Hello everyone, my name is Antonio and I'm writing from Sardinia. Sorry for my poor English.
I purchased a Transit 2.4 tdci with a Duratorq H9FB engine that had melted bearings. I had the cylinders, crankshaft, and cylinder head refaced. The crankshaft was refaced: main bearing seats at -0.25 and the connecting rod at -0.50. So I purchased oversized main bearings with a 0.25 main bearing and a 0.50 connecting rod bearing.
Before reinstalling everything, I preferred to test with plastigage as recommended in the Ford manual. Main bearings 2, 3, 4, and 5 are fine with a clearance of ~0.04 mm, but #1 has a clearance of 0.076 mm. Ford specifications indicate a clearance of 0.005 to 0.051 mm. So I fit perfectly with bearings 2/5, but the first one has a clearance of 0.025 mm more than the engine specifications.
I reported this to the reconditioning department, but they told me it was fine anyway. Searching online, I only found that it could be a major mistake with serious repercussions. There are three alternatives at my point of view:
1) grinding of bearing no. 1 to -0.50 and using a larger bushing +0.50, and leaving the others as they are
2) Find a custom bushing with a thickness of +0.32, which would give me a play of 0.04 like the others.
3) Don't care about the fact that I'm out of tolerance with the No. 1 bushing and reassemble everything.
I hope someone can help me find the most correct solution.
Best regards

