*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Clutch Noise - Release Bearing?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 Clutch Noise - Release Bearing?

Postby Tim321 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:46 pm

Hello, my van is 2008 Mk7 SWB FWD T280 140ps with 193k miles. I've owned it for 10 years, 1 previous owner. It has started making a grinding noise when you press the clutch. This only happens once the engine is warm. It's still on the original clutch from new. I'm not a mechanic but from reading this forum it sounds like a release bearing or thrust bearing? Is there a way to fix this cheaply or does it require a new clutch kit and/or something else? Will it damage anything to keep using the van till the clutch fails completely? Is there a way to stop it making the noise without replacing the clutch? Van's probably not worth as much as the clutch would cost?! Thanks in advance for any advice.
Tim321
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 Clutch Noise - Release Bearing?

Postby knobby1 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:14 pm

Tim321 wrote:Hello, my van is 2008 Mk7 SWB FWD T280 140ps with 193k miles. I've owned it for 10 years, 1 previous owner. It has started making a grinding noise when you press the clutch. This only happens once the engine is warm. It's still on the original clutch from new. I'm not a mechanic but from reading this forum it sounds like a release bearing or thrust bearing? Is there a way to fix this cheaply or does it require a new clutch kit and/or something else? Will it damage anything to keep using the van till the clutch fails completely? Is there a way to stop it making the noise without replacing the clutch? Van's probably not worth as much as the clutch would cost?! Thanks in advance for any advice.

If it is the release bearing making the noise, it's not going to get better and there's no way to get at it without removing the gearbox. If the clutch and DMF is 14 years old it will probably need replaced anyway. They don't last forever and are like brakes, they do wear out.

If you run it till it eventually fails...it WILL leave you stranded on the side of the road...and will cost more than the price of a clutch to get it back home and sorted.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Tim321 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:13 am

knobby1 wrote:
Tim321 wrote:Hello, my van is 2008 Mk7 SWB FWD T280 140ps with 193k miles. I've owned it for 10 years, 1 previous owner. It has started making a grinding noise when you press the clutch. This only happens once the engine is warm. It's still on the original clutch from new. I'm not a mechanic but from reading this forum it sounds like a release bearing or thrust bearing? Is there a way to fix this cheaply or does it require a new clutch kit and/or something else? Will it damage anything to keep using the van till the clutch fails completely? Is there a way to stop it making the noise without replacing the clutch? Van's probably not worth as much as the clutch would cost?! Thanks in advance for any advice.

If it is the release bearing making the noise, it's not going to get better and there's no way to get at it without removing the gearbox. If the clutch and DMF is 14 years old it will probably need replaced anyway. They don't last forever and are like brakes, they do wear out.

If you run it till it eventually fails...it WILL leave you stranded on the side of the road...and will cost more than the price of a clutch to get it back home and sorted.

Lord Knobrot

Thanks for your reply. Any idea roughly how long it will keep working before it fails?! … is it likely to completely fail in the next 500 miles or have I got a bit longer than that do you reckon?!
Tim321
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:28 am

Tim321 wrote:Thanks for your reply. Any idea roughly how long it will keep working before it fails?! … is it likely to completely fail in the next 500 miles or have I got a bit longer than that do you reckon?!

Sorry, I don't have a crystal ball to tell the future. It could last years or could fail tomorrow.....we don't know how you drive or what condition it is in at present.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits