*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What did you do to your mk6/7 today?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: What did you do to your mk6/7 today?

Postby walt1984 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:06 pm

Quick photo outside sign writers
Only had van 9 years next month
There alot of dark blue tramps Van's round me now so had my lads name put on bonnet as something different.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-A107F using Tapatalk
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby loot » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:41 pm

walt1984 wrote:Quick photo outside sign writers
There alot of dark blue tramps Van's round me now so had my lads name put on bonnet as something different.ImageImage

Neat job. Hey so you think I could do sign writing in the lair?
Big plotter vinyl cutter printer thing and I can fit it in there too, what's the going rate for a normal job?
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby walt1984 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:28 pm

Do it but only for transits lol.
Havnt had bill yet.
Its gunna be about 245 plus Vodka And Tonic.

"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby loot » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:11 pm

walt1984 wrote:Do it but only for transits lol.
Havnt had bill yet.

My first job would be a sky van :shock: :lol:
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby ned » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:51 pm

loot wrote:
walt1984 wrote:Do it but only for transits lol.
Havnt had bill yet.

My first job would be a sky van :shock: :lol:

A sky van as in a box with wings
download (1).jpeg

You'll need a big ladder to get up there

If you do go for it you'll need the vinyl printer and cutter, we shall have to call you big looty, that'll be your rapping name yo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:57 pm

Nice, looks very professional and smart at least you can see what you do, some vans I've seen are written up with the trade really small or not on there at all, I always say what you do is more important then what your called when it comes to vehicle signs.

Nice Bolton roofrack
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby loot » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:04 pm

ned wrote:

Nice, looks very professional and smart at least you can see what you do, some vans I've seen are written up with the trade really small or not on there at all, I always say what you do is more important then what your called when it comes to vehicle signs.

Nice Bolton roofrack

I agree with mr Ned, some are very cryptic :lol: I always say in the voice of Keith lemon, "So what's the message" :?
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby walt1984 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:24 am

Some of my jobs are on farms and a couple of times people have joked "thought it was tarmacers coming up track" if you get what I mean without being offensive.

I was working for a auntie of a customer changing some taps and she said it's a shame I'm not gas safe registered coz she hates the guy that services her boiler.
When I said I was she said "it dosent say so on your van"

My old fella started sign writing the Van 3 years ago and will go mentle when he sees it's been done but I'd had enough and wanted some pride in me van again.

Bolton roof rack?
Think it's from Clitheroe.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Airthies » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:18 am

Altransit wrote:
DG-Unit wrote: Well I will stop moaning about spending £300 for parts and tools to do both sides then! :o

Oh yes, I forgot about the panels which I bought for £80 a few weeks back

I can't be doing with messing around doing repairs at floor level, on an open driveway nowadays :oops: Although I can do stuff like this myself, I choose not to, but finding people who are willing to do welding repairs is more difficult these days.
I think people really need to get to grips with the cost of welding jobs.
Been doing some welding work for my mate lately, cars & vans for MOTs Now I'm doing decent solid jobs as I don't put my name to pigeon sh1te, but not showroom by any measure
Looked at a SWB mk7 one day, two sills, rear cross member and spring hangers all needed. and I reckon start with a grand and if it's less then your onto a winner. And the customers happy.
But other folk are quoting 400-700 for the same job.
Now either other folk can do it way faster than me or they're cheaper per hour or they're not charging what it's actually cost "cos the vehicles not worth it" but obviously it is worth it, if they want it done! As it's cheaper than selling an buying another.
It's also the health factors of the fumes it creates, I've recently bought an air fed helmet which wasn't cheep but I'm sick of feeling sick and I'm sure if you asked half of the customers to hold their head over here and get a few lung fulls of that acrid stuff as the under seal and paint burn off they'd tell you, you couldn't pay them to do that.

Ooh that turned into a bit of a rant

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:32 am

Airthies wrote:]I think people really need to get to grips with the cost of welding jobs.
Been doing some welding work for my mate lately, cars & vans for MOTs Now I'm doing decent solid jobs as I don't put my name to pigeon sh1te, but not showroom by any measure
Looked at a SWB mk7 one day, two sills, rear cross member and spring hangers all needed. and I reckon start with a grand and if it's less then your onto a winner. And the customers happy.
But other folk are quoting 400-700 for the same job.........

I understand what you're saying and trust me, I never try and get anything done on the cheap, it's just trying to get anyone to commit to doing it that's the first problem, and then finding that their welding is not up to the mark is the next problem.

I spent almost £1500 on the Mk6 getting welding done underneath and on the inner wing, only for it to fail the following year on corrosion in many of the same places (plus a few more) the welder had obviously covered all of the bodging under a layer of Shutz

In 2019, someone quoted me £150 to sort out the step on the Mk7 which was an MOT advisory, but a year later, (plus a furlough 6 months) I opted to get it done properly using new panels because my mechanical work guy said he would do it over the course of a week, using time where he wasn't otherwise busy. I was quite happy to pay his invoice 8) :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Tosh52 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:25 pm

Altransit wrote:
Airthies wrote:]I think people really need to get to grips with the cost of welding jobs.
But other folk are quoting 400-700 for the same job.........

I understand what you're saying and trust me, I never try and get anything done on the cheap, it's just trying to get anyone to commit to doing it that's the first problem, and then finding that their welding is not up to the mark is the next problem.

I spent almost £1500 on the Mk6 getting welding done underneath and on the inner wing, only for it to fail the following year on corrosion in many of the same places (plus a few more) the welder had obviously covered all of the bodging under a layer of Shutz

In 2019, someone quoted me £150 to sort out the step on the Mk7 which was an MOT advisory, but a year later, (plus a furlough 6 months) I opted to get it done properly using new panels because my mechanical work guy said he would do it over the course of a week, using time where he wasn't otherwise busy. I was quite happy to pay his invoice 8) :D

And on that note I’m about to save myself a fortune as I’m about to go outside again on my drive in the freezing cold on my back dodging molten bullets, “not joking either”

Nothing of the value of these older Transit would be cost effective if you have to pay someone to do the work for you, I bet that even if I added up the cost of materials including zintec sheets of various thicknesses welding consumables ie gas etc, weld through primer, paint, abrasives, and all the new tools and equipment that us men convince our wives that we need to do the job then that would come to a fair bit, let alone my time and all the moaning aches and pains sh*t in my eyes and lungs full of rust dust that my 53yr old body has to endure.

I’ve just read what I have just written!

“WHAT THE FU#K AM I DOING!”
WHY DON’T I JUST SCRAP THE BLODY THING!
Tosh52
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DG-Unit » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Tosh52 wrote:And on that note I’m about to save myself a fortune as I’m about to go outside again on my drive in the freezing cold on my back dodging molten bullets, “not joking either”

Nothing of the value of these older Transit would be cost effective if you have to pay someone to do the work for you, I bet that even if I added up the cost of materials including zintec sheets of various thicknesses welding consumables ie gas etc, weld through primer, paint, abrasives, and all the new tools and equipment that us men convince our wives that we need to do the job then that would come to a fair bit, let alone my time and all the moaning aches and pains sh*t in my eyes and lungs full of rust dust that my 53yr old body has to endure.

It's the time though isn't it. Feels like value when you just count parts and sundries but I probably value my time at about £2.52/hr given how long it all takes me. It's alright when it's summer and you've got a mate helping but it's not summer and ever since I got this van I have no mates :lol:
2004 Transit SWB 85 T260
DG-Unit
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Tosh52 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:21 pm

DG-Unit wrote:
Tosh52 wrote:And on that note I’m about to save myself a fortune as I’m about to go outside again on my drive in the freezing cold on my back dodging molten bullets, “not joking either”

It's the time though isn't it. Feels like value when you just count parts and sundries but I probably value my time at about £2.52/hr given how long it all takes me. It's alright when it's summer and you've got a mate helping but it's not summer and ever since I got this van I have no mates :lol:

Time is one thing I’ve got plenty of but I didn’t really want to be spending on my back with 3.5 ton of rusting metal above me :?

I feel that I owe it to the old girl as I have owned it from 30,000 miles and it now has nearly 330,000 and never really let me down.

A mate would come in handy, I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve crawled under got myself in a perfect position got me helmet & gloves on and then realise I’ve forgotten to tern the welder or gas on, I doesn’t matter how much you prepare you always forget something.
Tosh52
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:44 pm

Tosh52 wrote:
DG-Unit wrote:

Time is one thing I’ve got plenty of but I didn’t really want to be spending on my back with 3.5 ton of rusting metal above me :?

I feel that I owe it to the old girl as I have owned it from 30,000 miles and it now has nearly 330,000 and never really let me down.

A mate would come in handy, I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve crawled under got myself in a perfect position got me helmet & gloves on and then realise I’ve forgotten to tern the welder or gas on, I doesn’t matter how much you prepare you always forget something.

I spent maybe 5 hours under my van which at the time pissed me off as the guy was a bit harsh with his lump hammer to make the holes imo, but the other work I've had to do has been a real test of mental strength :lol:
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Altransit » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:17 am

loot wrote:I spent maybe 5 hours under my van which at the time pissed me off as the guy was a bit harsh with his lump hammer to make the holes imo, but the other work I've had to do has been a real test of mental strength :lol:

Well, I spent no time under my van, nor crouching down beside it, so I'm relatively pain and stress free, although admittedly, I am much poorer :P :roll: 8)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits