*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Unusal noise and syptoms

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Unusal noise and syptoms

Postby shug0801 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:56 am

Hi,

I have a transit 350 mwb 100 2.4 rwd tipper and its a mk7 on an 07 plate.

Yesterday as I was driving it i noticed the temp guage got to the normal position, (half way) and then when I started moving it would fall to cold and as soon as I stopped again it would raise.
I also noticed that sometimes there would be a tapping noise from the passenger side of the engine bay, not a death rattle but more of a very loud injector type noise or something slapping on the body work. This only happened sometimes, I think it was either when I started to get up through the gears or when I took my foot of the accelerator, ( i am unsure really as I was panicking).
The truck still pulls really well, there is no smoke coming from it and if it was not for the noice and temp guage I would have said there was nothing wrong with it.

On another note, the engine managment light has been on and when I read the code it pointed to the egr being faulty, I cleared the codes to see if they were maybe old codes or something and it has stayed off.

If anyone can help that would be appreciated or if anyone knows of a good garage to take it that would be great. I am located in Perth Scotland.

Many thanks,
Sandy
shug0801

Re: Unusal noise and syptoms

Postby knobby1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:51 am

With the tapping noise, check the injector clamps/bolts are still nice and snug.....they can tend to come loose and allow the injectors to "jump" a bit...hence the noise. The temp guage is the cylinder head temp, check the loom/plug to the sensor, passenger side rear of head, it may be loose or damaged etc...there's also a cam sensor in the same area, the temp sensor is the lower of the two.

Also check to see if the thermostat is working correctly, if it's stuck open it can cause the engine to run cool.

#6G004 is the temp sensor, #12K073 is the cam sensor...here:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... AwMTArMTMz

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby shug0801 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:01 pm

I will take a look at these, cheers for that.

Hopefully its going to be something simple to sort.
shug0801

Postby shug0801 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Maybe a stupid question but do I really need to drain the coolant to change the thermostat?
shug0801

Postby knobby1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:49 pm

shug0801 wrote:Maybe a stupid question but do I really need to drain the coolant to change the thermostat?

Not all of it, the thermostat is at the top so you'll only loose a small amount of coolant, just pop the thermo cover off and let it drain a bit....easy peasy.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby shug0801 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:50 pm

Well it turns out the temp gauge problem was the thermostat, but could I get the housing separated to get the thermostat out!! So brand new housing and thermostat later and the problem has gone.

The tapping noise however is still there. You can only hear it when the truck is moving but not when its just sitting ticking over so I can assume its not the engine?
I am thinking there is something in and around the passenger front wheel area but without hanging out the back of the pick up when someone else is driving along to listen I am unsure how else to fault find it, any ideas?
I have been underneath it and all over it but cant find anything and its really starting to annoy me now. :?
shug0801

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits