*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Leak from steering rack pipe entry

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Leak from steering rack pipe entry

Postby dd60 » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:38 pm

=Van: 2008 Mk7 2.4L RWD

Hi everyone, in a bit of tight spot at the moment and need a bit of hand.

I had a slight weep from where the power steering pipe enter the rack. Fluid loss was negligible, but with the MOT coming up I thought I'd change over the o-rings to stop the weep.

I went to Ford and got a pack of 2 o-rings (part number 1212679). One large and one small.

Following this thread - viewtopic.php?t=190115 it appears large ring = return and small ring = high-pressure

I fitted the large o-ring to the return pipe (seemed quite loose) and I fitted the small one to the high-pressure pipe (was really tight and hard to get on).

Went to refill and bleed the system and it was leaking badly just from turning the wheel with the engine off. I tried turning the engine on to assess how bad the leak was and it was pouring out.

What is likely to have gone wrong here? Did I put the o-ring on the wrong pipe? Possible damage to the high-pressure o-ring when fitting it to the hose? Currently the leak is bad enough that I don't want to drive it, so van is stuck in a car-park (thought it would be a quick job). I can order more o-rings if required, but at the moment it seems like I've made the situation way worse....
dd60

Re: Leak from steering rack pipe entry

Postby dd60 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:18 pm

Spoke to local Ford dealership: They can give me the part number for the kit of two o-rings but they cannot tell me the location of each o-ring.
Emailed the official Ford vendor on ebay, neither can they confirm which o-ring goes on which pipe.
Telephoned the UK branch of TRW who made the steering rack, they can help me find the part numbers but they can't help with the o-ring locations.

I've been scouring the internet and the only reference to the location of the o-rings is the Transit forum post that I linked in my OP.

Is this the best kept secret Ford has?
dd60

Re: Leak from steering rack pipe entry

Postby tranmx2 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:17 pm

Usually O rings are a neat/push fit.
Catcar shows 2 (3755 A/B) and the two pipes are different - the image may not be for your vehicle - it is for a 2.4.
O ring steering.png

2 o rings steering.jpeg

There's not a lot of difference twixt the two. They are usually a neat fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits