*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Speedo issue

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Mk7 Speedo issue

Postby knobby1 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:12 pm

rocboni wrote:I Was planning on testing each sensor through to the ABS uni however was unsure of the pins and how awkward it would be, presume i need to test for short circuits to earth ect?

Hopefully ill get a look at the weekend. Seems a bit easy to fiddle the speedo though if all you have to do is disconnect the abs sensors or is there more to this issue?

Check the easy things first, look at each ring to see if they're still good, then the sensors themselves....then wiring etc..costs nothing to check.
As loot says, if they're not working, the ABS/ESP light should be on and there should be codes stored.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby rocboni » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:45 am

So, tested the 4 sensors, two on left side appear to be open circuit (greater than 2000ohms) the two right side sensors I get a reading one around 1150ohms the other around 1500ohms. This was done with a fluke multifunction tester on continuity. (I'm an electrician :D )

The rear ones aren't interchangeable because one is male the other female

Should I order two sensors?
rocboni

Postby rocboni » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:36 pm

Replaced front and sensor, speedo now working. Needs to change the rear left aswell. The ESP off light comes on briefly on start up then goes out, still not sure if the abs is working correctly, but will replace rear sensor and plug the computer back in see what it says.

Replaced the lower suspension ball joint, what a job I had putting the new one in!
rocboni

Postby VaporTrail » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:02 pm

loot wrote:Get it on ids live data, read the vss and 4 abs sensors etc. :D

Can anyone please tell me how to find the VSS ?

I have computer choosing limp mode on reaching 40mph when VSS signal disappears leaving only 4x wheel speed sensors.

I cannot find the VSS on the gearbox but there is something stuck into the rear axle from top on a thick cable, is that the VSS?
VaporTrail

Postby knobby1 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:43 pm

VaporTrail wrote:
loot wrote:Get it on ids live data, read the vss and 4 abs sensors etc. :D

Can anyone please tell me how to find the VSS ?

I have computer choosing limp mode on reaching 40mph when VSS signal disappears leaving only 4x wheel speed sensors.

I cannot find the VSS on the gearbox but there is something stuck into the rear axle from top on a thick cable, is that the VSS?

Mk6 or Mk7..?? You don't say which you have. Assuming you have a Mk7 FWD per your earlier posts..??

Mk7's don't have a VSS. The speedo reading for the Mk7's is taken from the ABS system. All the wheels have ABS sensors. If one or more of the sensors, looms or reluctor rings is not well, it will throw a fault code.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:08 am

I've found usually when 2 or more abs sensor faults appear the speedo doesn't work and mileage reads this - - - -
More often than not it's actually a broken wire from the loom to the sensor wire especially on the front inner wing areas , check wires carefully as break can be inside the black corrugated conduit sh!t , both front sensors are interchangeable if your unsure you can swap round,
On the rear to get round the different plugs you could use wire and small crocodile clips to connect the plugs and spin the wheel and see if it reads

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits