*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Power is all over the place

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Power is all over the place

Postby Motorhomemadness » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:03 am

Hi,

Had my tribute motorhome remapped over a year ago from 140 to 185 bhp, the guys who remaped it said the DPF may be blocked or starting to have problems because they couldn't raise the engine's torque, they had to run it hard and eventually the torque came up to around 450 NM.

The alteration in 3rd, 4th and 5th was impressive for the size of the motorhome. it gives sprinters a run for their money yet it weights 3.5 tons and has a house built on it.

The power, the engine sounds unlike a diesel, often with a whining noise, when its doing that the power is low, holding back all the time, it then goes into an odd exhaust sound with a rattle in the engine at 3000 rpm with a v 8 sounding exhaust, which i,m told is the DPF generating, changing gear when its doing this causes a massive power loss until the rpm hits about 2300 rpm. the regeneration happens roughly every 80 miles. not Ford rated 350 miles. the throttle feels heavy, spongy-like, a lacks response.

If the whinging stops or becomes quieter, rattling stops too, the engine pumps out more power but still holds but, only at odd times it sounds like a diesel l and when it's like this I hardly need to press the throttle, it pulls no issues, can sit in 4th at 30 mph, can short shift and it pulls but this is often shorted lived, maybe 15 minutes before the power fades away and goes into that whinging and v8 exhaust sound. cooling fans run often.

Why I had it remapped was to smooth out that engine's snappy power when used around towns and to allow the van to overtake slower traffic.

In slow traffic when it's having power issues, I have to keep going up and down the gears which is a pain in the ass.

I have to go by the sound from the engine so as to know what mood it is in, I know then if it's going to work we me or just have a paddy and refuse to do much at all lol
Motorhomemadness
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Power is all over the place

Postby TheCake » Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:33 pm

could be a dicky turbo, any black smoke?

as you mentioned dpf im guessing its a ''mk7.5'' (sept2011 to 2013)
have you plugged her into a computer to see if there is anything untoward regarding fuel pressure or any possible dtc's that havent thrown up a engine light yet?
is that rust spot new?

2010 mk7 t260 85 p.o.s. FWD, SWB
TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Motorhomemadness » Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:19 pm

TheCake wrote:could be a dicky turbo, any black smoke?

have you plugged her into a computer to see if there is anything untoward regarding fuel pressure or any possible dtc's that haven't thrown up an engine light yet?

No smoke at all.

its a 14-plate euro 5 I think. struggling to find anyone to plug it in here up in Scotland. No engine lights. things like hill start ( i think it has it as it lights up), cruise control doesn't work and never has.

It sounds rough, weak sounding with that silly whinging sound when on power. the throat seems very long, but when its working with good power he throttles in instant.

If an injector is playing up, could one work one minute and not the next? today it was being a sod in town, 2nd gear was jockeying which makes the van jump along so have to nail the throat to stop it.
Motorhomemadness
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:13 am

Motorhomemadness wrote:
TheCake wrote:could be a dicky turbo, any black smoke?

have you plugged her into a computer to see if there is anything untoward regarding fuel pressure or any possible dtc's that haven't thrown up an engine light yet?

No smoke at all.

its a 14-plate euro 5 I think. struggling to find anyone to plug it in here up in Scotland. No engine lights. things like hill start ( i think it has it as it lights up), cruise control doesn't work and never has.

It sounds rough, weak sounding with that silly whinging sound when on power. the throat seems very long, but when its working with good power he throttles in instant.

If an injector is playing up, could one work one minute and not the next? today it was being a sod in town, 2nd gear was jockeying which makes the van jump along so have to nail the throat to stop it.

Get Forscan and a Modified ELM-327 and do it yourself...less than 20 quid will see you sorted. Can cost up to 75 quid just to plug in at a garage or dealer, let alone fix anything.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Motorhomemadness » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:56 am

Was looking last night at them, Yes i know they cost a lot to plug in, ford cost more i think.

Thanks for that.
Motorhomemadness
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits