*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK6 2.4 5 speed, Rear diff 5.13

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: MK6 2.4 5 speed, Rear diff 5.13

Postby MK7 user » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:46 am

:? You said it had the old style tensioner fitted & you fitted the same again :?:

Yes....if the waste gate control arm is free you are good-to-go. :)

PCM....Powertrain Control Module - the computer (the software - the little man that lives inside it needs ousting).

The throttle position is read by the pcm....my software had a gremlin in it, a knackered peddle should generate a diagnostic code, mine never until the software was updated.

Low cost options first....boost pressure, fuel pressure, injector leak off, software type things :idea:

What you using for diagnostics....may be able to get boost & fuel pressure that way. :)
No Squire, not just any van....it has to be a Mk7 (VM.1) :D
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mnxtrany » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:30 pm

I did wonder if my van was restricted in some way as i'm fairly certain it's an ex council wagon ?

Some large organisations put speed limiters on the vehicles about 40 to 50 mph.
An uncle was a foreman for a large concern and he'd complain after driving one of the small tippers because he couldn't get it to go. Sometimes into 1st gear to get up a bit of a hill and not being able to overtake, that was in the 1960s and 70s.
Ford Transit, 3.5, Mk6, 2.4 (90PS) 88.76 HP 66.19 KW Duratorq DI diesel, 2000 Luton back, Tail lift, MWB, DRWD.
mnxtrany
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby wicklabilly » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:23 am

MK7 user wrote::? You said it had the old style tensioner fitted & you fitted the same again :?: me no speaky engrish Mr. MK7 User so i must be jive talkin'!

Yes....if the waste gate control arm is free you are good-to-go. :)

PCM....Powertrain Control Module - the computer (the software - the little man that lives inside it needs ousting).

The throttle position is read by the pcm....my software had a gremlin in it, a knackered peddle should generate a diagnostic code, mine never until the software was updated.

Low cost options first....boost pressure, fuel pressure, injector leak off, software type things :idea:

What you using for diagnostics....may be able to get boost & fuel pressure that way. :)

Ok i was under the impression that the early MK6 Transits (pre 2003) had a better designed cam chain tensioner versus the later 05/05/06 models. We fitted what i believe is the better of the tensioners available, part no: 1138760 (Mr. Spike2450 recommends this type on Youtube), the van already had this type of tensioner fitted but there was wear on the contact surfaces of the tensioner and the chain guide so we decided to replace them since we were in there. The new kit exhibited less slack over the old kit. I did wonder if those parts were in there from new as the timing chain front cover had the correct bar code and engine codes on the white sticker and it looked as though it had never been prised off, either way i'm now happy i went to the expense of buying and fitting these parts.

My mechanic has this fancy 'Snap On' diagnostics computer (4k's worth!!!) that has all the diagnostics for Ford, VW, Audi, Merc etc. I'll ask him some more questions about it and get back to ya.

boost pressure, fuel pressure, injector leak off, software type things will indeed need looking at. There is apparently a chap near by that can test all manner of Bosch kit so i wonder if i should have him look at / plug in and test my injectors and injection pump?

If there is potentially a gremlin in my PCM can i simply post it off to Vantuner for a scan and update (and possibly a remap at the same time) ?

Thanks for sticking with me on this epic saga.... :!: :lol:
2002 Yella Transit Crew cab Tipper. T350 120 bhp Fairly clean and literally no chassis rust. 2011 MK7 crew cab Transit tipper. T350 115PS Euro 4
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MK7 user » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:39 am

Alright buddy. :D

I've misunderstood what you'd said about the chain tensioner....now the penny has dropped. :lol:

What....a Bosch Master Technician :shock:....bugger me, that's handy :mrgreen:

As far as I know (never used it) the Denso software can test a Mk7 pump & Injectors while they are on the van....It'd be useful if a local guy can do it....don't be too surprised if it's in-house thou - as in, you remove them & he tests them on a rig.

I wouldn't consider a remap until it's running sweet on standard software....I'm not saying that's your problem, but later calibrations are known to cure running problems you never even knew you had. 8)

Back to the boost....prove its good with a pressure gauge reading & there are no leaks :idea:
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wicklabilly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:38 pm

Well hello there Mk7 user, Had my 2002 Transit smoke tested today and it looks as though the plastic inlet manifold may well be split as the smoke was clearly visible around it!

I will remove it and see if it is possible to repair it. It has the number YCIQ 9424 BG stamped on it and TPUK reckon it's a difficult one to obtain as they reckon it is a different type fitted up to 2002 :roll:

Ford want a silly £500 for a new one :!:
2002 Yella Transit Crew cab Tipper. T350 120 bhp Fairly clean and literally no chassis rust. 2011 MK7 crew cab Transit tipper. T350 115PS Euro 4
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby karl » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:57 pm

wicklabilly wrote:Well hello there Mk7 user, Had my 2002 Transit smoke tested today and it looks as though the plastic inlet manifold may well be split as the smoke was clearly visible around it!

I will remove it and see if it is possible to repair it. It has the number YCIQ 9424 BG stamped on it and TPUK reckon it's a difficult one to obtain as they reckon it is a different type fitted up to 2002 :roll:

you mean the black inlet manifold ?>

i have one if you carnt repair it
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby wicklabilly » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:27 am

karl wrote:
wicklabilly wrote:Well hello there Mk7 user, Had my 2002 Transit smoke tested today and it looks as though the plastic inlet manifold may well be split as the smoke was clearly visible around it!

you mean the black inlet manifold ?>

i have one if you carnt repair it

Hi Karl, Thanks very much. Yes it's the black plastic inlet manifold. Is the one you have new?
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MK7 user » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:28 pm

Well hello there mr wicklabilly :D

I've never tried Plastic Welding....it may be short lived until it finds the next weakest point....I think the manifold has a service life that when reached (due to heat load) it's gonna give ya' trouble. :(

At 500 Drakmar for a new one....I'd be getting some first hand experience of what an epoxy can or can't do. 8)

At least you know where ya' boost pressure is going....Bloody Ford. :mrgreen:
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Dave4583 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:15 am

MK7 user wrote:
Well hello there mr wicklabilly :D

I've never tried Plastic Welding....it may be short lived until it finds the next weakest point....I think the manifold has a service life that when reached (due to heat load) it's gonna give ya' trouble. :(

At 500 Drakmar for a new one....I'd be getting some first hand experience of what an epoxy can or can't do. 8)

At least you know where ya' boost pressure is going....Bloody Ford. :mrgreen:

Just had to replace mine. Got a 2nd hand 1 from a wrecker $250 NZD. Had thought about welding but not sure. I did find a post on this site that states they have welded there's as they were failing after increasing the boast. Mine has let go along the seam across the top.

DaveR
DaveR
2003 FORD TRANSIT TRAN350L TD XHIGH 4D MK6
VIN: WF0LXXGBFL3K82604
Engine No: 82604 2,400cc Diesel 92kW
Model Code: 016429; Variant: 0
Dave4583

Postby MK7 user » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:27 pm

G'day Dave-o. :D

I've heard the seam is a problem on more than one occasion....do you think it's worth trying to reinforce a replacement manifold in the same area with the epoxy weld before fitting it?
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wicklabilly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:49 am

MK7 user wrote:G'day Dave-o. :D

I've heard the seam is a problem on more than one occasion....do you think it's worth trying to reinforce a replacement manifold in the same area with the epoxy weld before fitting it?

well i'm hoping to buy a new one from TPUK or another Transit parts supplier asap. TPUK have a used one which they reckon is tested and ok but i would rather a brand new one.

I too was thinking about epoxy welding a new one to help beef it up. May sound silly but is it simply the inlet pressure that is too great and this causes the manifold failure or is it a combination of heat and pressure?

Cud ya paint a new one with silver paint to help it 'reflect' the heat within the engine bay? or direct some cooling airflow over the manifold to help it stay cool whilst on the move?

I don't think i'll bother with a remap if the new manifold (and or a new turbo) peps up the performance to an acceptable level as i won't want to put any extra strain the new inlet manifold!
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MK7 user » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm sure different people will have a different view....if most of them split on the seam, my initial thought is it's a design problem. :(

If its the original, it's 16 years old....does that age constitute an exceptable service life?

It nearly brings tears to my eyes just thinking about handing over 500 notes for a new one....don't think I could do it....in fact, I'm sure I couldn't. :(
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wicklabilly » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:25 pm

MK7 user wrote:Alright buddy. :D

I'm sure different people will have a different view....if most of them split on the seam, my initial thought is it's a design problem. :(

If its the original, it's 16 years old....does that age constitute an exceptable service life?

It nearly brings tears to my eyes just thinking about handing over 500 notes for a new one....don't think I could do it....in fact, I'm sure I couldn't. :(

Well i have no idea if mine is split at the seam but i suspect it is as i had it out previously to de-gunge it and it looked fine then but was obviously leaking all along. I won't pay £500 to Ford as there are 2 suppliers trying to source one for me now and they reckon it'll cost between £100-£170 so that's not too bad compared to Fords price.

Fingers crossed i'll have a new one within a fortnight and I may seal up the seam with Aralditite just to sure to be sure. :D
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MK7 user » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:53 pm

You'll not be able to see much with the naked eye....its a 'Hair line fracture' that expands as the boost pressure increases.

For the sake of a few extra quid, I'd fit some new silicon seals on the inlet ports. :idea:
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wicklabilly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:27 pm

MK7 user wrote:Alright buddy. :D

You'll not be able to see much with the naked eye....its a 'Hair line fracture' that expands as the boost pressure increases.

For the sake of a few extra quid, I'd fit some new silicon seals on the inlet ports. :idea:

yep i'm gonna replace them too as they are about £5 ferra set of new ones. I'm stihl on the hunt for a new inlet manifold though :roll: :D
wicklabilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits