*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk7 juddering/jolting/kangarooing under light acceleration

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: mk7 juddering/jolting/kangarooing under light accelerati

Postby kevincego » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:41 pm

My 2008 2.2 140 euro iv have the same synthoms but the outside temperature is about 18°c. Someone talks about engine mounts, it os possible a bad engine mount do this?
2008 Transit 140 SportVan
2010 Transit SportVan Trophy
kevincego
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Steve192 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:50 pm

I’ve fitted the 2 new sections of the passenger side intercooler pipes and as of yet haven’t had the judder/hesitation but I haven’t drove that far really to tell yet.
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby andz327 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:57 am

prototype3 wrote:
adam75pl wrote:I have same issue, not that bad but someone told me that it could be faulty engine mount...

Yeah I've read that too, I'll have a look at the mounts. Fingers crossed it's that straight forward! Somehow I doubt it :roll:
prototype3 wrote:
Frag wrote:I'm afraid I can't answer that,only ever worked with Fords own diagnostic equipment,
If you have the ability to update the pcm,I'd do that also.
Make sure the fuel filter,and fuel quality are good also before doing these resets.

Great thanks, I'll try using this ELM/FORscan thing to look for fault codes and if not I'll find someone to do what you suggested. It's due a service anyway so I guess I could get Ford to have a look.

Where are you based? Don't suppose it's anywhere near Gateshead?!

Cheers
kevincego wrote:My 2008 2.2 140 euro iv have the same synthoms but the outside temperature is about 18°c. Someone talks about engine mounts, it os possible a bad engine mount do this?
Nah

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Steve192 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:10 pm

Has anyone been keeping check on feul level during the judder?

Mine doesn’t seem to do it when I fill the tank but only starts when it gets below half. Possible breather problem maybe?
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dazza007 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:29 am

Steve192 wrote:Didn’t mean to just quote it with no attached comment, sorry.

Are the intercooler pipes a cheap replacement part?

The nearside pipe is about £100 and the offside was £35. The juddering has returned slightly but not as bad as it was before the new pipe. Ive got forscan this week and found p0671 glow plug open circuit cyl 1 so this is my next check. Its also developed a rattle that i cant find. Hope its not the chain.
Dazza007
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby DAZZ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:55 am

Has anyone had their 'monitoring gear' plugged in whilst the van is juddering? I would but I don't have any.
Just wondering as I have noticed that the tacho needle which is usually a smooth sweep and sits stable at chosen rpm, moves about if the van is juddering. Where do they get the tacho feed from, ecu or alternator?
Ta
2008 mk7 280 85 Crew cab - poverty spec :lol:
Replaced with......... a 300c estate :lol:

now sold, the judder did me ed' in :lol:
suppose my 350z and hayabusa will have to do for now :twisted:
DAZZ
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:21 pm

DAZZ wrote:Where do they get the tacho feed from, ecu or alternator? Ta

I believe the Tacho sensor is on the flywheel.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby DAZZ » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:22 pm

knobby1 wrote:
DAZZ wrote:Where do they get the tacho feed from, ecu or alternator? Ta

I believe the Tacho sensor is on the flywheel.

Lord Knobrot

ah that'd explain the needles unsteadiness then :?

my vans definitely loads worse now it cold.... :evil:
2008 mk7 280 85 Crew cab - poverty spec :lol:
Replaced with......... a 300c estate :lol:

now sold, the judder did me ed' in :lol:
suppose my 350z and hayabusa will have to do for now :twisted:
DAZZ
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Dazza007 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:28 pm

My judder is completely cured now, i had a P0671 code (not viewable on cheap scantools), i got 4 glowplugs changed. Cylinder 1 glowplug had failed with an open circuit. All sorted now and im getting 39.7mpg average.
Dazza007
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Karst » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Well, this made an interesting if confusing read.

Mine just started doing the same, just a few of weeks after a mechanic solved the black smoke problems! A couple of weeks later he also did some things to try to solve an oil leak, I'm not sure what he did, but he dismantled something at the top of the engine, then re-siliconed it and put it back together. I have no idea if it is connected to the kangarooing, but it started 2 days later.

The engine idles at 800 rpm, and it has lost it's usual diesel-type torque, I find myself nursing the clutch like it has become a delicate petrol engine. Yes, it happens when I take my foot off the clutch, or when I put my foot down (on the accelerator!) And there is no real persistent problem. It doesn't stall, or even try to at all other moments.

Looking at the last reply, I should probably take it into the mechanic for a diagnosis??
Ford Transit Mk 7 Panel van, ex-posty's, 57 reg, 2007. Duratorq TDCI 2.2 (85PS)
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dazza007 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:13 pm

How many miles has yours done? I've been getting poor performance and a smell of an old diesel in the back of the van, I checked the dipstick and found the same smell in the dipstick hole going into the engine, it was the brass rings at the base of the injectors were letting gases past. Smell your dipstick hole.
Dazza007
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:23 pm

Karst wrote:Well, this made an interesting if confusing read.

Mine just started doing the same, just a few of weeks after a mechanic solved the black smoke problems! A couple of weeks later he also did some things to try to solve an oil leak, I'm not sure what he did, but he dismantled something at the top of the engine, then re-siliconed it and put it back together. I have no idea if it is connected to the kangarooing, but it started 2 days later.

The engine idles at 800 rpm, and it has lost it's usual diesel-type torque, I find myself nursing the clutch like it has become a delicate petrol engine. Yes, it happens when I take my foot off the clutch, or when I put my foot down (on the accelerator!) And there is no real persistent problem. It doesn't stall, or even try to at all other moments.

Looking at the last reply, I should probably take it into the mechanic for a diagnosis??

I think the problem is that the different posts are possibly describing a different judder, and are not all the same.
Yours sound more like clutch judder :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Karst » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:06 pm

Altransit wrote:
Karst wrote:Well, this made an interesting if confusing read.

I think the problem is that the different posts are possibly describing a different judder, and are not all the same.
Yours sound more like clutch judder :?

A clutch judder Altransit? I would never have imagined that, but what do I know? I can't even imagine how that fits in. Would that happen even while I'm accelerating, no foot on the clutch? I mean, it kangaroos all over the place, as though the fuel is being cut off, but it doesn't stall...
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:13 pm

Karst wrote: I find myself nursing the clutch like it has become a delicate petrol engine. Yes, it happens when I take my foot off the clutch, or when I put my foot down (on the accelerator!)

That's what led me to think it is clutch judder :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Karst » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Altransit wrote:
Karst wrote: I find myself nursing the clutch like it has become a delicate petrol engine. Yes, it happens when I take my foot off the clutch, or when I put my foot down (on the accelerator!)

That's what led me to think it is clutch judder :?

Ok, I'm guessing here I don't actually know the mechanics of clutch judder. Is it possible to say which part of the clutch is at fault Altransit? I mean, the van literally throws itself around all over the place.
Karst
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits