*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Knocking

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Knocking

Postby Colin K » Thu Jul 24, 2025 12:08 pm

Hello Chaps, Van has been running amazing and just maneuvering her to change a rear disc and she started knocking. Nothing odd done bump starting bla bla just stalled and when i restarted her starts knocking Hoping she hasn't broke the top rail jumped a cog etc Any thoughts to test her before I take the top off. Disconnected each injector lead one by one and actually made no difference. Apart from the knock no misfire. Have got Forscan any readings to check.

Thanks for any thoughts, Col.

2006 2.4 115bhp RWD LWB
Transit MK 7 2006 RWD LWB 350 115bhp
Colin K
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Coventry

Re: Knocking

Postby Colin K » Thu Jul 24, 2025 12:19 pm

Took a quick video but it wont blooming upload Sorry
Transit MK 7 2006 RWD LWB 350 115bhp
Colin K
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Coventry

Re: Knocking

Postby Colin K » Thu Jul 24, 2025 12:42 pm

Plugged in my mickey mouse ICARSOFT diagnostic and cylinder balances are cyl 1 -0.17 cyl 2 -0.82 cyl 3 0.06 cyl 4 0.98 Are these readings horrible ??


Col.
Transit MK 7 2006 RWD LWB 350 115bhp
Colin K
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Coventry

Re: Knocking

Postby Colin K » Thu Jul 24, 2025 2:30 pm

Hello all,
Always like to feed back I took off the air inlet pipe and it had a popping sound so decided to bite the bullet. Injectors out look Ok rocker cover off and sods law its a 2.4 Transit cylinder 1 has got a cam rocker in pieces.

So just stopping and starting it I presume she has jumped a cog.

All the best, Col.
Transit MK 7 2006 RWD LWB 350 115bhp
Colin K
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Coventry

Re: Knocking

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jul 24, 2025 10:39 pm

Colin K wrote:Hello all,
Always like to feed back I took off the air inlet pipe and it had a popping sound so decided to bite the bullet. Injectors out look Ok rocker cover off and sods law its a 2.4 Transit cylinder 1 has got a cam rocker in pieces.

So just stopping and starting it I presume she has jumped a cog.

All the best, Col.


Inlet or exhaust side..?? Engine won't run at all if the inlet cam has jumped a tooth or more on a Mk7...Anything is possible...If the timing has jumped enough to smash a rocker, there should be more than just one affected.., Check the rocker ladder for cracks and the bolts may have pulled out of the head. The roller bearings on the rockers often just fall to pieces, you may have bits 'n pieces of rocker and little needle rollers in the sump.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18710
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Knocking

Postby Colin K » Fri Jul 25, 2025 9:37 am

knobby1 wrote:
Colin K wrote:Hello all,
Always like to feed back I took off the air inlet pipe and it had a popping sound so decided to bite the bullet. Injectors out look Ok rocker cover off and sods law its a 2.4 Transit cylinder 1 has got a cam rocker in pieces.

So just stopping and starting it I presume she has jumped a cog.

All the best, Col.


Inlet or exhaust side..?? Engine won't run at all if the inlet cam has jumped a tooth or more on a Mk7...Anything is possible...If the timing has jumped enough to smash a rocker, there should be more than just one affected.., Check the rocker ladder for cracks and the bolts may have pulled out of the head. The roller bearings on the rockers often just fall to pieces, you may have bits 'n pieces of rocker and little needle rollers in the sump.

Lord Knobrot



Hello Mate thanks for the reply Its a bit quiet on here these days :)

Took the rack off the top its taken the second cam out left hand side think thats exhaust roller and its pin were laying loose. Its smashed the cup on the rack that holds it in place. Its also dinged the side of the relevant cam but not the actual face. I still have my old engine so going to raid that and the actual exhaust cam complete i think. Got a whole new cam lit on the way including the cam cover I have never got one off intact :) :) Guess rebuild her and might do a oil flush before I swap the oil ?

As always thank you for you help and have a great day. Col.
Transit MK 7 2006 RWD LWB 350 115bhp
Colin K
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Coventry

Re: Knocking

Postby Colin K » Tue Jul 29, 2025 11:51 am

Hello chaps,
I am a tad confused I have stripped her out and always out of curiosity take the cover off to see what has slipped etc. Here I have one cam smashed (second one in from the front) but just lined up the timing marks not put the pins in etc but you know if its a tooth out!! and they all line up. Looks like a cam has just fell apart with fatigue etc. This is a first for me i normally find one of the cams jumped. Anyone else had this?

Obviously got everything new to fit so just get on with it I guess.

Any thoughts? Col.
Transit MK 7 2006 RWD LWB 350 115bhp
Colin K
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Coventry

Re: Knocking

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jul 29, 2025 7:58 pm

Colin K wrote:Hello chaps,
I am a tad confused I have stripped her out and always out of curiosity take the cover off to see what has slipped etc. Here I have one cam smashed (second one in from the front) but just lined up the timing marks not put the pins in etc but you know if its a tooth out!! and they all line up. Looks like a cam has just fell apart with fatigue etc. This is a first for me i normally find one of the cams jumped. Anyone else had this?

Obviously got everything new to fit so just get on with it I guess.

Any thoughts? Col.


The cam lobes are pressed onto the camshaft...it's not one piece....we've had occurences of lobes actually spinning or sliding backwards/forwards on the shaft...rare but has happened.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18710
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: Knocking

Postby Colin K » Sat Aug 02, 2025 11:28 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Colin K wrote:Hello chaps,
I am a tad confused I have stripped her out and always out of curiosity take the cover off to see what has slipped etc. Here I have one cam smashed (second one in from the front) but just lined up the timing marks not put the pins in etc but you know if its a tooth out!! and they all line up. Looks like a cam has just fell apart with fatigue etc. This is a first for me i normally find one of the cams jumped. Anyone else had this?

Obviously got everything new to fit so just get on with it I guess.

Any thoughts? Col.


The cam lobes are pressed onto the camshaft...it's not one piece....we've had occurences of lobes actually spinning or sliding backwards/forwards on the shaft...rare but has happened.

Lord Knobrot



Hello chum Yes I have had one spin loose.

Well I rebuilt her and fitted new cam chain kit etc etc. She is very much quieter and has more zip. Still a bit confused no jumps on the cogs all lined up before I stripped her. The cam that had failed had its rollers smashed and the wheel gave the head a right ding but no problem. The top rack subsequently failed due to one of the holding joints smashed. The adjuster was however at virtually full stretch compared to the new set up so perhaps everything was worn out. Since have done the rear discs and today the last front bearing. Preparing for Europe wooo hooo

As always thanks for the advise, Col.
Transit MK 7 2006 RWD LWB 350 115bhp
Colin K
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:17 pm
Location: Coventry


Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.