*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

plastic trim ?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

plastic trim ?

Postby Hartley the jam van » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Hi, so the plastic trim down the driver side of the windscreen has come away to about half way down it's length , i'm guessing the little clips that keep it in place have broken, at the moment it's held down with duct tape, so i asked the garage that do my m.o.t. to replace it while the van was in for another job. They said it's a glaziers job,needs to be done for it's m.o.t. I thought it was a bit of plastic trim , held on with plastic clips which is now letting water in when the duct tape needs replacing ! Who is right ? Is it a big job to replace the trim or can i fix it back down with new clips and a bit of extra glue just to be sure ???
Deb
Hartley the jam van
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: plastic trim ?

Postby dumper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:15 pm

When I had new screen in my mk 6 the drivers side came loose took it back to the screen place and they stuck it back down with the same stuff they fitted screen with
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Hartley the jam van » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Was yours fitted on with plastic clips as well or just stuck down ?
Hartley the jam van
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:02 pm

You need new clips, as they can't be used more than once.

My solution was to hold it in place with a screw on the underside, where the trim fits under the door shut. I'm told it's a bodge, but it can't be because it worked :P
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby loot » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:05 pm

The screen is bonded to the van, the plastic trims originally are clipped on, the clips are removable from the trim but they do snap, you can get them from Ford and just pop then back on but you'll need to remove the trim completely usually then remove all the clips and insert them into the trim and push it on.
The window fitter may have them to replace but usually don't so they squirt more sealant into the trim and push it on.

The trim missing won't affect the performance of the glass at all, it also shouldn't fail an mot unless it is flapping about loose and I'll assume it is classed as dangerous to other road users or pedestrians etc or simply just a requirement that bits shouldn't just be hanging off a van :-)

The garage saying it is a glaziers job is a bit of a fob off and makes me think that they are a bit sh*t tbh :roll:

But if you were a little enthusiastic in suggesting it is something they should fix then they might have taken offence in some way.

Nobody to blame the clips do break, if a screen replacement was done recently then yes the windscreen guy should have done it better ideally.

It's a simple job though I'm sure you can nip and get a couple of clips and crack on :P
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Hartley the jam van » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:16 pm

i wonder why the garage made it sound like such a big job that they didn't want to do it and didn't just do a bodge job, sorry Altransit i mean screw it down !
So i'm guessing it's where the plastic clips are missing the holes are letting in water , so maybe a bit of silicon sealant as an added extra with new clips and maybe some extra glue just to make sure as it's not nice when bits of van start flapping about on the motorway !
And can anybody confirm for me , would it be an m.o.t fail if the top of the plastic strip is secured with duct tape ? I know thats a bit of a stupid question but i'm just trying to work out why the garage made it sound like such a big job ?
Hartley the jam van
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Hartley the jam van » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:19 pm

Thanks loot , you answered all my questions while i was typing . The garage are usually very good which is why i was confused over a bit of plastic trim . I will order clips and sort it myself. Thanks everyone.
Hartley the jam van
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby andz327 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:16 am

Hartley the jam van wrote:Thanks loot , you answered all my questions while i was typing . The garage are usually very good which is why i was confused over a bit of plastic trim . I will order clips and sort it myself. Thanks everyone.
The garage wont want to touch it in case when they pull trim off it and open up a can of worms , maybe pull a bit of polyurethane adhesive away from screen and cause water leak etc them its down to them
The new clips have small seal/ gasket tabs on them to help seal but a bit of PU wont hurt

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits