*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 Transit RWD to FWD conversion

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Mk6 Transit RWD to FWD conversion

Postby andz327 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:21 am

Nice one brother, thanks for info (although I can't see pics) will be next year now before I'm tackling mine I'm thinking to many damn commitments
Cheers Andy
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dieselhead123 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:53 am

Following a request from another forum member here;
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=172683
A little bit of information regarding engine mountings;

There are two types of engine mounting used on the 2.0 FWD Mk6's, early and late types. The 'early' is a steel bracket, the 'late' type having an ally top 'arch'.
Our experience from doing these conversions shows the the top chassis rails are the same on FWD and RWD models, BUT, when the FWD engine mountings were changed, (early to late), this necessitated a change in the location of the holes in the top of the chassis rails.
Early FWD engine mountings use a reinforcing plate spot welded below the top chassis rail plate, (inside the chassis rail), retrospective fitment of this plate requires it to be inserted inside the rail and spot welded in place. This requires removal of the rail closing plate at the front to the rail where the bumper reinforcing panel is secured to allow the plate to be inserted inside the chassis rail. Some very early RWD models have this plate installed at the factory. The 'humps' where the fixings for the RWD engine cross member are secured can be left in place as the early FWD mounting features a 'cut-out' to clear these.
On later models produced after the FWD engine mounting was changed you will find there are just four holes in the chassis rail top plate. First you need to remove the two 'humps' that accept the mounting bolts for the RWD engine cross member, you will see the four holes in the top of the chassis rail. The later FWD engine mounting uses a reinforcing plate welded on top of the chassis rail, this can be cut from a donor FWD vehicle and welded on top of the chassis rail, you will need to 'open out' the four holes to provide sufficient clearance for the captive nuts.

The gearbox mountings were also changed on FWD models, 'early' to 'late'. The later type features a large ally 'arch' similar to the 'late' type engine mounting. We always use the 'early' type gearbox mounting, even on a later RWD vehicles, as we have found that the 'late' type FWD gearbox mounting interferes with the ABS unit on a RWD vehicle. This 'early' gearbox mounting shares the mounting points with the RWD engine cross member, although the fixings are different. All but very early 2.4 models are missing one captive nut on the underside of the chassis rail, a 10mm 'rivnut' is the solution.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby The baileys » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi do you have any pics of the engine mount you used for drivers side thanks
The baileys

Postby dieselhead123 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:25 pm

The baileys wrote:Hi do you have any pics of the engine mount you used for drivers side thanks

Unless you have a very early RWD Mk6 with the captive nuts and reinforcing plate fitted inside the right hand chassis 'leg' then some cutting/welding will be required.

Use the engine mounting that corresponds to the age of your vehicle and install the reinforcing plate and captive nuts. Once the two 'hoops' are removed from the top of the chassis rail you will see the four pre-drilled holes.

If you visit Transitmania over the weekend;
viewforum.php?f=55

You will be able to inspect a converted vehicle for yourself.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby The baileys » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:06 pm

Thanks
The baileys

Postby bez » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:34 am

Do you have to swap full engine and dash looms?
if in doubt flat out!
bez
Cosworth Powered
Cosworth Powered

Postby Dziku » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:40 pm

I post a reply, but it have vanish somewhere.
Is it possible to do the other thing around? I mean fwd to rwd?
Here if you want low swb van it has to be 90hp fwd on 95% of cars, so i think to convert to rwd.
What do i need? Obviouslyengine, gerbox, propshaft and axle, but what about front crossmember, gearbox mount, etc?
Also is there a low(3.xx) ratio axle to mk6?
Dziku

Postby loot » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:37 pm

The floor height is different for rwd, it is higher so that the rear diff will fit under.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Dziku » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:52 pm

So for lowered it will not work.
What about for lifted edition? What about 4x4 options for mk6?
Is there transfer case and front diff for those?
Or can i ude front casing from tddi/tdci, and rest from xr4x4 sierra? Still need front diff for it, and way to put driveshaft thru sump...
Dziku

Postby loot » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm not an expert but would suggest looking at the transit County arrangement.

You could raise the suspension but would have to be careful with the angle of the prop shaft.
Or it would be a running gear, framework and the body bolted on top.

You could do what Guy Martin did and cut the body to make room but I wouldn't :lol:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby andz327 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:15 am

dieselhead123 wrote:I an sure I read somewhere that Ford did this at a motor show as a live demonstration, 20 mins?
Anyone got any more information on this?

The first one we did was a Jumbo, now sold on.
We installed a complete 100ps FWD set up, I have to say, the on road performance was quite good.

We have just completed a chassis cab tipper, the reduction in vehicle weight will increase available payload, I will get some pictures up of this one.

Interesting idea regards the 'twin engine', one for daily use and the other for North Weald

TIM
Was thinking of doing this with crewcab pickup but puting a BT body on instead of pickup bed for me as a courier nowadays..... Unfortunately life took over and this idea is on the back burner for now

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits