*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lots of Oil in the Water

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Lots of Oil in the Water

Postby Bazza1400 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:41 pm

Dear Transiteers, First Post please be gentle
I have what I believe to be a MK6 2.4 Duratorque engine in my TX2 taxi and I have had a lot of oil in the water. When it "broke down" I think it must have overheated and steam came from around by the heater matrix and grey sludgy water.
I have taken the gamble to replace the the oil cooler gasket as I have read that that they are prone to failure but I'm not sure that this is the cause. I have tested the water side of the cooler by using compressed air and there aren't any leaks on the oil side The plan is not to connect up the water connections (just bypass them) clean out all of the gunge out of the water system.

So the question is if it isn't the cooler then what might it be? The Taxi is a 2006 model and the engine is definitely 2.4 and the oil filter is replaceable paper element.
Any help appreciated - thanks in advance
Barry
Bazza1400

Re: Lots of Oil in the Water

Postby knobby1 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:16 pm

Will be the oil cooler failing internally, not the gasket, pretty common.....oil pressure is higher than coolant pressure when the engine is running so the oil always ends up in the coolant rather than the other way round.

Lord Knobrot.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby tranmx2 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:20 am

I have tested the water side of the cooler by using compressed air and there aren't any leaks on the oil side.
Did you test with more than 60 psi was the pressure contained?
The plan is not to connect up the water connections (just bypass them). Not a good idea.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Bazza1400 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:28 pm

Thanks for the replies and your advice. Noted regarding not bypassing the cooler I thought I might try for a little while to see if any oil leaked through and if not then replace them. The oil coolers are easily available for the transit but it’s a special one on the taxi - and they are more difficult to find
Bazza1400

Postby tranmx2 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:38 pm

Your engine has an engine number and code - like DRRB. They are on the head/rocker cradle RWD rhs back of eng', near the gearbox/block split rhs is a flat part on which the engine number and code are stamped. On the vans there's info' on the pillars.
Transit engines are used in other vehicles - Jaguar etc.
There's a variety of oil coolers.
Try catcar, autodoc they are in Germany. Parts companies advertise on ebay.
You've likely got a VIN.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:14 pm

tranmx2 wrote:Your engine has an engine number and code - like DRRB. They are on the head/rocker cradle RWD rhs back of eng', near the gearbox/block split rhs is a flat part on which the engine number and code are stamped. On the vans there's info' on the pillars.
Transit engines are used in other vehicles - Jaguar etc.
There's a variety of oil coolers.
Try catcar, autodoc they are in Germany. Parts companies advertise on ebay.
You've likely got a VIN.

Oil cooler on "ALL" Euro-4 2.4's are the same...it lives lower left side of engine and has the oil filter on it. Here:

https://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l ... MCsxMzM%3D

This is what they look like..:

Hecca0cdc2edb46e6adaa6601f87ac9dbf.png

There's an "upgraded" one with a metal spin-on filter available for the RWD's too, but will need a couple of bolts changed as they're slightly different lengths, I have one of these on my 2008 2.4 140, just be aware the coolant hose fittings are in a slightly different spot....but they still fit with a bit of "manipulation" and the oil cooler thermostat is redundant...:

AP03-1755226-Brand-New-Engine-Oil-Cooler-Assembly-For-Ford-Transit-MK6-MK7-MK8.jpg

Be sure to get a new rubber gasket where it bolts to the block....they normally come with the new assembly though.

You can just get the cooler/heat exhanger part of it but it's a false economy as the whole assembly only costs a tiny bit more.

There's a multitude of them on fleabay...

eBay listings

Lord Knobrot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Bazza1400 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:34 am

Dear All,
apologies for not replying sooner as I've been working away. Finally (I think) got to the bottom of and changed the oil cooler - except on my taxi its not a standard ford transit part luckily I managed to get one at a reasonable price . Fitted it without the coolant pipes to start with ran the engine and unlike the old one no oil came out of the coolant side! Now connected the hoses and I'm cleaning out the cooling system. Thanks to everyone that provided info -I'm a bit of a newbie re transits!
Cheers :D
Bazza1400

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits