*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Error code PO404 after EGR valve replacement

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Error code PO404 after EGR valve replacement

Postby Bohumir » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I've found answers to most of my questions on this forum over the years, but not this one!

I've just had the EGR valve replaced on my Mk. 6, (2002, 2.0 litre DI, 55kW) and done a thousand mile trip (so I'm now a thousand miles from the garage that did the work!) Four times, under different conditions, the warning light started flashing (the glow plug lamp). Twice, this was associated with a momentary drop in revs, the other 2 times I was idling in traffic jams and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Apart from the drop in revs, which lasted a second or two max., it didn't appear to affect the power and I continued driving normally until it was safe to switch the engine off and on again, which stopped the light flashing. At all other times, the engine runs beautifully - no rough noises or uneven idling, generally a fantastic improvement in performance since the valve replacement.

The code readings are below, my main question is how much I need to worry about this. I'll be in the UK on holiday for another 5 weeks doing fairly short trips then I've got another thousand mile trip back across Europe, where I can get back to the mechanics who changed the valve. Is it likely to put the engine into limp home mode while I'm belting along an autobahn surrounded by maniac Polish lorry drivers, for example, or is it the computer registering that something's not totally right but nothing that requires immediate attention?

Thanks in advance :D

===PCM DTC P0404===
Code: P0404 - EGR valve position control performance or range fault

Module: Powertrain Control Module

Diagnostic Trouble Code details

EGR valve position control performance or range fault

This DTC may be caused by :

Open Circuit

Short circuit to ground or battery

Damaged or worn vacuum hose

EGR valve assembly

Blocked hoses / filter / valves

Faulty or damaged PCM.

===END PCM DTC P0404===
2002, 2.0 litre DI, 55kW
Bohumir

Re: Error code PO404 after EGR valve replacement

Postby abiolayunis » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:48 pm

You said your van is 2002; how come you were able to to scan for fault code. I believe diesel vehicles before 2004 are not obd2 compliant. I'm in a fix as I have two vans - a 2002 Ford Transit and a 2002 LDV Convoy with same 2.4 Duratorq powertrain. I have been having a heck of time trying to diagnose or get fault codes from both as my obd2 scanner fails to connect to the PCM of both vans. Thanks
NB: I trust the host of professionals here will soon profer a solution to your question.

Sent from my TECNO F2 using Tapatalk
abiolayunis
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:08 am

abiolayunis wrote:You said your van is 2002; how come you were able to to scan for fault code. I believe diesel vehicles before 2004 are not obd2 compliant. I'm in a fix as I have two vans - a 2002 Ford Transit and a 2002 LDV Convoy with same 2.4 Duratorq powertrain. I have been having a heck of time trying to diagnose or get fault codes from both as my obd2 scanner fails to connect to the PCM of both vans. Thanks
NB: I trust the host of professionals here will soon profer a solution to your question.

Sent from my TECNO F2 using Tapatalk

IDS can read all transit codes from 2000 onwards....OBD2 for transits is late 2006 (Mk7) onwards.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Airthies » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:04 am

Was about to say similar as knobby but he beat me too it
Yr fault sounds very intermit, I'd be checking the engine harness for damage/wear and corrosion at the plug contacts.

Sent from my anu5 using crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Dave4583 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:01 am

Had a P0404 along with a P0409 on mine yesterday and found the plug connection on the EGR to be at fault. Had removed the EGR to replace the inlet manifold. Not sure if I just hadn't pushed the plug in firm enough. Van had gone into limp mode. All good now.

DaveR
DaveR
2003 FORD TRANSIT TRAN350L TD XHIGH 4D MK6
VIN: WF0LXXGBFL3K82604
Engine No: 82604 2,400cc Diesel 92kW
Model Code: 016429; Variant: 0
Dave4583

Postby Bohumir » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:44 am

Hi and thanks for the replies.

I met a Jaguar engineer at a party over the weekend who used to design electronic engine stuff. He told me to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and see what happens. He said that if the mechanics didn't disconnect the battery, the computer might be under the impression that the old valve was still there and be showing faults because the actual feedback it was getting was different to what it expected.

I've done that and now I'm waiting to see what happens... so far no flashing glow plug lamp!
2002, 2.0 litre DI, 55kW
Bohumir

Postby Bohumir » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:36 am

Sorry I didn't post this before - I've been a bit busy!
The fault was due to mechanics fitting a cheap Chinese EGR valve. A different mechanic took it off for a visual insopection and said that something inside was bent out of shape and would never have worked. He fitted a replacement from an authorised spares manufacturer and the problem went away as if by magic.... along with a sizeable chunk of my paycheck for the month :lol:
2002, 2.0 litre DI, 55kW
Bohumir

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits