*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit battery light on. MK7, 2014, 2.4 Duratorq

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Transit battery light on. MK7, 2014, 2.4 Duratorq

Postby rickyboy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:11 pm

Hi,

Having problems with the smart charge system on this van. The batteries are less than a year old and will charge up and run all day until they finally discharge. The battery light came on so ordered a new alternator. However, with the new alternator fitted the light remains on and it's not charging. It does have a code registered.

P0623 - Generator Lamp Control Circuit

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Freeze Frame #1:
-EVENT_TIME: 617590 s - Event time
-TOTAL_DISTANCE: 264623 km - Total Distance
-MODULE_VOLTAGE: 11.5 V - Control Module Voltage

I've tried removing the 2 pin plug off the back of the alternator and although the battery light goes off it's still not charging. I have a new plug but my meter suggests I have continuity so I've not changed it yet.

It also had starter problems a couple of months before which was a broken terminal which was repaired and fixed the starter. I do remember seeing a loose terminal not connected to anything which I attached to the back of the starter as it was the only place I could see that it would reach. I read a post recently saying there's a wire that can get mixed up at the starter which causes this problem but I dont see how as it worked for a couple of months after changing it without any battery light.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, is there a relay or fuse or something that can cause this?

Thanks,

Rick.
rickyboy

Re: Transit battery light on. MK7, 2014, 2.4 Duratorq

Postby rickyboy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:50 pm

Here's the starter wiring, if that's any help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rickyboy

Postby knobby1 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:08 pm

rickyboy wrote:Hi,

Having problems with the smart charge system on this van. The batteries are less than a year old and will charge up and run all day until they finally discharge. The battery light came on so ordered a new alternator. However, with the new alternator fitted the light remains on and it's not charging. It does have a code registered.

P0623 - Generator Lamp Control Circuit

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Freeze Frame #1:
-EVENT_TIME: 617590 s - Event time
-TOTAL_DISTANCE: 264623 km - Total Distance
-MODULE_VOLTAGE: 11.5 V - Control Module Voltage

I've tried removing the 2 pin plug off the back of the alternator and although the battery light goes off it's still not charging. I have a new plug but my meter suggests I have continuity so I've not changed it yet.

It also had starter problems a couple of months before which was a broken terminal which was repaired and fixed the starter. I do remember seeing a loose terminal not connected to anything which I attached to the back of the starter as it was the only place I could see that it would reach. I read a post recently saying there's a wire that can get mixed up at the starter which causes this problem but I dont see how as it worked for a couple of months after changing it without any battery light.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, is there a relay or fuse or something that can cause this?

Thanks,

Rick.

Firstly, you mention 2014 2.4 duratorq, 2014 would be Euro-5, there are no Euro-5 2.4's...

The 2.4 engine was discontinued on 26th September 2011. She must be a 2.2.

Have you checked "all" the earth points..?? There's a multitude of them on the Transits, also the ignition switch can cause issues....and they can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby rickyboy » Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:21 pm

2011, just a typo.

Ignition switch has been changed and new wires soldered on. It's had previous problems with the ignition switch but currently working fine. There are no starting issues whatsoever just charging issues and battery light remains on. I suspect it may be a wiring fault and I'm hoping to change the plug on the alternator tomorrow. I've tried using a jumper cable in several places but no change, the alternator is definitely not charging even though it's new. After the alternator plug is changed I'll be pretty much out of ideas.
rickyboy

Postby tranmx2 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:59 pm

P0623 - Generator Lamp Control Circuit. DTCs don't always show exactly what it it the problem.
The thing to look at is Control Circuit.
Old school alternator and lamp. At starter key to first position - v is supplied to the lamp from the battery, lamp lights. At engine start - alternator turning and giving out v - v is put to the lamp, lamp light out.
The v from the battery and the alternator is the same v (12v) V directed to the same point - the lamp has two V supplies - the two supplies cancel each other and the lamp goes out.
Battery line to lamp lamp to earth.
Alternator line to lamp lamp to earth.
The lamp to earth serves both supplies.

New stuff - there is likely to be a means to monitor the circuit. It is likely within the PCM.
Continuity tests.
Alternator to PCM pin. Solder on PCB connector for Alternator line pin. PCM line to lamp. Lamp filament. Lamp to earth. Lamp earth to battery earth.
Battery line to lamp. Lamp filament. Lamp to earth. Lamp earth to battery earth.

With the alternator rotating ( could need 1500 rpm) the output V can be checked using a DMM.

VCRs were a separate unit, now they are on the back of the alternator - they do go wrong.

You might be able to follow the wires by looking at the wire colours.

The PCM on mine is metal clamped in, using rivets.

On mine the single green wire at the back of the alternator had broken. It broke completely when it was put back on the alternator it could then be seen that it was down to 3 strands.

There are continuity wiring tests that can be done using Forscan. Might be info' in here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=othzIGwDtiE
The same engine and maybe set up is used on other vehicles - Ford trucks 150. Range Rover. The vehicles for which Forscan works on could have the same systems.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby rickyboy » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:54 am

Brilliant info, thanks for that.
rickyboy

Postby rickyboy » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:14 pm

This is fixed- changed the brush/regulator pack on the old alternator and it's now charging with no battery light on. New alternator is faulty.
rickyboy

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits