*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fitting double seats into SWB transit

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Fitting double seats into SWB transit

Postby ikaku » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:04 am

Hi there I realise this topic has been covered alot but I have some specific questions on how to install (cheaply) double seats into the rear of a SWB MK7 transit that is not a crew cab and has no rear passenger seat holes.

First of all I want to do this as cheap as possible and also have the seats very easily removable. From what I have found on this forum the best way to do this is:
1. to line up seat holes, weld a spreader plate to underside of the floor and weld a nut to that (for each seat bolt)
or
2. find old bus seats and rails and fix the rails down. My questions are:

Anyone managed to do these welds without being able to raise the van of the floor safely??? (I last welded on the bottom of my wheel arch in my back yard and it was a pain in the arse just about squeezing under the van with a mig)
how easy is it to lower the fuel tank in the case that seat bolt position requires it
Any advice on how to line up seat bolt holes and double check it isnt going through anything important underneath?
Do back seats need seatbelts?
(https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-the-rear
this suggests that I dont legally need to, I will however fix them in for good measure but just wanted to know)
ikaku

Re: Fitting double seats into SWB transit

Postby ikaku » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm

also do the spreader plates attract rust to the van flooring? (as alot of the ones ive seen on old vans are rusted as hell, or do they act as a sort of sacrificial anode thing)?

ikaku

Postby ikaku » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Also are there any seats that can be bolted directly into any of the existing load bolt threads? as that would be a massive time saver

Thanks again
ikaku

Postby XBL » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Use the short unwin rails(they come with spreader plates and are insurance approved) and the attachments to pretty much any minibus/coach seats, the best ones are the vito ones.
XBL

Postby marleymaguire » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:29 am

I've got a swb mk 7 trend, it's got a double and a single rear seat in the back, both just bolted in with two inch plates for washers, the van came to me like this, six seats on the v5 and goes through the mot
marleymaguire
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits