*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 Transit RWD to FWD conversion

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 Transit RWD to FWD conversion

Postby dieselhead123 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Done a few of these now, basically just a Ford parts swap.

Any one else done this?

TIM
LightCommercialServices
Sales, Service and Repair for all Commercial Vehicles
Body panels manufactured and supplied
07754 806004
http://lightcommercialservices.weebly.com/
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Mk6 Transit RWD to FWD conversion

Postby Punto443 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:06 pm

No, but can't see it being too hard :D

What about putting a fwd in a rwd, then leaving the live axle on the back and mid mounting a fun engine to run the back on the weekend :D
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby dieselhead123 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:32 am

I an sure I read somewhere that Ford did this at a motor show as a live demonstration, 20 mins?
Anyone got any more information on this?

The first one we did was a Jumbo, now sold on.
We installed a complete 100ps FWD set up, I have to say, the on road performance was quite good.

We have just completed a chassis cab tipper, the reduction in vehicle weight will increase available payload, I will get some pictures up of this one.

Interesting idea regards the 'twin engine', one for daily use and the other for North Weald :lol:

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby coacher » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:34 pm

A fwd chassis van with a low body like the Renault lo-loader would be good.
coacher
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby dieselhead123 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:21 pm

coacher wrote:A fwd chassis van with a low body like the Renault lo-loader would be good.

That was one of our possible uses, a twin trailing axle FWD recovery vehicle.
All chassis cabs shares the same 'deep' chassis rails as the RWD vans, but the 'bed' would still be lower if running 15 inch wheels.

We are just doing a few 'conversions' to get our 'heads around' what we need/don't need to change on vans and chassis cabs before we carry out our work on a 'keeper'.

As said, the Jumbo has been sold, here is the chassis cab tipper we are working on;

Those of you with access to ETIS will be able to confirm that it started life as a 2.4 RWD 90ps model.

The jumbo was also a 90ps model, with that we installed a 100ps FWD engine complete with the 100ps ECU, performance was better than with the 90ps ECU on the 2.4 engine :D

The chassis cab pictured above is running a 100ps 2.0 engine, but using the original 90ps 2.4 ECU :shock:
We have yet to road test the vehicle so are unable to report on performance but the engine runs well enough.

Pictures of the install will follow.
TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby V184 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:26 pm

coacher wrote:A fwd chassis van with a low body like the Renault lo-loader would be good.

i saw a mk8 converted to lo-loader spec at a show looked quite smart 8)
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dieselhead123 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:32 pm

V184 wrote:

i saw a mk8 converted to lo-loader spec at a show looked quite smart 8)

I for one do quite like the look of the MK8 front on a chassis cab, but that's for another thread :lol:

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dieselhead123 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:58 pm

Here's a pic of the chassis cab with FWD engine installed;
I will take a few more pictures to document the progress of the next one.

As Punto has said, this is basically a 'parts swap' exercise.
Remove the RWD 2.4 engine and gearbox, also the prop shaft, if fully operational these parts can be sold for in excess of £1000 :wink:
No need to replace the rear axle unless you choose to, we did with he chassis cab as these twin wheel axles sell rather well!

You need to remove the 'blank shafts' from the front hubs in readiness to install the drive shafts, it is also necessary to replace the power steering pipes from the rack as these are different between FWD and RWD.

Now install the complete FWD engine/gearbox and drive shaft assembly, remember use drive shafts with ABS 'rings' if your vehicle has ABS! You also need the complete FWD cooling hoses and a FWD radiator with the electric fan.

You can either code in the 2.0 injection pump or fit the injection pump removed from your 2.4 engine to the 2.0 unit.
If your RWD vehicle was fitted with a VP44 injection pump, best to install this on the 2.0 engine, you need to use the injection pump rear bracket and the injection pipes that came with the VP44.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby dieselhead123 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:10 pm

Just a note about swapping PCM's between vehicles, we did this on the previous conversion, when connecting IDS to the OBD port, the VIN number of the vehicle to which the PCM was first allocated shows on the screen;

Oops, did they make a 100PS 2.4 :?: :wink:

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:29 pm

dieselhead123 wrote:Oops, did they make a 100PS 2.4 :?: :wink:

They must have....it's right there on the screen.. :roll: :wink:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dieselhead123 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:40 pm

Jay completed another one of these conversions today, this time a LWB van;
Then it was down to me to get it on IDS and sort out the pump/PCM/key.

So which PCM shall I use :?: :shock:
A small selection of our available 'stock'.

Because of 'pin out' differences the Tddi PCMs come in two distinct variations, 'early' and 'late' types. The change being when the electronic cluster was introduced, fit the wrong type and you end up with a proper 'cluster F**k'.

If you wish to check the software contained in a PCM then just connect it to the PCM socket on your vehicle's under bonnet loom;

and 'interrogate' with IDS;

No need to program it into your vehicle and just 'reading' it won't upset your vehicle in any way, an 'early' PCM fitted to a 'late' vehicle will immediately display a series of dashes, (-------) in the mileage display. IDS will display the power output and chassis number contained within the PCM on the screen, then use ETIS to confirm the full spec of the vehicle the PCM was originally fitted to. I record these details on a sticker placed on the outside of the unit.
Should a vehicle require a replacement PCM as a result of an internal failure, such as water ingress, an appropriate replacement can then be easily identified from 'stock'.

Swapping PCMs is an easy way to provide your vehicle with a power upgrade, provided the additional components are also replaced :D

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andz327 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:57 pm

I was actually going to ask if anyone had done rwd to fwd conversions as I've been thinking about converting a chassis doublecab/crewcab lwb flatbed to fwd with a BT box mounted on the back in place of flatbed
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dieselhead123 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:09 pm

andz327 wrote:I was actually going to ask if anyone had done rwd to fwd conversions as I've been thinking about converting a chassis doublecab/crewcab lwb flatbed to fwd with a BT box mounted on the back in place of flatbed

We will be doing our crew cab soon, just started building the engine. As this will be a 'keeper' I should have a bit more time to document the installation process. There is additional work required when converting a chassis cab, rear spring hangers need to be changed as well as the rear axle.

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andz327 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:52 am

dieselhead123 wrote:
andz327 wrote:I was actually going to ask if anyone had done rwd to fwd conversions as I've been thinking about converting a chassis doublecab/crewcab lwb flatbed to fwd with a BT box mounted on the back in place of flatbed

We will be doing our crew cab soon, just started building the engine. As this will be a 'keeper' I should have a bit more time to document the installation process. There is additional work required when converting a chassis cab, rear spring hangers need to be changed as well as the rear axle.

TIM

Had thought about rear axle problem, but was going to pull the diff out and make a blanking plate and just chop the ends off the half shafts to use as blanking plates at the wheelbearings and just carry a fwd and a rwd wheels for spares
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby dieselhead123 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:13 am

Hello Andz327, The twin rear wheel chassis cab has the rear springs moved inwards to accommodate the inner rear wheels.
To overcome this on the twin wheel chassis cab we converted, we fitted a FWD chassis cab rear axle together with the spring mountings, (these just bolt through the chassis rails). Using the FWD spring mountings moved the rear spring outwards to suit the FWD trailing axle.

A bit more on this, we have another van in for conversion.
There are a few additional parts that need to be swapped, best done with the RWD engine/gearbox assembly removed.
The RWD brake servo is a larger diameter, this needs to be swapped for the FWD version. Simplest to leave the master cylinder in place to avoid disturbing the brake hydraulics;

The plastic scuttle drain tube is different between RWD and FWD, the RWD one will interfere with the FWD engine mounting, here you see the RWD version;

The FWD gearbox mounting needs to be installed. We use the early type, this bolts directly to the RWD chassis rail, (it shares the existing mounting points with the RWD engine cradle);

TIM
LightCommercialServices
07754 806004
dieselhead123
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits