*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK6 Overheating

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK6 Overheating

Postby darell108 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:16 pm

Hello

First time poster to the forum so please be forgiving.

I am having an issue where my Transit 260 SWB (2.0 liter) randomly overheats to the red line and then cuts out.

Heater is working and blowing hot air.

Driving around it runs fine and then temps will shoot in to the red and engine cuts out. Upon restarting the engine temps are back in the middle.

With the heater blowing hot air could this still be the water pump or am I looking at something worse.

Thanks
darell108

Re: MK6 Overheating

Postby wojciech » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:56 am

darell108 wrote:Heater is working and blowing hot air.

If heater is blowing hot air, it looks water pomp works correctly.
Propably CHT sensor in engine head is broken or his wires. It is solid state sensor, it works in complicated two temperature-range system (lower -40 to +78 C deg, higher +62 to +214 C deg). Usually in higher range it works abnormally - in overhiting first engine works with reduced power, if temperature is still increased - PCM stop engine.
But you wrote, that engine is beenig stopped at once. System of engine temperature measurement has implemented in PCM soft many protections - in case of short circuit, system assumes temperature 132 C deg and engine is stopped immediately (for example in case of opened circuit system assumes temperayure 120 C deg and engine works with reduced power).
So: check CHT sensor wires (short circuit to ground), if it is ok, exchange CHT sensor.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: MK6 Overheating

Postby darell108 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:47 pm

Just to help anyone in the future who has similar issues to what i reported.

Just had the van in at the garage today and they found that the codes reported are CHT Sensor not detected. They found wires in the loom had chafed and needed replaceing.

Not taken it out for a propper drive yet but it sat nicely at 90 degrees happily in traffic with no cut outs.
darell108

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits