*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


2004 2.4 90ps Timing chain

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2004 2.4 90ps Timing chain

Postby petrolhead_rich » Thu May 21, 2015 12:46 pm

So I know this has been gone through a million times, planning on doing the timing chain this weekend as it's been rattling on startup recently.

So Ford have quoted;
Chain - £105
Tensioner - £83.23
Guides - £130
Cover - £80

Plus Vat that comes to £477, which is madness when you consider I only paid £1500 for the van, so called Andrew Page;

£214 - Timing Chain Kit

It's a BGA TC2000FK which seems to include everything, but I've been reading that these kits don't include bolts for the tensioner, are these particuarly special bolts or likley to fail if fitted & torqued correctly on re-fitting with locktite?

They can't get a cover though, again, is this essential, or if I'm careful can I remove & re-fit with some instant gasket?

Also the kit comes with sprockets, is it really essential to replace the sprockets?

Thanks in advance. :)
petrolhead_rich
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:46 pm

Re: 2004 2.4 90ps Timing chain

Postby APH » Fri May 22, 2015 9:41 pm

The bolts are a stretch type, and as such should really only be used once, I change all the guide bolts and the tensioner mounting bolts as standard now, as had one break on the tensioner blade in my own van after I re used it :shock: I've never replaced a cover yet, provided you bend it at the top to get it moving then carefully prize the rest off, you can bend the top straight again and re use, as less likely to leak up there. The only thing I would add, after 10 years of doing these now, I always change the crank seal, as you cannot re fit it without turning the inner lip inside out and causing a leak, and I change the water pump to block gasket, as they don't always re use very well, (I take the water pump and vac pump off as a pair, so don't disturb the vac pump gasket) you will need a new o ring for the coolant elbow that passes through the cover, have never yet successfully re used the old one :wink:

Don't forget you need a tube of sealer for the cover too..


Andy :D
Image
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
User avatar
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 2387
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:29 pm
Location: Gravesend, Kent

Re: 2004 2.4 90ps Timing chain

Postby Guy88 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:03 pm

i would never fit anything other than genuine ford bits,

BGA kits arent the best, i fitted one and it rattled from day 1,

FAI kits are better
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
User avatar
Guy88
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 17042
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:37 pm
Location: Banbury, oxon


Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Jumbomk7

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.