it's almost impossible to get 1st gear and if 1st is found with engine off and then clutch down engine on the van will creep forward with clutch down like its at biting point.

Now at the time of doing this i havent noticed and wetness to the slave but then it was quite dark under the van.

I read another post which suggests the slaves can break up on removal but also read that back bleeding can help this.

As someone that knows more than me would you be able to confirm a few things...

1) when in place if leaking would the slave drip into the bellhousing area?

2) is it true removal can cause failure and would inbe best to just buy new and fit?

3) would back bleeding make any difference I can't see how air could be introduced if I've only twisted to remove and refit?

4) would it be master cylinder bearing in mind I've not touched any area here and clutch was fine 2 days ago before the above work took place

Got me stumped
Ray86

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits