*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Newbie — cold mornings galloping horse Name that Noise

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Newbie — cold mornings galloping horse Name that Noise

Postby prototype3 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi all,

I've read that Euro 5s are noisy when cold but my 13 plate 2.2 125 is making some funny noises at idle when cold starting first thing on colder mornings and it seems to be getting worse

Sounds like an army of galloping horse, I've attached a link to a video for your ears :?

You can feel the noise shaking through the cab, and in general the cab feels more rattly than usual.

Noise goes when I put my foot down and returns intermittently when I lift off, until the engine's warmed up at which point it's just a bit knocky.

Drives fine, no smoke, just noisy

Any ideas from you transit gurus?

https://youtu.be/ULxa5VingT8
2013 Ford Transit 2.2 125 300 Euro5
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Newbie — cold mornings galloping horse Name that Noise

Postby Jay2018 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Sounds exactly like the crankshaft pulley failing. Very common fault on the 2.2 TDCI. If you check your crank pulley you should be able to see the rubber all cracked and buggered. I was lucky on mine, because I managed to find a second hand Genuine Ford one on for £30. Star the van and get underneath and you should be able to hear the sound even louder if you stick your head right under the engine on the aux belt side. You might even be able to see the pulley wobbling like a bent wheel slightly.

Your one doesn't even sound that bad. In the end my one sounded like crazy loud rod knock. Changed the pulley back to smooth quiet engine. Also make sure you change it quickly if it is that because otherwise it has been known to wear a hole into the side of the timing case, then you're screwed. At the moment it doesn't sound too, but it will get worse.
2012 MK7 Transit Trend 125 T350 6 SPD FWD MWB MR (Frozen White) :D
2010 MK7 Transit Jumbo 100 - SOLD :(
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jay2018 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:17 pm

There is a good thread somewhere in the forum where I got a lot of information from when mine occured. Without that information I actually thought my engine was done for.
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jay2018 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:23 pm

The part number for my 2012 125 FWD 2.2 Euro 5 was -

BK2Q-6B319-BA
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby prototype3 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:30 am

Jay2018 wrote:Sounds exactly like the crankshaft pulley failing. Very common fault on the 2.2 TDCI. If you check your crank pulley you should be able to see the rubber all cracked and buggered. I was lucky on mine, because I managed to find a second hand Genuine Ford one on for £30. Star the van and get underneath and you should be able to hear the sound even louder if you stick your head right under the engine on the aux belt side. You might even be able to see the pulley wobbling like a bent wheel slightly.

Your one doesn't even sound that bad. In the end my one sounded like crazy loud rod knock. Changed the pulley back to smooth quiet engine. Also make sure you change it quickly if it is that because otherwise it has been known to wear a hole into the side of the timing case, then you're screwed. At the moment it doesn't sound too, but it will get worse.

Thanks mate really helpful and somewhat reassuring. Your diagnosis would make sense as there's always been a faint high pitched squeaky rattle from that area and I guess this is probably just the next stage of it falling apart.

There's a few used genuine pulleys on ebay for around £30, tpuk sell a new one for around £50 (which I've read is ford but with the info ground off?!) and then the sky's the limit looking at new from ford. Is it worth spending the extra or will a used/cheapo one do the job?

Can I reuse the bolts?

I'll have a proper look at the weekend and get my head under it
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jay2018 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:12 pm

There is a plastic cover in front of the crank pulley screwed into the chassis with three torx bolts I think. Once you remove that you should be able to see the face of the crank pulley and assess the condition of the rubber in the middle. There are a good few threads on this forum about failing crank pulleys, but there was one in particular that had some very good information in it. I just can't find it at the moment for you.

The crank pulley bolts can be reused at least once so you should be fine. Just use some loctite when you put them back in.

I can't advise you on the actual pulley itself, I was lucky I found a GOOD genuine one fully marked up for £30. I've only had it on for 5 months ish and it's been good so far. You might buy one second hand and it ends up with the same noise in a month. Or maybe the guy who broke the van for spares in the first place had it running and it was warm and didn't even know the pulley had a fault in the first place. So perhaps he never started it cold and just broke it for spares in the position it was in when it was running, WHO KNOWS lol I think I read somewhere here at the time that Ford have a new revised one, but yeah it's costs a load. Cannot advise on TPUK one, I've heard that as well, but if it is £50 brand new with the Ford bits ground off and Ford sell it for a SHED LOAD, then how is it genuine Ford? Dunno.

Again I'll try and find the thread on here.
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jay2018 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:52 pm

Just realised that all the information I got about changing the crank pulley came from multiple threads in this forum. There wasn't a specific one with all the required information. Just do a lot of reading lol. All the information is here and there.
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby prototype3 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:55 pm

Jay2018 wrote:Just realised that all the information I got about changing the crank pulley came from multiple threads in this forum. There wasn't a specific one with all the required information. Just do a lot of reading lol. All the information is here and there.

Great stuff cheers, yeah I've been finding loads of relevant info spread around on here. I'll have a proper look at the pulley and probably end up going for the tpuk one...

I'll keep this thread updated as I go

Thanks again for your help
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby willowill » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Definitely do it asap, my sounded exactly like yours and I thought I had caught it straight away. Got AA parts cover so took it to garage as I thought it would be a cheapy to get done, £987!!! Timing case replaced etc. I had to have the van for the weekend so ended up shelling out £400 odd (rest covered by parts cover). Never again.
willowill

Postby prototype3 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:35 pm

willowill wrote:Definitely do it asap, my sounded exactly like yours and I thought I had caught it straight away. Got AA parts cover so took it to garage as I thought it would be a cheapy to get done, £987!!! Timing case replaced etc. I had to have the van for the weekend so ended up shelling out £400 odd (rest covered by parts cover). Never again.

Thanks for the heads up, I've got AA garage and parts cover but I thought I had to actually break down before making a claim?

I really hope a new pulley will sort it but is there anything else I should be looking out for while I'm down there?

Cheers
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby prototype3 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Okay so had a proper look yesterday, pulley seems to run true, no wobble as far as I can tell. Typically the noise wasn't as noticeable either, possibly due to how hot the weather was yesterday? I did however notice that the rubber is starting to perish and crack slightly all the way around the pulley, so I've ordered a replacement from tpuk. I'll fit it and see if it actually makes a difference. I've also got a slight injector seal leak up top so I'm half expecting the symptoms to be a combination of both. I'll attach a (pretty poor) photo of the pulley, you can just about make out the cracks in the rubber.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby prototype3 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Okay so just done the pulley and belts and if anything it sounds/feels worse... :roll: any ideas?

Cheers all
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:23 pm

DMF dying..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby prototype3 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:31 am

Yeah I was beginning to think along those lines, but no regrets changing the pulley and belts as they were pretty shot...

Is there a way of checking whether I have a DMF fitted? Or did all 2.2 mk7s have them as standard?

Looks like it's time to hand the van over to a professional

Edit — just found more info on the forum, all euro 5s had the DMF.
prototype3
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:55 am

prototype3 wrote:Yeah I was beginning to think along those lines, but no regrets changing the pulley and belts as they were pretty shot...

Is there a way of checking whether I have a DMF fitted? Or did all 2.2 mk7s have them as standard?

Looks like it's time to hand the van over to a professional

Edit — just found more info on the forum, all euro 5s had the DMF.

Ford Etis will tell you for sure...but yes ...all Euro-5's have DMF's.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits