*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil Filler Smoke

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Oil Filler Smoke

Postby Smelly Dog » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:45 pm

Hi guys,

I have a 2010 transit mk7 2.2 tdci trend 115 t260 6 seater.92,500 miles

I've got smoke puffing out of the oil filler and dip stick holes. Also light brown, creamy gunk around the cap. I cleaned it all up including the rocker cover diaphragm and top of the fuel injectors a few weeks ago. The air intake into the turbo was very oily as well.
I also changed the oil and filters but the gunk is back and the white smoke is getting worse. It doesn't smell oily or of diesel? No engine warning lights, smoke from the back or noticeable loss of power. Not losing coolant either.

A bit of research shows that it could be many things but "unlikely" to be the head gasket.

So possibly:

Piston Rings
EGR Valve or pipes
Fuel Injectors
Valve stem seals

?????? anything I've missed?

So where is best to start? I have bought replacement fuel injector seals and o rings with the copper washers but not sure if it is worth replacing them yet if I am going to have to take the head off?

Where do I start please?

Attached two videos.

1st vid is cold start and 2nd once engine is hot.

https://youtube.com/shorts/RCP2mwNxv3A?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/vavYRfF2g_E

Cheers fellas
Smelly Dog
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Oil Filler Smoke

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:20 pm

Have a look at the coolant tank to see if that's contaminated with oil ..
This could be the oil cooler that's failed

if you don't find any oil in there , note level and check frequently.

looks really bad in 2nd video

also ive heard a blocked DPF ..can make it do all sorts of odd things ..if your exhaust gasses cant escape ..then they force themselves past the rings,.

there is a lot more to worry about on later vehicles ..some have water cooled turbos ..what symptoms that would give ..i dont know.

you also have water cooled EGR

The low mileage rules out rings and pistons ..unless the van has been used to deliver newspapers or pizzas or someone has completely ignored oil changes.

you look at all the above first ..then...
if nothing found that relates to them- start thinking head gasket or holed piston

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby tranmx2 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:20 pm

As metalworker suggests.

Have a look at the strainer/filter rocker box vent to air inlet before turbo (which is also the crankcase vent).
Could be easier to take off the exhaust see if it is blocked/restricted. Can put your hand or rag over end to find out what the pressure is like.

Slight pulsing at the oil filler is normal, the cream del la cream is not and most likely condensation if the van has done short runs - eng not up to temp, not up to op temp for long enough.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Smelly Dog » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:38 pm

Thanks Mark and metal. Very interesting. I do lots of short trips during the week. Two miles out to walk the dogs then two miles home. The occasional trip into town (3 miles! Woo hoo!)
A friend told me about the condensation problem from too many short journeys in Mondeos which I believe have the same engine!
Will do what you suggest tomorrow Mark.

Would a compression test be useful/show anything?
Smelly Dog
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby tranmx2 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:07 pm

As metalworker suggests.

As you say all short runs - bungs things up.
Go for a long run of 2 to 4 hours up to op' temp and keep it there to get rid of the cream.
It'll be smokey as the water is burnt off as steam.
The DPF is likely partially blocked it is unlikely it has done a regen for some time, so you may see smoke coming out if it starts the regen.

With Forscan live data the pressures and temps can be seen.

Read up about DPF regen. Riley has youtube vids as does SY Diagnostics.

If you are not sure about stuff - make a check list.

From what you have said re' using the van you don't need to do a compression test yet.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:23 pm

Smelly Dog wrote:Thanks Mark and metal. Very interesting. I do lots of short trips during the week. Two miles out to walk the dogs then two miles home. The occasional trip into town (3 miles! Woo hoo!)
A friend told me about the condensation problem from too many short journeys in Mondeos which I believe have the same engine!

Years ago they had a 20w50 engine oil called castrol GTX ..although a brilliant oil ...it did not like short trips ..caused all sorts of mayonnaise problems...and that was in petrols..diesels weren't common then ...
diesels take longer to warm up than petrol engines ..these ford diesels also have oil coolers which also lengthens the time to warm up .
SO that covers your mayonnaise making short trips - no good ..get on your bicycle like i do

...but not the rest. the smoke and the pressure on video 2 looks bad ..
i cant keep commenting on everything . wait for knobbys opinion .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:24 pm

Smelly Dog wrote:Thanks Mark and metal. Very interesting. I do lots of short trips during the week. Two miles out to walk the dogs then two miles home. The occasional trip into town (3 miles! Woo hoo!)

Your injector copper sealing washers are toast, very common on the Euro-4 machines. They'll need replacing and their seats reamed and cleaned. New rocker cover seals and injector clamp bolts too as they're single use. There are also upgraded clamps available but your 2010 should already have them.

Some blowby is normal, but yours is rather excessive. Check to see if you rocker cover breather system is clear.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Smelly Dog » Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:25 pm

Thanks for all the replies fellas. Very helpful.
I've got access to a proper OBD tool as two of my lads are HGV Mechanics so I can nip into their work if needed.

I have the fuel injector kit ready to go. Will pick up a reamer on Monday before I start stripping. I checked the rocker cover breather. It's blowing air ok into the Turbo intake. Will add a video later. It was building up pressure when I put my thumb over the pipe. I also checked the breather in the rocker. Wasn't covered in gunk like it was when I pulled it out a few weeks ago. A bit oily but seems ok.

Does anyone know what size/shape reamer I need for a Mk7 Tranny? I think it's 17x17 mm flat?

I also need to change the bloody Power Steering pipe. It's leaking!
Smelly Dog
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Smelly Dog » Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:40 pm

Coolant.jpeg
Coolant.jpeg
UPDATE:

Checked the rocker/crankcase breather:

https://youtu.be/JzrkqWk-YgI

Looks ok to me. Also no oil in the coolant.

Have ordered the proper clamp bolts from Ford. Only 2.86 each + VAT which explains why nowhere else bothers to stock them.

Expecting delivery of a Seat Cutting Set tomorrow so will crack on with it then.

Repaired the leaky power steering pipe. It's the low pressure return so I put some more PTFE in the thread and will monitor.

£1.50 for a brass pipe connector or 100 odd quid plus VAT for a new pipe from Ford! No brainer really.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smelly Dog
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Smelly Dog » Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:32 am

Did the injector seals a couple of days ago. Very quick and easy in the scheme of things. Old washers looked pretty good but seats definitely a bit gunked up. Lots of carbon on the fuel injectors as well so gave them a good soak with degreaser and cleaned up best I could with brake cleaner. I wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner. If I did I would have stripped the injectors and cleaned the internal parts as well.

I did a pilot relearn via the OBD too. No fault codes at all. Engine sounds a lot smoother.

Smoke on cold start up has gone but still a bit when the engine is hot. Thinking of doing an engine flush/filter and oil change.

Any suggestions?

Is it worth doing anything with the EGR or valve seat seals or should I just go with it?

Cheers fellas.
Smelly Dog
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:33 pm

Bang some diesel additive cleaner in .....you've done some of it ..the additive may clean the rest.
don't ask me what brand ..others will advice the best one to use.

Yes EGR is a regular maintenance item ..also you should take all the inlet pipes off ..intercooler clean the lot

i cleaned my intercooler after taking it off (that was a task itself as the bolts broke) then by putting strong mixture of biological washing powder with very hot water into it ..and giving it a good shake and leave for ten mins and flush out.
There is also a test ..you can do on the EGR motor to see if its closing and opening and sealing......others will advice how to do that .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Smelly Dog » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:15 am

Aside from valve stem seals and piston rings is there anything else could cause smoke in the filler?

Thinking of removing and cleaning the EGR and/or replacing the oil cooler?
Smelly Dog
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits