*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 2.2 85 - Fuel Pressure Issue

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 2.2 85 - Fuel Pressure Issue

Postby ticker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi All, I have had a breakdown and would appreciate any advice from the collective experience on the Forum. Any advice gratefully received!

Van: 2007 Mk7 SWB T260 85 2.2 TDCI FWD. Reg: KV07 LBK. 145,000 miles. fully serviced every year.

Short History:
Van has always had a rough idle and tendency to stall occasionally at junctions, especially when warm, for the 4 years I have had it. But NEVER ever let me down, been 100% reliable, always starts 1st time, my garage never able to do anything about the rough idle and occasional stalling issues!

On Friday I nearly ran out of Diesel after the filling station I was heading for was closed, limped to the next one on vapours. Van running rough and stalling more than usual for the last mile.

After refuelling (only to 1/3 tank, due to being skint!) van was rough and continued to stall more than usual and was hard to restart on several occasions. It also had a power flat spot at around 2000rpm. Felt like the engine cut out and then cut back in again every time I went through that rev band.

Unfortunately needed it for my weekend job over the weekend so had to keep going, even though it clearly wasn't well!

Saturday Night, (Approx 100 miles motored with a heavy load since filling up) the van stalled for the final time and would not re-start. Still had about 1/8 tank of Fuel in it.

Called the AA, he put some extra Diesel in even though it was not empty. Still wouldn't start.

The van started and ran when he sprayed Easy Start into the air intake but stopped as soon as he stopped spraying it in!

He Connected the Tablet and view live data which suggested the van was looking for 60psi on the Fuel Rail and was only getting 9psi

AA man called it a failed fuel pump and van was transported home on a lorry (It had valuable business equipment in it which needed offloading at my home).

He has provided me with these fault codes....

Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Engine control 1 - ZZH / Diesel CR/EDC DEN C1.1P0191 - Rail pressure sensor. Error Message : Outside specified range.U0167 - Communication with immobilizer. Error Message : Malfunction.P1103 - Air- mass sensor. Error Message : Signal too high.P2635 - Fuel pressure regulation. Error Message : Malfunction.P068A - Main relay. Error Message : Shutoff too early.

(Van has blanked EGR valve so Engine Light is always on)

I am assuming my running on vapours has dragged some dirt through the system and either completely blocked the filter, or damaged the pump.

My first thoughts are to try and flush the fuel line, change the filter, try and drag some fuel through the lines and then try running the engine again and then only go after the fuel pump if its no better.

But I would appreciate some advice if anybody thinks this is a classic set of symptoms or if this is screaming a known problem etc.

Also pre-empting a new fuel pump, my Van is old and tatty, not worth a lot, but I need it and can't afford a new one. Should I go for a 2nd hand pump off Ebay or a recon unit. I don't think it is worth a new pump. Also would appreciate advice on the best place to get any EEC re-learning that will be needed after a repair.

Best Regards,

Will.
2007 Mk7 t260, SWB, Low Roof, 85HP 2.2 TDCI, 6 Seater Crew Cab.
ticker
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 2.2 85 - Fuel Pressure Issue

Postby Punto443 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:37 pm

Id day you have a blown prv on the end of the fuel rail. Probably caused by a f***.ed scv on the pump.

I’d guess it’s been like that for 4years and has had no calibrations done or software updates.
I’d be very surprised if it was actually the pump itself.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby ticker » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:41 pm

Thanks for your reply. You may well be right.
How would you recommend I fault find the issue?

It has certainly not had any callibrations or software updates in the last 4 years. But then I've not fitted any fuel system parts so didn't think it would have needed a learn or calibration.

Is it only ford who can do the learns/calibrations or is there better or cheaper options?

Cheers.

Will.
ticker
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:45 am

ticker wrote:Thanks for your reply. You may well be right.
How would you recommend I fault find the issue?

It has certainly not had any callibrations or software updates in the last 4 years. But then I've not fitted any fuel system parts so didn't think it would have needed a learn or calibration.

Is it only ford who can do the learns/calibrations or is there better or cheaper options?

Cheers.Will.

These Denso fuel systems do indeed need the occasional calibration/tune. As the pump, injectors, SCV and PRV wear, they need a tweak to keep them running at their best. The latest software update was ~2012 so if it hasn't been done lately it may need it. Do you have "anti stall".??

I'm with Punto, yout PRV has probably blown and when this happens the fuel rail pressure is low, if it gets too low the PCM won't allow the injectors to operate....hence the no start.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ticker » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:20 am

Thanks again.

Where do people go to get the Software Updates and Pump Learns done? Is it still a Ford Dealer thing or are there local independent places that can do it?
ticker
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby daraioj » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:27 pm

ticker wrote:Thanks again.

Where do people go to get the Software Updates and Pump Learns done? Is it still a Ford Dealer thing or are there local independent places that can do it?
You do need IDS to do the updates. That's Ford's software but dealers won't do it (at least last time I checked) unless there's a fault that actually requires an update.

Here's a list/map of some people who have it. They should be able to give you a hand with it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... YKY7ZUgcrA
2010 2.4L RWD 100ps MT75 LWB High Roof
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:31 pm

What daraioj said....
I'm in Aus so not much help regards dealers and independent garages etc...I would check to see if the PRV is blown first, if it is you're wasting your time with getting the learns done. Pop the fuel return line off the PRV and see if there's a silly amount of fuel coming out at idle...if so she's blown...this is often caused by a poorly/faulty SCV.

IDS, ( Ford's own diag system) can do it learns and software updates, many of us have it. Forscan is also very good and free to download, but I don't know if it can do the software update....can do 90% of our needs though and is very user friendly.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:29 pm

knobby1 wrote:

What daraioj said....
I'm in Aus so not much help regards dealers and independent garages etc...I would check to see if the PRV is blown first, if it is you're wasting your time with getting the learns done. Pop the fuel return line off the PRV and see if there's a silly amount of fuel coming out at idle...if so she's blown...this is often caused by a poorly/faulty SCV.

IDS, ( Ford's own diag system) can do it learns and software updates, many of us have it. Forscan is also very good and free to download, but I don't know if it can do the software update....can do 90% of our needs though and is very user friendly.

Lord Knobrot
Nowt else to be said fella that tha gang hasn't mentioned but I'd put genuine fuel filter on it after sucky sucky of all crap in fuel tank and if replacing prv and scv valves you need to buy Genuine parts and not cheap copies as they can cause problems

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits