*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 Transit 350 LWB Chassis Rear Light Wiring

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 Transit 350 LWB Chassis Rear Light Wiring

Postby owenmk7 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:31 am

Hello I have a MK6 transit 2.4 90bhp 350 LWB recovery truck I have had problems with it in the past as some of you know as someone has D.I.Yed alot of the wiring with house wire and just twisting wires together (any i come across i use butt connectors to sort it out more securely) ect ect and issues with no speedo or temp gauge, no dash lights (assuming that one is related to this post) and stuff like that.
Since buying the truck i noticed someone had run a wire from the front airbox area along side the exhaust (brushing it in places) then down the chassis all the way to the back not supported by anything i thought this was odd as i belived it was probably a bodged way of getting sidelight power to the rear as the sidelight fuse blows when put on, but the side markers come on still ( they have been tapped in before the fuse by someone as they are led) and the rear lights come on with the ignition. So i had a little dig around and found that this was infact the right indicator...

Strange so i slid under the rear of the bed and found that there are alot of cut wires that have been bypassed or remade for some reason just by twisting the wires and then putting a thin layer of electrical tape round them, spome of the wires are even cut at both ends of the bed so are litterally doing nothing other than adding weight i guess :lol: anyway after probing the many cut wires i found the wire for the right indicator up the back of the truck just cut and left there and made the connection back there and removed the wire running from the front and it works fine so god alone knows why the previous person didnt do that in the first place.

i then started looking at the rear lights as i have no numberplate lights so tested that it works with an external feed followed it back to rear lights and the sidelights arnt getting power (as to be expected with a blown fuse) but i am getting a form of sidelight at the rear as the brakelight is getting 7V when brakes arnt pressed as the rears are led so they light relativly dimly im assuming this is something to do with the truck checking the bulbs with a lower voltage or something maybe..basicly all the wiring has been bodged and im fed up of having a massive rats nest of wires and boxes that go nowere under the bed (i also suspect the bed was once on a different truck and they cut the wiring didnt remove it and then slapped it on this one... only thing i can think of that explains the masses of wires that seemingly have nothing connected either end

So i will get to the point of this post...sorry i know iv gone on i just like to give all the detail i can

im looking to strip back all the wiring on the bed as far as possible into the cab (while trying to leave the fuel sender wiring in tact as thats one of the few things currently working) and start again because its so chopped and spliced over and over its just a mess so i will probably remove the tow bar wiring aswell as that dosnt seem to get indicator signals (and probably more i didnt test everything) or anything anyway and i dont have use for it.
I have found a picture online (have attatched it) that kind of outlines the route the factory wiring goes (number 4 on image is for rear lights im assuming i wont have number 11 as it says camper but who knows) but any help on exactly where this plugs in (assuming it plugs in as it seems to be a seperate loom on the catalouge i saw online) if theres anyone who has a clearer diagram or can point me to a program that is clearer or has any photographs of routing or where it plugs in that would be great of even if you know where it plugs in/begins (im assuming fuse box) and know which colours are for what it would be much appreciated.
As i say even just a clearer version of the picture iv attatched would probably help (i have added the key to the picture to aid in assistance here) although photos of the real thing are always a great help with these things. Even a good description would probably do.
iv bought a reel of 12v 7 core towbar wiring to do the job and hopefully keep it neat i just like to go into a job with as much information as possible so it goes as smoothly as possible that and i would also like to then check the rest of the sidelight wiring if there is still a short after replacing the rear part of the harness so would be handy to know the routing of that just incase.

Many thanks in advance :D .
Owen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 mk7 transit 2.4 140 350 LWB HR
2005 mk6 transit 2.4 90 350 LWB recovery
owenmk7
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits