*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby PistonMeetValves » Sun May 17, 2015 5:22 pm

Hi gang,

The van has been smoking, blue, quite a bit recently. Not noticeable when I'm driving, but at night when I look behind the van - theres a lot :shock: :shock: :shock: - going up a hill I eclipsed the Police corsa behind me last night. Started to think I'd added a touch too much two-stroke oil to my diesel, so I filled up with an additional £20 of Shell Optimax diesel to be safe.

Just finished changing air filter, engine oil filter and engine oil today. (used correct 5W30 Fully synth, as recommended w/ Gen. Ford oil filter)

After its oil change, I checked and double checked everything as normal, then fired her up.

Looking underneath the van, I could see the blue smoke appearing even on tickover now :S

I've read that my van takes 6.5L of oil with a filter change, but it'd be lucky if I even used 5.5 litres, and that made it look like it was over the 'full' mark. been double and triple-checking the darned dipstick, but still seems to look like its just on full, or just too much. I'll dip it later on again and report back.

From what I read on these forums, it sounds like a turbo seal has gone?

The van also has generally little power, nothing like its 100hp claim on the door :lol:

Very worried, will answer all questions. Considering going straight to garage tomorrow as I cannot afford another van :oops:


Thanks in advance guys 8)
~ PMV

'02 MK6 T280 100 in fetching white/rust ♡

Warren: 'These brakes, they're completely inadequate'
Burt Munro: 'I'm planning on going, not stopping.'
User avatar
PistonMeetValves
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 am
Location: Rattling around Scotland!

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby stevo » Sun May 17, 2015 5:24 pm

EGR valve knackered?
Formely ibanez2005

Your's is the new Ford Transit!

2003 100 T260 TDDi swb
User avatar
stevo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 4465
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:45 am
Location: Dudley, West Midlands

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby PistonMeetValves » Sun May 17, 2015 5:26 pm

stevo wrote:EGR valve knackered?


Thanks Stevo! It could be, how would I diagnose that? Quite a dear garage bill? :cry:

We've got 60-70hp sprinters at work, and they seem a lot faster than this old shed :roll: Could buggered EGR explain this? Have a colleague that used to deal with fords, and he said they used to have pallets of EGR valves arriving :shock:

Another question, could you blank it and be done, even if its buggered?
~ PMV

'02 MK6 T280 100 in fetching white/rust ♡

Warren: 'These brakes, they're completely inadequate'
Burt Munro: 'I'm planning on going, not stopping.'
User avatar
PistonMeetValves
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 am
Location: Rattling around Scotland!

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby walt1984 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Most people blank them off anyway you can get a blanking plate off ebay if u dont have any scrap metal kicking around. Not sure if they blank smoke when they fail. If its not leaking oil you could check it daily to see if its using any.
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
User avatar
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Craven

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby walt1984 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:37 pm

How many miles has it done?
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
User avatar
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2298
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:17 pm
Location: Craven

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby PistonMeetValves » Sun May 17, 2015 7:31 pm

walt1984 wrote:How many miles has it done?



Umm, about 146K. Little service history, so I'm working my way around it all :roll:
~ PMV

'02 MK6 T280 100 in fetching white/rust ♡

Warren: 'These brakes, they're completely inadequate'
Burt Munro: 'I'm planning on going, not stopping.'
User avatar
PistonMeetValves
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 am
Location: Rattling around Scotland!

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby PistonMeetValves » Sun May 17, 2015 8:07 pm

Having put it off for a while, and although it may not fix my problem, just ordered the correct EGR Blanking gasket, as mine is on intake side.


Only need 1, right? :S
~ PMV

'02 MK6 T280 100 in fetching white/rust ♡

Warren: 'These brakes, they're completely inadequate'
Burt Munro: 'I'm planning on going, not stopping.'
User avatar
PistonMeetValves
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 am
Location: Rattling around Scotland!

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby PistonMeetValves » Mon May 18, 2015 9:07 am

Strangely, yesterday it wasn't quite as smoky when I took it out for a hesitant run, but its hard to tell when I'm not behind the van, or its not dark.


Wonder if it could have been too much 2t? Don't think so. Plus, the old girl is seriiiiously under-powered for 100hp. Will fit blank and maybe rip intake and egr apart and see about cleaning.

Can't imagine what it'll be like if its not had a clean since '02 :shock: :shock: :shock:
~ PMV

'02 MK6 T280 100 in fetching white/rust ♡

Warren: 'These brakes, they're completely inadequate'
Burt Munro: 'I'm planning on going, not stopping.'
User avatar
PistonMeetValves
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 am
Location: Rattling around Scotland!

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby PistonMeetValves » Tue May 19, 2015 7:36 pm

My hands are kind of tied to get certain jobs done before I rip the inlet etc apart - Can I fit the EGR blank as is now, and see any benefits? :twisted:
~ PMV

'02 MK6 T280 100 in fetching white/rust ♡

Warren: 'These brakes, they're completely inadequate'
Burt Munro: 'I'm planning on going, not stopping.'
User avatar
PistonMeetValves
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 am
Location: Rattling around Scotland!

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby PistonMeetValves » Wed May 20, 2015 1:30 pm

Will try and do the EGR blank tonight if I get time, if someone can enlighten a daft bugger like myself? :lol:

Just wanted to know if its worth doing before everything gets cleaned out :oops:
~ PMV

'02 MK6 T280 100 in fetching white/rust ♡

Warren: 'These brakes, they're completely inadequate'
Burt Munro: 'I'm planning on going, not stopping.'
User avatar
PistonMeetValves
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 am
Location: Rattling around Scotland!

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby ake » Wed May 20, 2015 1:31 pm

PistonMeetValves wrote:Will try and do the EGR blank tonight if I get time, if someone can enlighten a daft bugger like myself? :lol:

Just wanted to know if its worth doing before everything gets cleaned out :oops:

Yes, fit the blank before you clean inlet
2024 Ford Transit Custom 300S Active 170ps Auto
2021 Ford Transit Custom 300S Active 170ps
2014 Ford Fiesta Sport Van 95ps
If she knew what she wants
ake
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 41846
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:19 pm
Location: The fair city o' Perth

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby angeleye » Wed May 20, 2015 2:31 pm

have you checked inter cooler and pipe work for splits,it will smoke if there a leak,and reduced power
angeleye
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 4058
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby PistonMeetValves » Wed May 20, 2015 8:23 pm

Thanks, Ake! Going out to fit it the now!
angeleye wrote:have you checked inter cooler and pipe work for splits,it will smoke if there a leak,and reduced power


Good god, why haven't I considered that? :roll: Will check when I'm out. Thing is, I've read about splits but never considered that my white garden shed on wheels might have some splits in its decade+ history of having no history :lol:


Will let you all know! If I'm not back in twenty to forty minutes, the transits mauled me lol
~ PMV

'02 MK6 T280 100 in fetching white/rust ♡

Warren: 'These brakes, they're completely inadequate'
Burt Munro: 'I'm planning on going, not stopping.'
User avatar
PistonMeetValves
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 am
Location: Rattling around Scotland!

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby PistonMeetValves » Wed May 20, 2015 9:39 pm

Right, that's her fitted - will do a short test drive and see how she runs!

Should I see all the soot escaping, or is that left for me to clean out, the blank just stops it getting worse? :?
~ PMV

'02 MK6 T280 100 in fetching white/rust ♡

Warren: 'These brakes, they're completely inadequate'
Burt Munro: 'I'm planning on going, not stopping.'
User avatar
PistonMeetValves
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:58 am
Location: Rattling around Scotland!

Re: MK6 2.0 FWD 2.0 TDDI - Loads of smoke

Postby knobby1 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:44 pm

PistonMeetValves wrote:Will let you all know! If I'm not back in twenty to forty minutes, the transits mauled me lol


Not good enough....that took you more than an hour... :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18719
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot]

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.