*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.4 RWD Minibus Wheel bearings

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2.4 RWD Minibus Wheel bearings

Postby sidneysausage » Sat May 27, 2023 3:28 pm

Hi All, Trying to solve the annoying noises on my van. 2009 2.4 RWD Minibus. Seems I have a rear wheel bearing gone and to add to the job the last MOT said the rear discs will need replacing soon. Handy thought I as if you have to take a hub off replacing the discs makes sense. So my question. Where can I get rear hubs with bearings already pressed home? I tried Autodoc and despite having the reg they managed to send me FWD rear hubs, if that makes sense, and then they suggested an alternative which was just the bearings!! Without the use of a press, I'm thinking this isn't much of an alternative. So I've googled and googled and found nowt Is it me or are the hub assemblies hard to find? Any suggestions...pls??
sidneysausage
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2.4 RWD Minibus Wheel bearings

Postby knobby1 » Sat May 27, 2023 10:45 pm

sidneysausage wrote:Hi All, Trying to solve the annoying noises on my van. 2009 2.4 RWD Minibus. Seems I have a rear wheel bearing gone and to add to the job the last MOT said the rear discs will need replacing soon. Handy thought I as if you have to take a hub off replacing the discs makes sense. So my question. Where can I get rear hubs with bearings already pressed home? I tried Autodoc and despite having the reg they managed to send me FWD rear hubs, if that makes sense, and then they suggested an alternative which was just the bearings!! Without the use of a press, I'm thinking this isn't much of an alternative. So I've googled and googled and found nowt Is it me or are the hub assemblies hard to find? Any suggestions...pls??

Mk7 2.4 RWD has full floating rear axle/hubs. The rotors are actually bolted to the hub assembly, ABS reluctor rings need to come off, they're just pressed onto the rotor. The bearings are a pair of tapered roller bearings on each side with the outer races pressed into the hubs. They have a 65mm nut holding the hub to the axle housing, left side is left hand thread and they're done up to a silly torque, you'll need at least a 3/4" drive 3' knuckle bar with a 4' pipe extension to remove them. You'll definitely break a 1/2" drive knuckle bar. Hub seals will need replacing as they tend to leak if disturbed.

The bearings rarely fail as they use the diff oil for lube.

Lord Knobrot.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby sidneysausage » Mon May 29, 2023 10:34 am

The bearings rarely fail as they use the diff oil for lube.

So I've looked into the maintenance history of the van and the rear discs were changed a year or so ago, so would I be right in thinking the "mechanic" may not have torqued the hub nut to the "silly torque" required and this has caused the bearing to fail? The driver's side definitely gives the classic wopwop sound. Guess I'll have to buy new bearings and pay to have them pressed into the hub??
sidneysausage
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon May 29, 2023 7:56 pm

sidneysausage wrote:The bearings rarely fail as they use the diff oil for lube.

So I've looked into the maintenance history of the van and the rear discs were changed a year or so ago, so would I be right in thinking the "mechanic" may not have torqued the hub nut to the "silly torque" required and this has caused the bearing to fail? The driver's side definitely gives the classic wopwop sound. Guess I'll have to buy new bearings and pay to have them pressed into the hub??

Anything is possible I guess...The bearing/hub retaining nuts are done up to 425nm (314lb-ft)...so yes, they need to be tight.

If it is indeed the bearings failing, yes, the outer races will need removing from the hub and new ones pressed into the hub.

Axle torque.JPG

Rear axle bearings.JPG

Lord Knobrot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby sidneysausage » Mon May 29, 2023 10:12 pm

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
sidneysausage
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jim Archer » Tue May 30, 2023 7:19 am

There is access to the races to knock them out of the hub with a drift, they are a simple 'spaced pair' assembly, so easy enough to do yourself.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits