*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil sludge in header tank and white smoke

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Oil sludge in header tank and white smoke

Postby Big-mick » Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:36 am

Transit 2.2 tdci fwd 2007 mk7.
I had a turbo run on rebuilt all the broken bits Inc piston and rings and new head, since doing that I've had white smoke from exhaust idle very little driving its ridiculous can't see the road behind so replaced cat and rear box no better, then I ended with header tank full of oil I'm not sure if both are related issues? I'm thinking egr and ccooler possibly oil cooler or turbo seal leaking even being a new turbo cartridge best part starts on the button smooth and quiet revs easily with no missfire. Can anyone put light on this as I'm loosing the will to live
If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Ford transit t260 2.2 tdci 85hp 2007.
Big-mick
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Oil sludge in header tank and white smoke

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:39 am

Big-mick wrote:Transit 2.2 tdci fwd 2007 mk7.
I had a turbo run on rebuilt all the broken bits Inc piston and rings and new head, since doing that I've had white smoke from exhaust idle very little driving its ridiculous can't see the road behind so replaced cat and rear box no better, then I ended with header tank full of oil I'm not sure if both are related issues? I'm thinking egr and ccooler possibly oil cooler or turbo seal leaking even being a new turbo cartridge best part starts on the button smooth and quiet revs easily with no missfire. Can anyone put light on this as I'm loosing the will to live

The "diesel runaway" was caused by the turbo failing in the first place...was the intercooler thoroughly cleaned of oil..?? If not you'll get blue/white smoke for a long time to come.

Oil in the coolant reservoir is a blown oil cooler...quite common. Also check the EGR "cooler", you can by-pass it by just connecting the two coolant pipes together to at least eliminate it as an issue.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Big-mick » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:48 am

New intercooler and turbo, would it be worth upgrading the oil cooler with the can type filter at the same time ? The biggest question really how do you clean all the waterways?

Big-mick
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:07 pm

After fixing the problem

That could be any of these:
Head gasket
EGR
oil cooler
Clean the waterways with neat jizzer .(expensive ..as you'll need a gallon)..which is water soluble and turns white when mixed with water, after running engine with it in the rad for 10 mins ..just flush and keep flushing until no white water comes out .
You could try other stuff .......like cheap biological washing powder, mix a hot solution at 4:1 ratio ...must have de-foamer added

de-foamer link - whole search link cant put in here ./.as it gets broken ..but you'll get what I'm on about and maybe you do a search and find cheapest value for money

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252572599122?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152158617927?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233597804964?

Do any transits have transmission coolers in the radiators .....this could be possible cause as well

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Big-mick » Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:34 pm

Cheers for the reply I know the head and gasket are good new head and gasket looks like il change the oil cooler on the block and egr with cooler then it's done, jizzer is a great idea would gunk work as well as seems more readily available where I live.

Big-mick
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:29 pm

Big-mick wrote:Cheers for the reply I know the head and gasket are good new head and gasket looks like il change the oil cooler on the block and egr with cooler then it's done, jizzer is a great idea would gunk work as well as seems more readily available where I live.

well had thought of gunk ..thought it way to expensive to mention ...until i looked

and look its cheap 2 x 5 ltrs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393343070514?

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby marcrbarker » Sun Jun 04, 2023 4:54 pm

Some ideas to contribute, about the white smoke and about checking the head gasket is OK. Might be this. Sometimes after stripping and rebuilding an engine top-end and if the coolant was not fully drained out some of it found its way into exhaust and first start up looks like a white smokebomb just gone off antifreeze makes a great smokescreen. A steamy white colour and moist sweet smell. Diesel white smoke is nasty smell stings the eyes. If it's this steamy sort it might just clear by itself after 30 mins or so. Tried that?. If didn't then it's back to what's said previous posts If coolant is getting into the oil then it's milky oil at the PCV & filler cap. Oil in coolant floats up to the expansion tank.

A tip head gasket check is if exhaust or combustion chamber is blowing into coolant, the rubber hoses would bloat up can feel by squeezing by hand high pressure built up inside even though the coolant hasn't heated up

There's an in-situ waterways cleaning bodge I know of that's pour a couple or three bottles of Barrs Leaks into the coolant and run that for a few hundred miles, it contains finely ground walnut shells that abrade and make the coolant brown. The water pump impeller gets nicely polished.
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Big-mick » Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:42 pm

The cat and silencer have just been changed and still smoking it had a new head and gasket fitted so I've counted them out all preped and cleaned before fitting, I'm ordering 25litres of degreaser Monday to clean it through and the oil cooler with bypass on the egr cooler to clean it out then egr and cooler next week and hopefully that will sort the issues. I'm planning on removing the turbo to double check that it has let go on any seals also checking the injector seals aren't leaking I'm praying they're all OK il let everyone know how it goes and what I've found cheers for all the comments most gratefully received thank you all.

Big-mick
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby v8dave » Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:49 pm

Oil in the water header tank could be from failed water pump seal or bearings.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:50 am

v8dave wrote:Oil in the water header tank could be from failed water pump seal or bearings.

Didn't think the FWD water pump bearings/seals had access to the oil galleries....?? I was under the impression the bearings are a sealed unit.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:29 am

knobby1 wrote:
v8dave wrote:Oil in the water header tank could be from failed water pump seal or bearings.

Didn't think the FWD water pump bearings/seals had access to the oil galleries....?? I was under the impression the bearings are a sealed unit.

Lord Knobrot
Correct

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby marcrbarker » Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:30 pm

Hi BigMick A neat trick for troubleshooting engine coolant going somewhere it shouldn't go - but can't find where it's going. Works every time. is provoke coolant to escape quicker so it's more detectable.
Pressure up the cooling system with air and maintain it to about 10 psi to a bar. Tyre pump with pressure gauge connect to one of the small water hoses and seal off where the hose came from. You can also get useful info watching the pressure needle dropping or holding up.
If there had been a cracked head at the water jacket it's usually always near exhaust port. Which would open wider and exhaust blows into coolant when engine get hot (thermostat fitted) and balloon up the radiator hoses.
I have a gut feeling there's also pumped oil pressure getting into the coolant somehow if not the oilcooler I would had suggested suspect head /block joint (i.e. gasket).
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Big-mick » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:55 pm

So far replaced oil cooler sorted the sludge out put a heavy duty one on all is good there, still got smoke not as much at the moment decided to replace turbo cartridge as a precaution still smokey no water loss or oil loss. Rite its been stood 12 months and no new fuel the silencer I recently fitted with the cat is a performance straight through item now am I correct in saying old fuel and straight through pipe could allow smoke? Or am I going nuts I've decided to replace the rocker cover as I noticed mine seems to not be fully closed around the breather pipe no idea if that would throw up smoky issues but changing it all the same ....
All ideas gratefully received and checked out just loosing my marbles just don't know what to do it idles fine and picks up great don't know what to do for the best I'm just at a loss cheers all

Big-mick
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:40 pm

well, it is possible to put piston rings in upside down!

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby marcrbarker » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:54 pm

Old fuel = smoke? Usual is drain whole tank and refill with new to find out. Maybe instead temporarily rig up a little bottle feed of fresh fuel as a test? Done that a few times with the smilely trannys (for other reasons than smoke), never done that one of these though. Plonk suction and return fuel lines down into a 1/2 full litre plastic bottle of fresh fuel, so the same fuel goes round and round.

Straight-through non-OEM pipe causes smoke? You mean something to do with affecting gasflow? I had started another thread "Intake Reversion/ Soot after DPF Delete" to do with black smoke problems after a straight-through pipe. Was after had completely removed a DPF and cat to make a straight through pipe and with nothing there to trap smoke. But on that forum thread this smoke only ever happens at idle speed and no other time.
marcrbarker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits