*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.4 tdci 135 bhp 2004 cylinder head cam tightwhen torqued up

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2.4 tdci 135 bhp 2004 cylinder head cam tightwhen torqued up

Postby eddy dar » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi im putting a cylinder head with same cam box on but cams are off a different engine. Ive torqued everything up but whilst with the helpnof a 1/4" rachet with a 13mm socket the inlet cam spins smooth but the exhaust cam is tight and seems to have a sticky point ie turns then seems to get stuck. What do i do look for another exhaust cam.
eddy dar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2.4 tdci 135 bhp 2004 cylinder head cam tightwhen torque

Postby karl » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:08 pm

what torque settings :)

and did you do it in the correct order :D

https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/trans ... tdci_(puma)_diesel/description_and_operation/diagnosis_and_testing/removal_and_installation/camshafts/

did you lube it up before fitting the cams in to the carrier.

i have done these engines many many times and had the same problem with some of them and never had a problem with them once they are running it will bed in to the cam carrier :D

i have even bought a brand new cylinder head and used all the old components from old head and that ran great :D
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby eddy dar » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:15 pm

Hi yes 23nm and in the sequence of the transit forums. It starts with 1 & 2 right in the centre then 3& 4 outer middle centre and so on.

I've put wet fingers of oil on cam bottom seating faces only. Would that be enough for it to go around when spun by hand. Before being torqued up.
eddy dar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby karl » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:21 pm

eddy dar wrote:Hi yes 23nm and in the sequence of the transit forums. It starts with 1 & 2 right in the centre then 3& 4 outer middle centre and so on.

I've put wet fingers of oil on cam bottom seating faces only. Would that be enough for it to go around when spun by hand. Before being torqued up.

hi mate i would just built the engine up and run it, it will bed in on its own mate

you are worrying to much :)
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:48 pm

karl wrote:
eddy dar wrote:Hi yes 23nm and in the sequence of the transit forums. It starts with 1 & 2 right in the centre then 3& 4 outer middle centre and so on.

hi mate i would just built the engine up and run it, it will bed in on its own mate

you are worrying to much :)

You never worry too much when you have a 135 tdci :twisted:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby eddy dar » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:49 pm

I hear what your saying. Will give it a go. And keep you posted.
eddy dar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby amlav » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:24 am

As Bamby and Karl suggested .... after all they helped me a lot when my timing chain jumped ....thanks again guys . 4 years and my mk6 tdci 135 still runs smooth .
Just make sure the camshafts can be turned by hand once torqued down . It should feel smooth and eventualy very small diference between the two of them in turning force by hand . As long as the friction is abouth the same and camshafts can be turned with just slight pressure it should be ok.
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jim Archer » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Check to see if the cam is bent - which it likely will be if it's taken a big enough whack the pull the carrier threads. It will be very easy to straghten, just take your time.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby eddy dar » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:11 am

Amlav thanks for the advice. My exhaust cam is harder to turn than my inlet. It feels as though its jamming on a spot . I cant turn either by hand. Im using a socket with a rachet to turn. Im not using a lot of force but defo cant turn by hand.

Jim you may have a point the exhaust cam may be bent hence why it has a tight spot on rotation.

I cant take a risk as it will be 3rd time i will have done the head. Im gonna strip it down and re-check it.
eddy dar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby marc1234567 » Tue May 24, 2022 5:57 pm

eddy dar wrote:Amlav thanks for the advice. My exhaust cam is harder to turn than my inlet. It feels as though its jamming on a spot . I cant turn either by hand. Im using a socket with a rachet to turn. Im not using a lot of force but defo cant turn by hand.

Jim you may have a point the exhaust cam may be bent hence why it has a tight spot on rotation.

I cant take a risk as it will be 3rd time i will have done the head. Im gonna strip it down and re-check it.

hi eddy. old thread so sorry. what happened with this?I am having similar issues. torqued to 23nm and tough to turn. 3 bolts in camshaft and can turn just about by hand but feels too tight. anyone observing like knobby maybd can comment on this? I had head skimmed, can't think that would affect anything but wondered if it might somehow? all the same cams etc . I feel like I could expect exhaust to be tougher as driving vacuum pump but both cams are tough . someone said about warming torque wrench up by using o tightened bolt a bit before but am wondering if torque wrench can be trusted. the first torque stage of 10nm and they turn ok but second stage 23nm and tight. I did put oil on journals .
Previous mk 5 (2000) Luton body (2012-2013)

Mk 6 tddi 2.4 125ps RWD dropwell luton (2018 - present)
Mk 7 tdci 2.2 125ps RWD Luton / taillift (Aug 2021-present)
marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue May 24, 2022 8:10 pm

marc1234567 wrote:
eddy dar wrote:Amlav thanks for the advice. My exhaust cam is harder to turn than my inlet. It feels as though its jamming on a spot . I cant turn either by hand. Im using a socket with a rachet to turn. Im not using a lot of force but defo cant turn by hand.

hi eddy. old thread so sorry. what happened with this?I am having similar issues. torqued to 23nm and tough to turn. 3 bolts in camshaft and can turn just about by hand but feels too tight. anyone observing like knobby maybd can comment on this? I had head skimmed, can't think that would affect anything but wondered if it might somehow? all the same cams etc . I feel like I could expect exhaust to be tougher as driving vacuum pump but both cams are tough . someone said about warming torque wrench up by using o tightened bolt a bit before but am wondering if torque wrench can be trusted. the first torque stage of 10nm and they turn ok but second stage 23nm and tight. I did put oil on journals .

I'm afraid "eddy" hasn't been on the forum since November of 2018...so you may never know what happened with his.

Are your cam carrier and cyl head a matched set, originals?? They are "line bored" as a pair at the factory. If "torqued correctly in the correct sequence" and you can turn the cams by hand, they should be ok....if the cams lock up totally, you'll have issues.

Cam carrier.PNG

Lord Knobrot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby marc1234567 » Tue May 24, 2022 11:29 pm

knobby1 wrote:
marc1234567 wrote:

Yeah 1 to 20 were torqued to 23nm . I followed ford tech service instructions 1 - 20 , stage 1 10nm and stage 2 @ 23nm. stage 1 seemed ok to turn by hand but 23nm can turn by hand if i put 3 bolts in but is stiff and tight. I am not that experienced with knowing if a torque setting feels right but it didn't feel that tight. in other thread about tight cams someone called karl was advising another member not to worry and would bed in but this is old and not replacement so not need to bed in I would have thought. If it is tight I would have thought would put strain on chanin , may cause frictions and overheating of the journal , possibly melting . I cannot undertand how it is too tight.

marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby marc1234567 » Tue May 24, 2022 11:39 pm

knobby1 wrote:
marc1234567 wrote:

I'm afraid "eddy" hasn't been on the forum since November of 2018...so you may never know what happened with his.

Are your cam carrier and cyl head a matched set, originals?? They are "line bored" as a pair at the factory. If "torqued correctly in the correct sequence" and you can turn the cams by hand, they should be ok....if the cams lock up totally, you'll have issues.

Cam carrier.PNG

Lord Knobrot.

I cannot say if a matched pair . I haven't replaced anything , just took apart , not sure what others have done before . It was running before I took apart ( pressurising header tank that is why it has been taken apart, after checking it wasn't egr cooler.)

marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby marc1234567 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:07 am

karl wrote:what torque settings :)

and did you do it in the correct order :D

https://workshop-manuals.com/ford/trans ... tdci_(puma)_diesel/description_and_operation/diagnosis_and_testing/removal_and_installation/camshafts/

did you lube it up before fitting the cams in to the carrier.

i have done these engines many many times and had the same problem with some of them and never had a problem with them once they are running it will bed in to the cam carrier :D

i have even bought a brand new cylinder head and used all the old components from old head and that ran great :D

I have a similar problem. both my camshafts are tight but the none of the engine is new , I am just reassembling after changing head gasket. my camshafts are quite stiff and only really move with bolt in the sprokets to get a good grip. feels to tight. torqued to 23nm . wondering if the over heating maybe did something to head .

marc1234567
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:46 pm

Generally if the head is warped and its skimmed, the correct practice is then to line bore the cam journals after skimming, I know this because i own a well known and famous car for warping cylinder heads a Triumph Stag, it's well documented that Triumph Stag Cylinder heads require line boring of cam journals after skimming of warped cylinder heads.

You also should not interchange the journals caps ...they should be numbered and put back in the same places.

Maybe swapping some around will sort it out if you've got them mixed up.

I've also seen some engine re-buiders in videos (cant find them now) put some sort of moly-based (Molybdenum Disulfide) grease on the journals during assembly

see here:
https://www.capitalremanexchange.com/wh ... ly-grease/

Better safe than sorry !

all the best..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits