*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Power Steering Union Nut query.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Power Steering Union Nut query.

Postby guymark » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:22 am

Hi.

I have a Transit MK6 2001 RWD Box and the high pressure power steering pipe has failed (the low pressure did first but that was easy to sort).

I have purchased a replacement pipe (brand new) and noticed it was missing the nut. After a bit of a search on Ebay, I found what looked like the right one, ordered it fitted it and was a happy chappy for almost 5 minutes. At this oint the pipe came out of the nut and fluid went everywhere.

I examined the nut and both the rubber seals had been badly damaged - yet when I put it on, I lubricated both the pipe and nut with PS fluid and applied the nut by hand gently at first to make it register and then as hard as I could push it "home".

The nut I ordered was a 6742740 - yet I have since been told by someone, I should have bought a 4747355. I have tried to use Google to see if there is a difference but cannot find any comments. One advertiser even lists one nut with BOTH part numbers - so I am guessing they might be the same.

My question is, "Does anyone know what I did wrong please?" - the pipe was brand new and looked to be in perfect condition, the nut was brand new and also SEEMED to be perfect. I applied PS fluid to both the inside the nut AND the pipe and then gently aligned them - then firmly pushed it in as hard as I could (not a weightlifter but not too shabby either so it was pushed with some enthusiasm).

Clearly either I goofed OR the nut OR the pipe was defective. The nut looked wrecked inside afterwards - yet the pipe looked perfect (still had what looked like an olive drab paint on it) No sharp bits obvious but the nut's black seals were in bits.

Can someone point me in the right direction please as these nuts are not the cheapest things to buy and I couldn't get the old one off the last pipe!

Many thanks

Mark
guymark

Re: Power Steering Union Nut query.

Postby andz327 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:48 am

guymark wrote:Hi.

I have a Transit MK6 2001 RWD Box and the high pressure power steering pipe has failed (the low pressure did first but that was easy to sort).

I have purchased a replacement pipe (brand new) and noticed it was missing the nut. After a bit of a search on Ebay, I found what looked like the right one, ordered it fitted it and was a happy chappy for almost 5 minutes. At this oint the pipe came out of the nut and fluid went everywhere.

I examined the nut and both the rubber seals had been badly damaged - yet when I put it on, I lubricated both the pipe and nut with PS fluid and applied the nut by hand gently at first to make it register and then as hard as I could push it "home".

The nut I ordered was a 6742740 - yet I have since been told by someone, I should have bought a 4747355. I have tried to use Google to see if there is a difference but cannot find any comments. One advertiser even lists one nut with BOTH part numbers - so I am guessing they might be the same.

My question is, "Does anyone know what I did wrong please?" - the pipe was brand new and looked to be in perfect condition, the nut was brand new and also SEEMED to be perfect. I applied PS fluid to both the inside the nut AND the pipe and then gently aligned them - then firmly pushed it in as hard as I could (not a weightlifter but not too shabby either so it was pushed with some enthusiasm).

Clearly either I goofed OR the nut OR the pipe was defective. The nut looked wrecked inside afterwards - yet the pipe looked perfect (still had what looked like an olive drab paint on it) No sharp bits obvious but the nut's black seals were in bits.

Can someone point me in the right direction please as these nuts are not the cheapest things to buy and I couldn't get the old one off the last pipe!

Many thanks

Mark
Did you tighten the nut then push pipe in ?
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: Power Steering Union Nut query.

Postby guymark » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:07 am

Ahh No.

Neither the nut not the pipe came with any blurb so I simply pushed the pipe into the nut then fixed it to the van - Amazingy it (seemed) to go like a charm once I had finally managed to thread the rest of it. I supposed because the old one "came off with the nut", at the back of my mind the new one should go "on with the nut".

I take it I goofed.

After it pinged out I did then push it back in - but it then had ZERO interest in staying put.

I am guessing from your question that it makes a massive difference - but as it is clearly my day to wear the dunces cap, can you help me understand why that makes such a difference please - is it that the nut must not be rotated around the pipe as it will damage the seal or something - if so I could understand that making it leak - but not for the locking mechanism to let go.

(The OLD nut on the OLD pipe is certainly fastened on well - I think you could spin the nut on that thing for ever in a day and certainly walloping the end of the pipe with a hammer will not persuade the old nut to let go - original idea was to use the old nut)

Many thanks for a speedy reply
guymark

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits