*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


How does anti stall work

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

How does anti stall work

Postby flyerphil44 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:09 pm

Just out of interest. Does anyone know how anti stall works?
Does it use switches on the pedals and gears?
Does it sense when the engine is under load?
Just updated pcm and I now have it
Cheers phil
flyerphil44
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: Chorley Lancs

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby loot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:15 pm

Have it in neutral and press the clutch, it'll Rev it ever so slightly.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
User avatar
loot
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34206
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby flyerphil44 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:21 pm

Yes it does but not as much as when it's in gear and the clutch starts to bite. How does it know when the clutch is just starting to bite. It even works if you set off in second gear, or third. Not tried 4th. I was thinking it must sense load on the engine but i don't know how cause I'm a plumber and there's no water involved. I don't think :lol:
flyerphil44
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: Chorley Lancs

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:28 pm

flyerphil44 wrote:Just out of interest. Does anyone know how anti stall works?
Does it use switches on the pedals and gears?
Does it sense when the engine is under load?
Just updated pcm and I now have it
Cheers phil


Yeah...there's a switch on the clutch pedal which tells the PCM when to activate/deactivate it, I "think" it also uses road speed and possibly engine rpm inputs as a reference because it doesn't seem to do anything when you push the clutch in at speed etc...I stand corrected on this bit though... :D

I was a bit skeptical when I updated mine, found it a bit "strange" as I was used to doing it all myself...but since I'm a lazy twat and after having it activated for some time... I quite like it now. :roll: :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18731
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby loot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:31 pm

Well you take your foot off the brake (switch) then you give it some gas (variable switch) so it isn't hard to implement really 8)

Hill launch assist now there's a puzzler :lol: it is voodoo I'm sure of it :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
User avatar
loot
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34206
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby loot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:32 pm

Got no anti stall on the custom, I've stalled it a few times, the clutch is also very high i keep kneeing myself in the eye :lol:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
User avatar
loot
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34206
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby flyerphil44 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:34 pm

knobby1 wrote:
flyerphil44 wrote:Just out of interest. Does anyone know how anti stall works?
Does it use switches on the pedals and gears?
Does it sense when the engine is under load?
Just updated pcm and I now have it
Cheers phil


Yeah...there's a switch on the clutch pedal which tells the PCM when to activate/deactivate it, I "think" it also uses the speed and possibly rpm inputs as a reference because it doesn't seem to do anything when you push the clutch in at speed etc...I stand corrected on this bit though... :D

I was a bit skeptical when I updated mine, found it a bit "strange" as I was used to doing it all myself...but since I'm a lazy twat and after having it activated for some time... I quite like it now. :roll: :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

Yeah I'm a bit like that. Sometimes makes you sound like a learner when at traffic lights and stuff.
By the way, my mate moved to Sydney about 10 yrs ago. Do you know him? He's called sim. :lol:
flyerphil44
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: Chorley Lancs

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby flyerphil44 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:36 pm

loot wrote:Well you take your foot off the brake (switch) then you give it some gas (variable switch) so it isn't hard to implement really 8)

Hill launch assist now there's a puzzler :lol: it is voodoo I'm sure of it :-)

So are there switches in the gearbox to say when it's in gear?
flyerphil44
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 6:26 pm
Location: Chorley Lancs

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:00 pm

flyerphil44 wrote:So are there switches in the gearbox to say when it's in gear?


Only has reverse switch I think. The anti stall also seems to activate when not in gear....When I'm preparing to reverse out of my driveway and I put my foot on the clutch, it starts to work before I even put it into gear.. :? :? Smoke and mirrors, magic...witches and warlocks etc... :roll:

Lord Knobrot
Last edited by knobby1 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18731
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:06 pm

loot wrote:Got no anti stall on the custom, I've stalled it a few times, the clutch is also very high i keep kneeing myself in the eye :lol:


What....?? Are you 7'9" or summink..?? :roll: :lol:

I've split my chin open many moons ago when trying to kick start my old Honda 600cc single cyl dirt bike...kicked back luke a mule :mrgreen: ....seven stitches later..! Nearly knocked me out.. :shock:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18731
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby loot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:18 pm

knobby1 wrote:
loot wrote:Got no anti stall on the custom, I've stalled it a few times, the clutch is also very high i keep kneeing myself in the eye :lol:


What....?? Are you 7'9" or summink..?? :roll: :lol:

I've split my chin open many moons ago when trying to kick start my old Honda 600cc single cyl dirt bike...kicked back luke a mule :mrgreen: ....seven stitches later..! Nearly knocked me out.. :shock:

Lord Knobrot


I nearly broke my leg once kicking a cb125 iirc
Worse pain is when you slip off the kick start and scrape your ankle down the spiky metal peg :shock:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
User avatar
loot
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34206
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby loot » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:20 pm

flyerphil44 wrote:
loot wrote:Well you take your foot off the brake (switch) then you give it some gas (variable switch) so it isn't hard to implement really 8)

Hill launch assist now there's a puzzler :lol: it is voodoo I'm sure of it :-)

So are there switches in the gearbox to say when it's in gear?

There's no switches in the gearbox, the rpm and vss can work out what gear you are in i would say.

But i think you were over complicating it.

Try pumping the clutch and you'll see the revs bouncing, suggesting that it is just a blip it gives when you come off the clutch. :-)
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
User avatar
loot
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 34206
Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 6:06 pm
Location: North Wales

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:53 pm

loot wrote:I nearly broke my leg once kicking a cb125 iirc Worse pain is when you slip off the kick start and scrape your ankle down the spiky metal peg :shock:


Or when your foot slips off the kick starter and it then kicks back up and tears all the skin off your shin...just like peeling a carrot..! :shock: :mrgreen: I jumped about the place swearing, kicking and screaming obscenities at the bike for quite some time after that little episode.... :roll:

Now all my bikes have electric start....and I only get to swear at flat batteries.. :roll: :wink:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof..."Full Poverty Spec".

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
User avatar
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 18731
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby ake » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:59 am

Anti stall uses the clutch switch and the engine speed and load sensors to operate.
2024 Ford Transit Custom 300S Active 170ps Auto
2021 Ford Transit Custom 300S Active 170ps
2014 Ford Fiesta Sport Van 95ps
If she knew what she wants
ake
Site Moderator
 
Posts: 41846
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:19 pm
Location: The fair city o' Perth

Re: How does anti stall work

Postby Jim Archer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:40 am

Pain in the arse in slow traffic compared to my Mk6. Ease the clutch up at idle and it raises revs a bit more as it bites so van starts away with you slipping the clutch, then lurches about as you lift the clutch fully to idle along, as it drops the revs.

That said, my Mk6 caught me out at first after years of driving DIs - pick a gear, let clutch up, apply throttle as needed.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 3434
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: Southampton

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.