*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Auto lights flash on and off

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Auto lights flash on and off

Postby reevco62 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:05 pm

I have 11 plate Transit Tourneo Limited, I had owned it for about 4 weeks and driving home from the morning school run September about 9.30am (Light a bit dull and overcast) heard a clicking sound from the glove-box area looked down at dash and lights where flashing they did this around four or five times as I was about 200m from the main agents I had bought the van from I pulled in and had a word, I was treated as if I had imagined it and there was no known reports of this ever happening before.

Tonight around 5pm (Early dusk) after dropping my daughter off at swimming the lights when crazy they where on auto and where flashing with a mind of their own the relays where clicking behind the glove-box. I tuned them to manual and then back to auto and they where still flashing did this a few times still flashing turned them off then back to auto but still flashing. Gave up and left on manual got home and tried auto once more and all worked as they should.....

I'm thinking sensor problem here as it seems to do it in dull/dusk conditions. but I should have thought that once they come on they should stay on for a short time like they do once you leave a tunnel. Not rapid flashing.
It takes thousands of nuts to hold a Transit together but only one nut behind the wheel to distribute them all over the road...
reevco62
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Auto lights flash on and off

Postby Timbo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:24 pm

"Auto lights" should not operate that quickly. There should be some hysteresis i.e. when it turns the lights on the light level must increase some before it turns them off again. I would check the light switch and wiring from there to the sensor which is mounted on the winscreen behind (in front of - relative to van) the rear view mirror. If all is OK then try the sensor itself. Don't know if there is any sort of "amplifier" for the sensor as part of the BCM.
Timbo
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby reevco62 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:52 pm

I can't look myself as van is still under warranty but fore-warned is fore-armed, when I do go in to the main dealer.....tomorrow...

I have fitted a tow-bar with twin electrics with a 7 way relay and power relay for the grey socket all wired as instructions and all working fine. this was fitted the day I picked the van up 6 months ago..... so can't see this being the problem.
It takes thousands of nuts to hold a Transit together but only one nut behind the wheel to distribute them all over the road...
reevco62
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dethleffs » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:36 pm

Sorry I cannot help with your problem but............

My radio on my 09 van was playing up. It would stop working for a few seconds and the display would show 'PHONE'

My dealer had the van for a day and said that they coudn't find a problem with it.

The next time it did it for me I filmed it with my phone and showed the dealer.

New radio on order sir!
One life, live it
dethleffs
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby reevco62 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:20 pm

I was thinking that tonight but couldn't film it as driving and by the time I got home it was behaving it self
reevco62
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby reevco62 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:39 pm

After ford had the van all day they came up with the conclusion that there was nothing wrong with it, all I got was can you bring it back the next time it does it.

Don't they realise how much inconvenience it put me to to keep taking the van in.

Main agents Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
reevco62
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby reevco62 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:03 pm

Three years on and it's never done it again, in-fact I had forgotten all about it ever doing it till reading my old posts

It did have a new screen fitted at one point so maybe something to do with sensor maybe moving it for the new screen fixed it
reevco62
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby reevco62 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:50 pm

Six years on and still not done it again
reevco62
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Sun May 07, 2017 1:53 pm

Ford probably updated the software to fix a known problem, but didn't want to admit that to you!
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby loot » Sun May 07, 2017 1:55 pm

:lol:
Maybe a bird poo partially blocked the sensor? :mrgreen:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby EastbourneCabbie » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:30 pm

I believe you!!!
Seems as though my 2011 Tourneo has developed this fault. When dusk and lights set to auto, it will behave and then all of a sudden fast flashing headlights. Having to stick it on manual for the time being as i dont trust it. Screen was replaced Jan 2019. Any ideas??
EastbourneCabbie

Postby loot » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:38 pm

The rain sensor is stuck to the glass but there's a silicon pad and I think that needs to be clean and fit well, I think it may even have a vaseline type liquid there which stops condensation obscuring the sensor. If they didn't fit it well then it may be having trouble. Or a loose connection, I've known the sensors to fail too and also the wiring, sometimes they screw the visors back on through the wire for the rain sensor :lol:

Autoglass was it? :P
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby dumper » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:08 pm

My mk8 flashed the headlights on and off in town last December and another van pulled across in front of me I did the sounded the horn and flagged the Vs turned out to be mate of mine he rang me up and said what the fook up with you t@@t you flashed me across so I never use the auto headlights anymore before I had the auto wipers turned off and back to standard intermittent if I switched them on sometimes they would go absolutely mad with very little rain on the screen modem vans have to much controlled by the computer
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby reevco62 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:09 pm

Now ten years on and it’s still never re-occurred since the new screen was fitted so putting it down to the sensor fitting
reevco62
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:01 pm

My sensor is in the bin and turn off my Toyota Yaris has auto dip and nearly had me off the road turned main beam off on a very fast bend because of a car must have been half a mile away on a series or up hill bends that my headlights would never blind the on coming driver total sh@@t computer controlled system.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits