*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Any ideas, any clue?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Any ideas, any clue?

Postby rodp » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:40 pm

So gents, I bought a 2005 lwb ht 115ps van in nice condition, no rot and no dents. But I bought it as a non runner due to the fact it was very very hard to start and ran like **** apparently. We got it back and found part of the loom burnt out, absolutely zero relays under the dash and various wires cut. Seller seemed genuine so don't know what happened, he even offered to start it for me on his drive.
Anyway, a pile of receipts came with it for rebore and pistons, crank polish (?), pump and injectors done at reputable agent, new starter, new alternator, new battery, timing chain and tensioners, new clutch etc etc. The new parts list is endless.

Well we eventually got it running once wiring was sorted and everything checked over, timing was out by one tooth and has been reset, but it's got a heavy knock from what appears to be the top of the engine and smokes like a battleship, are they prone to anything up top? Would one tooth out cause a problem on these engines?

Probably going to just buy a used engine for it anyway as I don't really trust the previous owners work, I think he was a little out of his depth. Shame really as he spent over 2k on parts for it.

Any clues on the knock and smoke appreciated.
rodp
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Any ideas, any clue?

Postby knobby1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:57 pm

Could just be a pump timing issue, have you had the codes read..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby rodp » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:34 am

Pump timing is smack on visually. The bloke who's doing it has a computer, don't know if it reads codes though? Van isn't mobile so can't take it elsewhere that's the problem.
rodp
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:46 am

rodp wrote:Pump timing is smack on visually. The bloke who's doing it has a computer, don't know if it reads codes though? Van isn't mobile so can't take it elsewhere that's the problem.

Get yourself a "modified" ELM-327 and download Forscan....and do it yourself....heaps of info on here about it.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits