*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help! fault codes P0341,P0674,P0672

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Help! fault codes P0341,P0674,P0672

Postby minione » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi all, i'm new here.
My van is a transit MK7 2012 T350 RWD 2.2 tdci
so a few weeks ago i was driving to work (20 miles) and cruising on an A road at 60mph when suddenly my van went into limp mode, the powertain fault light illuminated and slowed down (revs wouldn't pass 2.2k) i had come off a roundabout about 2 miles prior. i have a diagnostic tool which uses Forscan and have recovered the following codes.

Fault 1: P0341 which is the camshaft position sensor A circuit range performance (bank 1 or single sensor)
Fault 2: P0674 - cylinder 4 glow plug circuit/open - Module: Powertrain control module.
Fault 3: P0672 - cylinder 2 glow plug circuit/open- Module: powertrain control module.

As part of my fault investigation i checked the engine timing and i noticed that the engine timing was out by one link and my crankshaft sprocket had a chipped tooth

So far i have replaced:
Camshaft sensor, (Checked the loom for power and signal and it is good)
Crankshaft sensor,
Camchain,
Tensioner (Genuine Ford part)
Crankshaft sproket (A tooth was missing)
Chain guides.

I'm having no luck, I've reset the fault codes but the powertrain light on the instrument cluster still illuminates after 2 seconds after the engine has been started.
i have taken the van for a short drive but still no luck. Does anybody have any ideas what to try next?
Des Г©chantillons de tumeur et de sang pГ©riphГ©rique ont Г©tГ© conduits prГ©senter une rГ©ponse partielle ou une absence de rГ©ponse au sildГ©nafil.
minione

Re: Help! fault codes P0341,P0674,P0672

Postby Frag » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:15 am

I’m assuming it’s a stage 5 (as you have dtcs relating to individual glow plugs....)
If so,you need to reset the pcm learn value.
Not the dpf ones though.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby minione » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:52 pm

Hi Frag, thanks for replying fast, I forgot to mention the van has 24,283 miles from new, I have tried the PCM reset using the forscan software and reader but to no avail as the Powertrain light is still illuminated. Do you have any other ideas to try? Thanks.
Des Г©chantillons de tumeur et de sang pГ©riphГ©rique ont Г©tГ© conduits prГ©senter une rГ©ponse partielle ou une absence de rГ©ponse au sildГ©nafil.
minione

Postby Frag » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:09 am

Do you have the same fault codes now,after the timing chain repair ?
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby minione » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:27 am

Hi, yes I have exactly the same fault codes as before. I have cleared them twice and reset the PCM but no luck.
minione

Postby minione » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:33 am

I should probably add that the timing chain replacement procedure was executed with the utmost care using the haynes manual step by step and using the appropriate flywheel locking tool. We also confirmed the correct flywheel position visually with a borescope to be sure, it seems quite unlikely that the timing could still be out.

I also confirmed in detail that the camshaft sensor is in fact working correctly by directly measuring supply voltage to the sensor, ground quality and change in signal out by triggering the sensor with a little magnet, taken out of the engine but connected to the wiring harness.

The DTC info as read by ForScan is as follows:
Code: P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor)

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Signal Compare Failure

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 245220261 s - Global real time
-TOTDIST: 39082.0 km - Total Distance
-MAINECUV: 11.00 V - Main ECU voltage supply

Reading this in detail, especially looking at the "signal compare" part, is there a chance that the problem could lie with the crankshaft sensor wiring? The sensor itself is new and seems unlikely to be the culprit.

Many thanks and with best regards,

Ollie
minione

Postby CharlyChimpo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:45 pm

Hello there,

I helped Ollie with the timing chain change and am very interested in finding out what the solution might be. We've now pretty much double and triple checked everything we could think of and that we could find online. At this point we're completely out of ideas and would hugely appreciate any help or pointers we can get.

Since we have still had no success clearing the fault, I suspect one of our assumptions must be wrong:

• A PCM reset is what Frag suggested
    Thank you for your replies, Frag. Unfortunately we were unsure what you meant with
    reset the pcm learn value

FORScan has an option to reset the PCM (and other modules) which we have tried unsuccessfully. There also seems to be an option to reset either "all learn values" or specific learn values related to e.g. pumps but we didn't seem to be able to find a way to reset any learn values specific to crankshaft sensor, camshaft sensor or timing. Could you please elaborate on your suggestion? Is there a way to reset the relevant learn value with FORScan?

• The cause of "P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or single sensor)"
    What usually causes this fault code? Our assumption was that this would be directly connected to the camshaft sensor, e.g. a broken sensor and have since measured (no problem found) and to be sure replaced the sensor, with no success. Is there any other potential source for this DTC?

• The meaning of "Signal Compare Failure"
    What is the camshaft position sensor signal compared with? We assumed comparison with the crank shaft sensor makes the most sense in context and checked the engine timing. The timing being off by one link and the broken crank shaft sprocked seemed to confirm this assumption. However, is there anything else the PCM might compare the camshaft sensor signal with?

• The timing now being correct after replacing timing chain etc.
    We performed the timing chain change step by step by the book but admittedly we had some trouble finding the correct position with the flywheel locking tool since the tool seems to block flywheel rotation after every flywheel tooth/protrusion. We assumed that the correct position is the one where the tool can be inserted the furthest into the flywheel. Because this position was difficult to find by feeling we visually confirmed what we thought to be the right position using a bore-scope. The flywheel seems to have a u-shaped cut-away in only one position that seems to allow the tool to be inserted further. Is this the correct position?

After we re-installed chain guards and tensioner we rotated the engine through a few times, veryfying correct timing by re-inserting camshaft locking pins and flywheel locking tool to confirm correct timing, this worked without issues which led us to believe our timing would now be correct. Is there any mistake we could have made here, trying to confirm correct timing?

• Glow plug DTCs being unrelated
    We largely ignored the glow plug DTCs as irrelevant to the timing issue, is there any possibility there could be a connection, is it worth trying to replace the glow-plugs first and then continue from there?

Many thanks for considering our issues and thanks in advance for any comments, pointers and suggestions.

Best regards,

Chris
08 MK7 350 2.4l 140ps RWD 6-Speed LWB HR (ETIS info)
CharlyChimpo

Postby Frag » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:26 pm

I don’t use Forscan so can’t help with what description is used.
IDS,it’s in pcm,service functions,reset PCM learn values.
Though it doesn’t specifically list cam or crank sensors,it resets their learned values,and is nescessary now you’ve fixed the fault and changed the cam/crank timing relation.
(As long as you don’t clear the dpf learn values,everthing else will not cause any problems)
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby CharlyChimpo » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:28 pm

Thanks Frag, much appreciated, we'll give it another go!
08 MK7 350 2.4l 140ps RWD 6-Speed LWB HR (ETIS info)
CharlyChimpo

Postby Frag » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:26 pm

Ok,I’ve looked at notes I have,of the problem I had.
That was a different code PCM dtc1174,
Which was doing the symptoms you have and was cured by the reset.

Looking at yours being a circuit failure,suggests wiring or poor connection.
I’ve had trouble with an aftermarket Cam sensor,which would cause a non start as soon as warm.
I’d also recommend looking at crank sensor as you mentioned,and pay attention to it’s air gap from flywheel.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby StuHall » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:58 pm

minione wrote:Hi all, i'm new here.
so a few weeks ago i was driving to work (20 miles) and cruising on an A road at 60mph when suddenly my van went into limp mode, the powertain fault light illuminated and slowed down (revs wouldn't pass 2.2k) i had come off a roundabout about 2 miles prior. i have a diagnostic tool which uses Forscan and have recovered the following codes.

Fault 1: P0341 which is the camshaft position sensor A circuit range performance (bank 1 or single sensor)
Fault 2: P0674 - cylinder 4 glow plug circuit/open - Module: Powertrain control module.
Fault 3: P0672 - cylinder 2 glow plug circuit/open- Module: powertrain control module.

As part of my fault investigation i checked the engine timing and i noticed that the engine timing was out by one link and my crankshaft sprocket had a chipped tooth

So far i have replaced:
Crankshaft sensor,
Camchain,
Chain guides.

I'm having no luck, I've reset the fault codes but the powertrain light on the instrument cluster still illuminates after 2 seconds after the engine has been started.
i have taken the van for a short drive but still no luck. Does anybody have any ideas what to try next?

Hi, please could you let me know if you ever resolved this problem as I have also changed the timing chain and now have the same fault coaxes you quote. The van was perfect before I replaced the chain due.
Many thanks in anticipation
Stu
StuHall

Postby knobby1 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:02 am

StuHall wrote:
minione wrote:Hi all, i'm new here.

So far i have replaced:
Crankshaft sensor,
Camchain,
Chain guides.

Hi, please could you let me know if you ever resolved this problem as I have also changed the timing chain and now have the same fault coaxes you quote. The van was perfect before I replaced the chain due.
Many thanks in anticipation
Stu

Thread is nearly 3 year old and I'm afraid the person you're replying to, (minione), hasn't been back here isnce Nov 9 of 2021....so we'll probably never know.

Best you start a new thread with your issue.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits