*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford Transit MK7 battery systems

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Ford Transit MK7 battery systems

Postby Transit MK7 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:47 pm

Hi, I’ve bought an ex uk power networks van and it has this grey electrical box attached to the passenger seats. I think it may be some sort of split charge kit but I’m not sure. Can someone share any light on what it may be? The box is linked up to both battery’s under the drivers seat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit MK7

Re: Ford Transit MK7 battery systems

Postby bortaf » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:43 am

It could be a split charge system but judging from the lables it's an isolation system to stop power being used with the engine off ? those 2 un connected cables probably go/went to a "house" battery to run the rear of the van ?
Is it a mess van ?
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Transit MK7 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:32 am

The van is going to be converted into a camper, those 2 cables were originally connected to the aux battery load in that box I had just taken them off to see if it still powers up without them.
Transit MK7

Postby Transit MK7 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:10 pm

So it turns out this box is connected to this on the dash board. I’m not exactly sure what it’s for and whether I need it as I assume it was an upgrade that was put on by UK Power networks. Here’s another photo if someone can share any more information on what it is. Another question too is where is the system for splitting the 2 batteries when the ING is off? As I don’t want to remove this without knowing if my van still has the original split charge system in place. Hope that makes sense.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Transit MK7

Postby Altransit » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:58 pm

Transit MK7 wrote: Another question too is where is the system for splitting the 2 batteries when the ING is off? As I don’t want to remove this without knowing if my van still has the original split charge system in place. Hope that makes sense.

The original system is not a split charge as such, it's a system whereby the batteries are separated when the engine isn't running, so that the starter battery is isolated and immune to being flattened by the vehicle electrics.
When the engine is running, both batteries are being charged simultaneously.
The relay that facilitates this feature is in the battery fuse box, which is behind the batteries under the drivers seat. You should be able to hear this relay "thunk" when you turn on the ignition, and if you don't start the engine, it will disconnect (with a thunk!) about a minute or so, later.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits